Recalled/Assigned: Canucks call-up Nicklas Jensen and Bill Sweatt, assign Gordon and Kassian to Chicago

arsmaster*

So I hope that wasn't Gilman's direct quote on Farhan's twitter about not having the time to be 'easing Kassian' back into the lineup, because if it was, I question why they are ok, easing Jensen into the 1st line.
Seems like Farhan questioned the move just like I did.

Seems to be saying two different things out of each side of his mouth.
Ha? I don't get how you are interpreting that, they can't afford to have Kassian playing with a light work load (at this stage in the season and standings) so they sent him down to get ready again. And Jensen getting put straight onto the first line is not getting eased in, its a sink or swim trial by fire type of situation, forth line 4 min is eased in.
I don't like how the management is handling this.
What was he saying?

Basically said that the Canucks are on a slippery slope to creating a 'rift' by the handling of Kassian.

Mentioned that saying they didn't have time to 'ease' the player back into the lineup, but had time to put two AHLers with a combined two NHL games in the lineup, makes them look like they're talking out of both sides of their mouth.

Questioned taking Kassian off the Sedin line after he scored 5 goals in 7 games to start the year. It's not like the Sedin's and Burrows have set the world on fire since.

The gist.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Basically said that the Canucks are on a slippery slope to creating a 'rift' by the handling of Kassian.

Mentioned that saying they didn't have time to 'ease' the player back into the lineup, but had time to put two AHLers with a combined two NHL games in the lineup, makes them look like they're talking out of both sides of their mouth.

Questioned taking Kassian off the Sedin line after he scored 5 goals in 7 games to start the year. It's not like the Sedin's and Burrows have set the world on fire since.

The gist.

I probably wouldn't read too much into it. Perhaps they just meant that they didn't have time to wait for him to get his confidence back up before putting him in a spot to produce, and they'd rather he did that in the AHL, instead of trying to find it again on the 4th line or something. He did mention that ZK needed to play.

And all that while also giving Sweatt and Jensen - whose play had improved as of late - a look to see what they could provide.

stoneboat

Apr 11, 2010
From Gallagher/Province, an hour ago:

Right now Kassian is in Chicago for reasons, which on the surface, certainly puzzle the public. In fact, it’s largely disciplinary given he’s been photographed enjoying himself in some of the local nightspots when he’s supposed to have been nursing an ailing back. But the club doesn’t really want to say so. He’s young and inexperienced in this market — where everything you do is spotted, photographed and dutifully reported.

Goes on to say that's it's not a huge deal, but were trying to shield him from bad press by sending him to minors. However, the result is that the Canucks ended up confusing the public. Interesting read, especially for Gallagher.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver

Goes on to say that's it's not a huge deal, but were trying to shield him from bad press by sending him to minors. However, the result is that the Canucks ended up confusing the public. Interesting read, especially for Gallagher.

Meh, I find it pretty hard to care about his recreational time. It's probably a good thing we don't have Party Patty Kane here, though.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

:amazed:

Interesting...If there's much truth to that, it's not exactly good news.

vector209

Jan 7, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Meh, I find it pretty hard to care about his recreational time. It's probably a good thing we don't have Party Patty Kane here, though.

Party Patty has more points and goals than any Canuck this season, is leading his team to the top of the standings, and already has a Stanley Cup. I'd take him, his questionable choice of women, and his conservative tipping over most of these guys.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
Not concerned. Higgins was supposedly a party boy back in Montreal (dem pics :laugh:) and look where he is now.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

I don't have any issue with players partying, as long as they are good in the locker room and committed to the team

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Gallagher had a pretty good read on the Hodgson situation but as he points out, this is different. Hodgson felt he was entitled to be a top 6 center, while Kassian just sounds like an immature kid who hasn't quite figured out how to be an NHL professional. It doesn't necessarily point to a rift, but it does perhaps point to just how far away Kassian still is.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Party Patty has more points and goals than any Canuck this season, is leading his team to the top of the standings, and already has a Stanley Cup. I'd take him, his questionable choice of women, and his conservative tipping over most of these guys.

I'm more so speaking from a media hay-day point, not from actuality. Of course I would take Patty Kane.

stoneboat

Apr 11, 2010
Gallagher had a pretty good read on the Hodgson situation but as he points out, this is different. Hodgson felt he was entitled to be a top 6 center, while Kassian just sounds like an immature kid who hasn't quite figured out how to be an NHL professional. It doesn't necessarily point to a rift, but it does perhaps point to just how far away Kassian still is.

He seems like a humble enough guy to take his lumps and learn his lesson, though. And it sounds like the Canucks haven't lost any faith in him, which is a good sign. Kassian at 25 is likely going to be a special player, but probably go through some growing pains until then. Definitely reminds me a bit of Todd Bertuzzi his first year here. My friends all called him "Broken Head." But even then, you could see the potential.

Kind of back on subject, I can see Sweatt being a black ace for the playoffs after last night's play, but can't see him being re-signed.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Especially because of who we traded for him. Don't think Cody would be caught dead in a nightclub with more than a soda water.

An Organic soda water, at that. I'm sure. :laugh:

Kind of back on subject, I can see Sweatt being a black ace for the playoffs after last night's play, but can't see him being re-signed.

I mentioned it earlier...but it really wouldn't surprise me to see Sweatt as 'trade bait'. He doesn't add much in the way of real value, but as a 'sweetner' on a deal for a depth player for the bottom-6, he'd make sense for 'seller' teams in tank mode. It's all well and good to ship guys out for picks in that case, but they do still need warm bodies to punch time cards for the rest of the season. Sweatt could fill in as an unremarkable bottom-6 winger for a bottom-feeder tanking team for a dozen games fairly easily. And the upside for that sort of team as a 'throw-in' is if he actually shows some promise there and they decide to retain him.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
A couple of things. If the Kassian demotion is disciplinary it's disciplinary and they will keep it internal as it should be. Won't be the first time a kid needs to see a little reality and it won't be last.

I also don't think the easing him into the lineup reason is preposterous just because they played Sweatt and Jensen. Those guys are fit and up to speed while Kassian is not. He'll get a few games and if he puts in a good effort he'll be back with the team. Because despite what AV said, Kassian was playing well again before he got hurt and AV was rewarding him with icetime.

yoss

May 25, 2011
Hope we see Kassian back in the lineup sooner than later. Since apparently his back is good enough to play in Chicago.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
I tried to tell you guys about Kassian. The guy is NOT committed to playing in the NHL. He's got "higher" priorities right now that playing hockey takes a back seat to.

Maybe in a year or two he might mature a bit and realize he's throwing his career away, but for now this is who he is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
I tried to tell you guys about Kassian. The guy is NOT committed to playing in the NHL. He's got "higher" priorities right now that playing hockey takes a back seat to.

Maybe in a year or two he might mature a bit and realize he's throwing his career away, but for now this is who he is.

Give me a break. The Kid just turned to 22. Majority of people his age would do the same. Just because he parties doesnt mean he's not commited to play in the NHL. People make mistakes at young ages boo freaking hoo thats life

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDiver*

This city would have a cab driver's strike.

TheDiver*

Alex Ovechkin is the biggest party animal there is.

So is Mike Richards. and Patrick Kane.

I think they're ok.

Kassian is not that much of a partier. He has a steady girlfriend. If I was a 21 year old making 6 figures in Vancouver...you'd find me having a group hug at Brandi's in the middle of the day.

TheDiver*

Majority of NHL hockey players his age would not.

Would not party?

Are you kidding me?

Have you been downtown?

I'm old enough to remember when the Canucks were a young team. When the current group of dads and nice guys and veterans weren't in charge.

When the Jason Strudwicks, Harold Drukens, Matt Cookes and Brent Sopels were in their early 20s.

Hockey players party. It happens.

By the way, Kassian offered Roy the #9 jersey but Roy "won't take it because he's a good kid".

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009

What exactly did you tell people?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad