Rumor: Canucks are targeting U-24s that has underwhelmed during their ELC. Which players fit this profile?

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Canucks management thinks they can speed up a path to playoff contention this way, but really all it will do is make their rebuild take longer. This is a star driven league, best way to find stars is with high picks.

They should be trading their 25-29 year old players for extra firsts and build through the draft. Making trades like they did for Ekman-Larsson and Garland is ill advised.

Reactions: Breakers

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Nashville is actually one of the team being brought up by insiders as a team really interested in Horvat, especially extended.

speculated targeted players are Tomasino, L'hereuex, Matier

That would be such a Nashville thing to do, go after yet another 27 year old having a career year just to try and make the wild card spot. We need to fire Hynes before he ruins our entire prospect pool.

We're a complete mess.

Tempo

Jun 13, 2019
They are?

Horvat
Pettersson
Hughes
Boeser
Demko

That’s 5 players in 10 years of draft.

We have so many promising youngsters that fizzled out faster than a can of day old soda.

Shinkaruk, Cole Cassels, Virtanen, Gaudette, Brisebois, Juolevi, Kole Lind, DiPietro, Woo, etc.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
If I had to bet an over or under? Vancouver would be the team that gets the most draft capital this deadline. If all the rumors are true. Horvat, Pettersson, Miller?

Vancouver can easily get Bedard with its own pick, and have 6 draft picks in the first two rounds, this season and future seasons. That where my over bet would be placed.

Vancouver looks absolutely solid if they want to blow it up.

Future looks amazingly bright if Rutherford goes down that rabbit hole
I'd be all for trading Horvat, would consider Miller if he's into it as signing a player and then trading him before NT kicks in wouldn't look good for future signing players. As for Pettersson he is the franchise for myself not willing to deal him. I'd personally trade Hughes before EP. Your right though we really could blow it all up and start from scratch with a ton of assets if we were to deal everyone.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Didn’t work for 7 years

Might as well continue with that trend of an arrogant mindset that you know better than the other team and continue to bleed assets.

Reactions: thefutures

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
That’s 5 players in 10 years of draft.

We have so many promising youngsters that fizzled out faster than a can of day old soda.

Shinkaruk, Cole Cassels, Virtanen, Gaudette, Brisebois, Juolevi, Kole Lind, DiPietro, Woo, etc.

Thats literally almost every teams draft outlook.

The goal is to have 1-2 NHLers come out of every draft. The fact that they were able to develop some franchise cornerstone is very big.

Canucks have lots of problems, player development is not one of them.

The bigger issue is they have previously traded alot of draft picks which means less dart at the dart board which some might conclude as a team that is bad a turning out prospects.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This is exactly what JR did in Pittsburgh when he targeted guys like McCann, Sheahan, Rodrigues and Jankowski. Some of them worked decently well, but the upside was pretty limited and about as many of them failed as worked.

This is a completely valid way to build up your bottom-6, but I don't really think it's a super valid way to actually "retool" the team like JR wants. You're spending assets on effectively lottery tickets, which at best will give you good depth pieces and has a high failure rate. I don't see that as really helping the Canucks much.

Reactions: NyQuil

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Cough Filip Zadina, Cough Filip Zadina, Cough Filip Zadina.

I think Gustav Lindstrom is probably the better fit for the Canucks in this case. What's the story with him these days anyway? Seems like he's really fallen out of favor quickly, rather than taking the expected step forward.

I'm not sure another kinda soft skill winger like Zadina is necessarily what they need, especially one who hasn't established himself as much of a scorer. But otherwise, it does sound an awful lot like the sort of player they're targeting, on the surface description. High pedigree misfit toys. Maybe if they're moving at least one of Boeser/Garland out, and presumably Horvat as well.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
blackhawks might be looking to move on from RD ian mictchell had 11 goals and 35 pts in 57 games in AHL and his JR at Denver was nearly a PT/PG player 2-3 years ago

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I think Gustav Lindstrom is probably the better fit for the Canucks in this case. What's the story with him these days anyway? Seems like he's really fallen out of favor quickly, rather than taking the expected step forward.

I'm not sure another kinda soft skill winger like Zadina is necessarily what they need, especially one who hasn't established himself as much of a scorer. But otherwise, it does sound an awful lot like the sort of player they're targeting, on the surface description. High pedigree misfit toys. Maybe if they're moving at least one of Boeser/Garland out, and presumably Horvat as well.
I think Vancouver has their own, better version of Lindström in Filip Johansson.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
Kakko has been much better than his stat sheet says, so I’d say more than likely he’s not available.

Laf more than likely isn’t going to get traded, but he could probably be had for a price I’m not sure Vancouver would want to pay.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Thats literally almost every teams draft outlook.

The goal is to have 1-2 NHLers come out of every draft. The fact that they were able to develop some franchise cornerstone is very big.

Canucks have lots of problems, player development is not one of them.

The bigger issue is they have previously traded alot of draft picks which means less dart at the dart board which some might conclude as a team that is bad a turning out prospects.

Player Development is absolutely a serious and ongoing problem for the Canucks.

They're produced some NHL talent, but it's all basically been outsourced development, or learning at the NHL level. Who of any real substance has actually come up through the Canucks development system, and specifically their AHL farm team, and amounted to anything?

Even more concerning when you see guys make the jump, but demoted to the farm team and somehow get worse. As well as guys out of the farm system who are nothing players, who go elsewhere to another development system and start to find footing.

This team can sometimes develop goaltenders. The rest is just...hope they arrive from wherever, ready to make the NHL jump and stick.

You're right in part, that it's "garbage in, garbage out". Limited quantity of prospects even in that phase of the system at times. But there's clearly more to it than that.

I think Vancouver has their own, better version of Lindström in Filip Johansson.

Maybe. Probably. But there's no sure things making the jump, and even then...Canucks could use more than one of that type of player, particularly a RHD.

Makes more sense than Zadina to me. They've got their own better version of that, in Hoglander too.

Reactions: Tempo

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Sillinger is untouchable according to CBJ fans. They seem to think he will be a stud 1c.

He doesn't have the skating for that. Maybe a Monahan if we're lucky. The asking price for him would be pretty high but I don't think he should be untouchable if it's a deal that gets the Jackets a real 1C or a top pair D. The Jackets FO might be unreasonable though, they haven't sent him down despite the obvious need and don't seem to be on planet earth about this kid.

Reactions: squashmaple

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
rutherford's strategy worked with the pens as a good team where he had a really good core who could hold a underperforming players accountable and get the best out of these guys. he also had the benefit of the assets he was trading to get such players being also lifted up by that core and hence more valuable.

boston does something similar. by low, sell high.

canucks are not exactly an enriched developmental environment to try this though. more like the bad school in the bad part of town that parents fight lawsuits to not have to have their kids attend.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

Horvat
Pettersson
Hughes
Boeser

Demko
They didn’t really develop the bolded in the sense that they continued to play in their respective leagues post-draft and then joined the Canucks and basically have been the same players since their rookie years, aside from Horvat (who played 4th line minutes thanks to Willie D). None of them spent any significant time in the AHL nor did they really change their style of play once making it to the NHL.

You can find way more examples of the organization screwing up player development. Remember when we shared our AHL team with another organization during COVID and DiPietro played no games that season because Benning was a pushover and let the other team play their goalie even though it was our AHL team? Disgraceful.

Reactions: Tempo

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
First 5 minutes of it was cap talk, and the upset season ticket holders. He wants changes, but contradicted himself saying it’s a salary cap world. It’s hard to get rid of contracts.

You got Buffalo, Arizona, Anaheim here with millions. If Rutherford wanted to move contracts like he said for better moves. It’s a simple phone call.
Just a simple phone call AND the accepting of having to offer a 1st round pick or a prospect like Hoglander or Podkolzin to move a contract...something they did with Dickinson with the sole purpose of the being able to fit Bear on our team.

I wish we could just call Arizona or Anaheim and ask them to take on Myers...6m cap hit, 5m signing bonus july 1st 2023( What idiot GM signed off on that for a player like Myers!?!?) It is not that simple, we can afford to give up a premium asset to move out a contract that would free up millions regardless of how many years are left on that given contract.

The issue is, Canuck fans are pissed, 10 years of crap managment, but remember 8 years of Benning is hard to get out from in 1 calendar year...but let's keep freaking out on this management team for the lack of moves to clear cap space thanks to the old GM who screwed this team with a knee jerk overpayment acquisition of OEL and Garland!

New regime has talked the talked since arriving, time to make those tough moves and looks like trading your 27yr old Captain who is a pending UFA is the 1st domino that is going to happen before the TDL. Management needs to be active this TDL and upcoming off season, get creative send a guy to a bottom feeder team give up a mid round pick with some retention then get Arizona/Anaheim whoever the team is to retain even more on say a Myers and they get back a better asset like maybe a 2nd round pick.

Why wouldn't a team trade for Myers, get say a 4th from Vancouver with slight retention then go and flip Myers with the max retention allowed to say Toronto, Pit whichever playoff team might have interest in Myers if his cap hit was 3m? To give up a 2nd for a D you could get 2 playoff runs with is a lot better price than some GM's make around the TDL when trying to add depth in the hopes it will lead to some playoff success

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad