Recalled/Assigned: Canucks call-up Nicklas Jensen and Bill Sweatt, assign Gordon and Kassian to Chicago

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Im not as pissed about it as I make it seem :) I just overreact sometimes...

Imo it's just not a great call, I mean sure we should do it more often with youngsters, but the situations is tense at the moment, and Jensen is being hyped up way over his head by some..

But I guess time will tell if im gonna look like a total dick tomorrow.

Meh, every player in our system gets hyped up at some point. Pinizotto even had hype!

I look at the Jensen call up this way: Sure he's got holes in his game, but his major strength is our team's greatest weakness. Get him the puck and let him shoot it, there's maybe two healthy forwards on the team that shoot it as good or better than him.

arsmaster*

'Hustle' and being physical are two different things. He might not get physical but he does have hustle to his game when he's at his best. I think it's hard to argue against a player who has that type of a shot and a knack for finding open spaces, as well as being good at controlling the puck in tight spaces. You can go far with that skill-set. I don't think his upside is higher than 55-60 points but I could see him being a 35-25 type of player if he maxes out his ceiling. That's pretty much a home run that late in the draft.
I see him being equally adept at making plays too. 30-30-60 is what I see as his upside right now, but upside changes over time.

I don't think he'll carry the Cy Young stat line from the SEL to the NHL. That's just me.

Im not as pissed about it as I make it seem :) I just overreact sometimes...

Imo it's just not a great call, I mean sure we should do it more often with youngsters, but the situations is tense at the moment, and Jensen is being hyped up way over his head by some..

But I guess time will tell if im gonna look like a total dick tomorrow.
It was definitely a different side of you.

You're just trying to temper expectations which is fine.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Meh, every player in our system gets hyped up at some point. Pinizotto even had hype!

I look at the Jensen call up this way: Sure he's got holes in his game, but his major strength is our team's greatest weakness. Get him the puck and let him shoot it, there's maybe two healthy forwards on the team that shoot it as good or better than him.

Here's hoping :D

I see him being equally adept at making plays too. 30-30-60 is what I see as his upside right now, but upside changes over time.

I don't think he'll carry the Cy Young stat line from the SEL to the NHL. That's just me.

It was definitely a different side of you.

You're just trying to temper expectations which is fine.

Well I live in Denmark atm, and in Denmark easter get's crazy...

Allot of alcohol involved, clouds my mind, get's me closer to the dark side..

iv'e always been weak that way :D

Ahh well, as crazy as this board get's sometimes I can always count on one of those crazies to temper me down...

Last edited:

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
'Hustle' and being physical are two different things. He might not get physical but he does have hustle to his game when he's at his best. I think it's hard to argue against a player who has that type of a shot and a knack for finding open spaces, as well as being good at controlling the puck in tight spaces. You can go far with that skill-set. I don't think his upside is higher than 55-60 points but I could see him being a 35-25 type of player if he maxes out his ceiling. That's pretty much a home run that late in the draft.

burr's best year is 35-32. you don't see him being able to do better than burr at some point if the stars align? the sedins will be here for a few years yet

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
burr's best year is 35-32. you don't see him being able to do better than burr at some point if the stars align? the sedins will be here for a few years yet

IMO:

Realistically: 45-50pts

Potential or career best: 55-65pts

Which if you ask me is great for a 29th.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Kassian is such a beauty, can't wait to see him back and healthy on the big club

ViCiieux

Feb 8, 2013
IMO:

I can actually see him with more points than that as a career best.
But he have alot of work before he is even close to being ready to NHL that I agree with you.
He still have heck of alot flaws to his game. But with a good development I think he can be pretty good.

I mean Matt Moulson is PPG this year and had 69 points last year. And he was drafted in the 9th round.

People just need to lower their expectations for now with this guy. Maybe in a couple of years development in AHL he will be ready.

(Saw all the games with him in AIK)

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Watching him play tonight, i think it finally clicked for me who Jensen reminds me of.

Drew Stafford. Now that it's clicked, it just seems too fitting. Just very similar attributes, style of play. Size and good at using it, but not punishing. Good but not great skating. Great shots. Smart players, at times looks 'lazy'. Jensen is still very young though, and hopefully if he finds the consistency that Stafford never has...he could be a heck of a player if he does. Stafford with largely the same tools and a very similar style of play can be a 30g-50pt player when he's on top of things. If Jensen could consistently be that sort of forward...that's pretty darn good.

Anyone else see it?

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I was going to say a 'poor man's' Jeff Carter, which is similar to Stafford as well.

I liked what I saw from Jensen today.

JA

Yeah to me he was a lemieux / gretzky hybrid type player.

wyatt_rovere-versteeg_zpscbc8ee3b.jpg

Nov 1, 2011
Well av did not put it as kindly as a conditioning stint today.

Farhan Lalji ‏@FarhanLaljiTSN 1h
AV re Kassian. "He could have played on Sat but I decided not to play him... His play prior to that (inj) had been fair at best" #canucks

Why does our coach constantly need to call players out in the media. It has already been an issue twice which resulted in us losing very good players (Mitchell and Hodgson). If you have something to say, say it man to man, not through the media.

My problem isn't the resulting "L's"....it's how we get those "L's". Little or no fight - it's almost as if the opposition team don't even really work up much a sweat. That's on the coach IMHO.

I hate our coach. The reality is, he and thus our team is using injuries as an excuse and that is inexcusable. As a fan, you can objectively look at something and say, they lose because of their injuries but as a player, coach, or anyone associated with the organization, you can't give yourself and easy way out (by blaming injuries).

I have no idea how this guy is still our coach despite almost no playoff success considering what he has to work with (and when I say almost, I mean he has one run to the finals which wouldn't have happened if Luongo didn't stand on his head in game 7 against Chicago).

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I hate our coach. The reality is, he and thus our team is using injuries as an excuse and that is inexcusable. As a fan, you can objectively look at something and say, they lose because of their injuries but as a player, coach, or anyone associated with the organization, you can't give yourself and easy way out (by blaming injuries).

I have no idea how this guy is still our coach despite almost no playoff success considering what he has to work with (and when I say almost, I mean he has one run to the finals which wouldn't have happened if Luongo didn't stand on his head in game 7 against Chicago).
Pretty ridiculous complaints, IMO

TheDiver*

IMO:

Anybody predicting numbers based on his first NHL game as a teen is just speculating.

The NHL officiating standards change a lot because the league is a joke and doesn't hold officials responsible.

Penalties went way down last season and the clutching and grabbing and dead puck era 2.0 stuff made it tougher on skilled players in an effort to "slow down the game."

This year, the league is on pace to call more interference by a huge margin: http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/...erence-penalties-this-season-than-in-2011-12/

Who knows what this league will be like when Jensen is 25 or 31.

TheDiver*

Why does our coach constantly need to call players out in the media. It has already been an issue twice which resulted in us losing very good players (Mitchell and Hodgson). If you have something to say, say it man to man, not through the media.

I LOVE THIS!

So indicative of every fan who is calling for the coach's head!

"He has no playoff success...except when he had playoff success...but that didn't count because the highest paid player on the team played well."

LOVE IT!

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
^^

pretty sure he made the prediction before the game, and to the other point I would assume if scoring goes up/down league wide, you could adjust for it. If Jensen is projected to be a 30 goal scorer, but it's proven that league-wide everyone is down 20% or so, then of course a 25 goal season would be seen as a success for him. Although it is incredibly difficult to project how these players will do in the NHL, it is really common

Last edited:

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Thought Jensen showed pretty well in his first NHL game. Made sure to backcheck and I thought his defensive positioning was decent too. His instincts on the cycle with the Sedins were promising too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad