Recalled/Assigned: Canucks call-up Nicklas Jensen and Bill Sweatt, assign Gordon and Kassian to Chicago

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Canuck fans.

Shortest memories in the NHL.

my-short-term-memory.gif

If you think Randy Carlyle would have made Jordan Schroeder, Andrew Ebbett and our underachieving defencemen all of a sudden become a better team, that's fine. Believe your heroes just need a coach to do better. I used to believe that crap too until I saw one too many coaches in this league put out to pasture while the teams perpetually continued to struggle.

Going into this season...career win percentage:

Randy Carlyle, .582
Alain Vigneault, .581

Both excellent coaches.

But the Leafs' success is talked about ad nauseum by our Toronto based media...but there's a lot of hype. Over half their wins are against non-playoff position (currently) teams. They have the worst goals against among playoff teams in the NHL, other than the Jets. In fact their goals against is tied with the Islanders for 11th worst in the NHL.

If you look at their record against tougher teams in the East... Boston (1-3) Pittsburgh (1-2) Winnipeg (1-2). Against Montreal and Ottawa they are a combined (4-3).

So they've lost about 60% of the games against the top 5 teams in their conference.

They've beat up on Buffalo, Tampa, Florida, Carolina, Philly, Washington, etc.

You were already shown to be off in the AV thread, but look at how the Canucks are playing. We are now 2-5 in our last 7 against our own div, which is one of the worst in the league. Those two wins come agains the same terrible Col team as well. The team looks terrible, and a large portion of that is coaching.

There is no doubt injuries have hurt, but we should still be better. Take away our two hot streaks where our goalies were posting unreal numbers, and we look pretty bad.

Last edited:

Nov 1, 2011
You were already shown to be off in the AV thread, but look at how the Canucks are playing. We are now 2-5 in our last 7 against our own div, which is one of the worst in the league. Those two wins come agains the same terrible Col team as well. The team looks terrible, and a large portion of that is coaching.

There is no doubt injuries have hurt, but we should still be better. Take away our two hot streaks where our goalies were posting unreal numbers, and we look pretty bad.

I think this just follows a standard pattern for us. When Kesler is hurt, we only win games where our goalies play unreal. We do not have scoring depth when Kesler is hurt because we don't have adequate centre depth to support our very good winger depth.

As soon as Kesler is hurt, Schroeder is our best option and offensive 2nd line centre and to run the 2nd unit PP, that is scary considering that JS wasn't even a top line player in the AHL this season...I appreciate that JS is a young guy but just don't see top 6 NHL forward in his future as much as I want do. He certainly isn't there now and for me, now matter a lot more than five years from now for this team.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Getting Jensen in the line up gives him some film to review just in case he's needed for the playoffs. Lot easier to coach a player up when you can watch the film and say "you did this here when you shoulda done that" etc rather than "see what player x did there, that's right, what player y did is wrong". Allows the decision making process of the player to become part of the teaching.

Hoping for a good showing, and hoping to see him on the 2nd PP unit (at the very least). Not expecting him to come in and be a game changer, but if he can find open spots on the ice we know the twins will find him.

adamzilla

Mar 9, 2008
Vancouver
Not expecting much from Jensen considering the reports from posters of his play in Chicago.

Hopefully he can put his **** together quick though.

Not really understanding this decision honestly. Maybe him and AV really gelled last year.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010

Early in the season Canucks were only winning vs. their division people said "those wins do not matter as it is a weak division" now the opposite is true,:help:

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Early in the season Canucks were only winning vs. their division people said "those wins do not matter as it is a weak division" now the opposite is true,:help:

When you are losing to those weeks teams yes. What excuse do you have for losing to those week teams?:help:

The heart of the argument is this, We have only won games when our goalies have been lights out. We were winning games without Kes... when Lui was playing lights out. Now we only won a bunch of games when Cory was playing lights out, with I believe a .960 sv %.

AmazingNuck

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
Maybe it's time for people to accept that the team is just not that good? The defense lacks puck-moving ability and mobility. The forwards, offensively, have just never been that great. We were a well-oiled machine back in 2010-2011 when we had Ehrhoff because he made the system click. Since then, Ehrhoff has left and Kesler has been injured every year.. the Sedins have not regressed skill-wise, but the other teams know how to shut them down.

Honestly, there really doesn't seem to be a solution to our problems. When healthy, the team doesn't have any holes. However, having no holes does not mean the team is good. The players just aren't that great. Sure, we have a guy who can competently fill in every role... but only competently. Who excels at their role on our team? The Sedins sure as hell don't, as they are scoring way below expectations. Burrows? Raymond?

Hansen, Tanev and Schneider are the only ones who are doing above what is expected for their roles.

I have no expectations for Jensen. Maybe he'll benefit from playing at a tougher competition level, but I really doubt it. I think Sweatt can bring some energy.

ViCiieux

Feb 8, 2013
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated! :handclap:

Just a question, were you meaning to say Boedker instead of Rundblad? Just wondering because Rundblad is a defenceman and Jensen is a forward. Or were you simply comparing them as highly skilled players who are lacking in some areas?
Np mate. I meant Rundblad.

Both are skilled guys with their primary strength in the offensive game with some serious high-end skill.
Both are bad defensively, more important to be good as a defensemen tho.
They are both pretty bad in the physical game, along the boards etc.
Also a bit over the top "do it yourself" kinda attitude.

Jensen had some problems in the Swedish Elite League. He played a difficult game where he lost the puck in dangerous situation and tried to do it too much on his own.
He got to learn where to be creative and where to play easy.
But hey, if he can work on those things he can be a stud in the NHL, I think so atleast.

Sedin-line would fit him perfect with his skillset I think. Sniper with good hands. With the feeds from Sedins he could be a true goalscorer.

Not yet tho.
He will need some time in AHL to work on his weaknesses and adjust to the smaller ice-surface.

Edit; For the Boedker comparisation I havent seen him enough tho as a Swede but I watched Rundblad alot so it was easier for me to compare him with Jensen, even tho he is a defensemen and Jensen a winger.

Last edited:

arsmaster*

Maybe it's time for people to accept that the team is just not that good? The defense lacks puck-moving ability and mobility. The forwards, offensively, have just never been that great. We were a well-oiled machine back in 2010-2011 when we had Ehrhoff because he made the system click. Since then, Ehrhoff has left and Kesler has been injured every year.. the Sedins have not regressed skill-wise, but the other teams know how to shut them down.

Honestly, there really doesn't seem to be a solution to our problems. When healthy, the team doesn't have any holes. However, having no holes does not mean the team is good. The players just aren't that great. Sure, we have a guy who can competently fill in every role... but only competently. Who excels at their role on our team? The Sedins sure as hell don't, as they are scoring way below expectations. Burrows? Raymond?

Hansen, Tanev and Schneider are the only ones who are doing above what is expected for their roles.

I have no expectations for Jensen. Maybe he'll benefit from playing at a tougher competition level, but I really doubt it. I think Sweatt can bring some energy.

Enough about Ehrhoff:rant:

He was on our team in the 2011 playoffs, where we scored 8 goals in 7 games in the finals.

We also had the league leading PP last year up until the Boston game...Ehrhoff was gone.

Defense lacks mobility? :help:

Iceberg Slim

May 9, 2010
Vancouver

He was on our team in the 2011 playoffs, where we scored 8 goals in 7 games in the finals.

We also had the league leading PP last year up until the Boston game...Ehrhoff was gone.

Defense lacks mobility? :help:

Agreed on the last point. The Canucks have a very mobile defense corps, from top to bottom (with maybe a couple exceptions in the depth players). They also have a deep group of very good puckmoving defensemen.

They are lacking in high level puck rushing defensemen, however. Wonder if that's what AmazingNuck was getting at? In that regard, the Canucks did take a step back with the loss of Ehrhoff.

Speaking of Ehrhoff, and your point about the scoring drought in the Finals, we shouldn't discount the role of injuries in the Canucks' inability to score goals against the Bruins. Pretty much half the team or more was playing hurt, many with serious injuries that would require surgeries in the offseason.

Ehrhoff was hurt in Game 3 of the Conference Finals and required pain killer injections in his shoulder just to get through games. He was pretty much playing with one arm by the time the Canucks faced Boston, and it showed. He narrowly avoided needing surgery on that shoulder (apparently was first slated to go under the knife but ended up able to recover through rest and rehab). Similar issues with Kesler (who did need surgery). The twins were also playing through injuries and so on, and so on, and down the list (not a big fan of Bleacher Report, as a general rule, but this article gives a decent accounting of the Canucks' injuries: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...injuries-too-much-to-overcome-for-the-canucks).

Sorry to belabor the point, but I don't think the Canucks' scoring woes against Boston really support the argument you're making about Ehrhoff (at least if I understand what you're saying). One might even argue that the way the Canucks' offense fizzled against Boston, while Ehrhoff was severely hampered by injuries, is more indicative of an opposing view of that player.

Of course, this is water far under the bridge and I am more than sympathetic to the sentiment expressed in your statement here:

As such, I will endeavor to bid the issue adieu once more, hopefully not to revisit again for at least one calendar year. ;)

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Its confirmed Jensen plays with the Sedins on Facebook.

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen
Higgins-Burrows-Hansen
Sweatt-Schroeder-Ebbett
Sestito-Lapierre-Pinnizzotto

EDIT: 3rd and 4th is what I want idk if thats confirmed.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
See ya in a week Kass.

Well av did not put it as kindly as a conditioning stint today.

Farhan Lalji ‏@FarhanLaljiTSN 1h
AV re Kassian. "He could have played on Sat but I decided not to play him... His play prior to that (inj) had been fair at best" #canucks

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010

So when our forwards are either AHL calibre, or in Ballard's case, defenseman, the team doesn't look very good?

SHOCKING!! :amazed:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
This is an absolutely horrible call-up, Jensen that is.

People really need to lower their expectation's or else the poor kid is going to get scorched when he doesn't live up to what ever crazy things people thinks he is capable off.

He is not ready, and all he is going to showcase in the few games we will se with him, is a few shots, nothing more.. He will not bring hustle or defense and he will not be some offensive messiah..

I don't care how far up ***** street we are right now, this is a bad call!!!

I hope people are going to remember reality when he has played his games and we loose and his tally is still 0G + 0A.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Getting Jensen in the line up gives him some film to review just in case he's needed for the playoffs. Lot easier to coach a player up when you can watch the film and say "you did this here when you shoulda done that" etc rather than "see what player x did there, that's right, what player y did is wrong". Allows the decision making process of the player to become part of the teaching.

Hoping for a good showing, and hoping to see him on the 2nd PP unit (at the very least). Not expecting him to come in and be a game changer, but if he can find open spots on the ice we know the twins will find him.

I have no expectations for him, he is just a kid, I don't think that he can right the ship on his own, moving Burrows will have a bigger impact, but at this stage, one goal from a player can be a game changer with how this team has played, sadly

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010

People really need to lower their expectation's or else the poor kid is going to get scorched when he doesn't live up to what ever crazy things people thinks he is capable off.

He is not ready, and all he is going to showcase in the few games we will se with him, is a few shots, nothing more.. He will not bring hustle or defense and he will not be some offensive messiah..

I hope people are going to remember reality when he has played his games and we loose and his tally is still 0G + 0A.

If the kid doesn't at least hustle than he doesn't deserve to be in the NHL. Pretty simple.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I think this just follows a standard pattern for us. When Kesler is hurt, we only win games where our goalies play unreal. We do not have scoring depth when Kesler is hurt because we don't have adequate centre depth to support our very good winger depth.
My problem isn't the resulting "L's"....it's how we get those "L's". Little or no fight - it's almost as if the opposition team don't even really work up much a sweat. That's on the coach IMHO.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
If the kid doesn't at least hustle than he doesn't deserve to be in the NHL. Pretty simple.

Well then he might never be.. Im not all that high on Jensen as others are.. I rate him lower..

I know Tiranis will disagree, and I admit I have not watched many AHL games with Jensen. But the games I have watched with him, with Oshawa (Parent's live in Toronto), Denmark and AIK, he seems to shy away from it.

He does not seem to want to get too physical, and as per that I would really lower my expectations of him..

Not a bash, I just don't see Jensen being the saviour of this franchise as some see him.

But I don't want to see the kid wrecked because of unrealistic expectations from a very emotionally involved hockey city..

arsmaster*

Well then he might never be.. Im not all that high on Jensen as others are.. I rate him lower..

I know Tiranis will disagree, and I admit I have not watched many AHL games with Jensen. But the games I have watched with him, with Oshawa (Parent's live in Toronto), Denmark and AIK, he seems to shy away from it.

He does not seem to want to get too physical, and as per that I would really lower my expectations of him..

Not a bash, I just don't see Jensen being the saviour of this franchise as some see him.

He's not out there to be a physical presence though.

I don't think anyone expects him to run guys through the boards, like ever....

It will be about his willingness to play in traffic (scored most of his goals in SEL in traffic).

I also don't think many expect him to be a savior here either, it's a rookie getting a look in the NHL....that's it. Is it really any worse than having anyone else in the lineup? I don't think so.

It's just another part of his development...it's something I'd like the Canucks to do more often, give these kids a game or two in the show, to provide context on why and what they are developing. I'd like to see Gaunce get a game or two next year as well.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

both hodgson and schroeder had adequate but inauspicious starts and nobody gave up on them. i think most people realize that jensen is still literally a teenager

edit: oh his birthday was last month. close enough!

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
'Hustle' and being physical are two different things. He might not get physical but he does have hustle to his game when he's at his best. I think it's hard to argue against a player who has that type of a shot and a knack for finding open spaces, as well as being good at controlling the puck in tight spaces. You can go far with that skill-set. I don't think his upside is higher than 55-60 points but I could see him being a 35-25 type of player if he maxes out his ceiling. That's pretty much a home run that late in the draft.

Last edited:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
He's not out there to be a physical presence though.

I don't think anyone expects him to run guys through the boards, like ever....

It will be about his willingness to play in traffic (scored most of his goals in SEL in traffic).

I also don't think many expect him to be a savior here either, it's a rookie getting a look in the NHL....that's it. Is it really any worse than having anyone else in the lineup? I don't think so.

It's just another part of his development...it's something I'd like the Canucks to do more often, give these kids a game or two in the show, to provide context on why and what they are developing. I'd like to see Gaunce get a game or two next year as well.

Im not as pissed about it as I make it seem :) I just overreact sometimes...

Imo it's just not a great call, I mean sure we should do it more often with youngsters, but the situations is tense at the moment, and Jensen is being hyped up way over his head by some..

But I guess time will tell if im gonna look like a total dick tomorrow.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
'Hustle' and being physical are two different things. He might not get physical but he does have hustle to his game when he's at his best. I think it's hard to argue with a player who has that type of a shot and a knack for finding open spaces, as well as being good at controlling the puck in tight spaces. You can go far with that skill-set. I don't think his upside is higher than 55-60 points but I could see him being a 35-25 type of player if he maxes out his ceiling. That's pretty much a home run that late in the draft.

Might not have expressed my self clear enough, but I did not intend to make it seem as if they are the same thing :)

: Sorry about the double post...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad