Rumor: Canucks are targeting U-24s that has underwhelmed during their ELC. Which players fit this profile?

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
let me introduce to a page with a ton of information on any topic. you can look up anything

Funny, I ask as sometimes someone has already looked at the dozens of pages and has an answer faster.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Not if Chychrun was in the discussion. I think he would surely be included.
I can guarantee he wouldn't. Holland first pick as the Oilers GM and the management loves him. It was reported he is the best D in practises and we just found out he broke 2 ribs in training camp.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Rutherford in his presser yesterday said that they are targeting young players with upside that may have underperformed or underwhelmed during their ELC. He says he prefers this over draft picks whom would carry the same risk of busting.

Please note:

- He also said he wants more draft picks and wants to add to the Canucks prospect pipeline. Most of these u24s are probably additions and not the main piece to a big trade for someone like Horvat.

Which players fit the profile,

Here are some speculated names from insiders and talking heads after the presser:

Lafreniere
Kakko
Rossi
Tomasino
Bernard-Docker
Mcmichael
Newhook
Hayton
Kravstov
Wahlstrom
Broberg
Foudy

Which other players fit this profile that you think would be available to be moved?

Pulujarvi's still 24.

You can remove Broberg from the list. He's getting better every game and is looking good right now. He won't be moved IMO. Vancouver might have called on him, but I can't see Holland entertaining trading him.

Not if Chychrun was in the discussion. I think he would surely be included.
I think if Holland had any desire to move Broberg in a deal for Chycrun, that deal would have been made already.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Any comparison between Vancouver and the Pens is invalidated by the fact that the Pens had a core of Crosby, Malkin, Letting, and Fleury.

The Canucks have Pettersson, Miller, Hughes, and Demko. That's a very different leadership group, and, as much as I think those guys are all good players, they aren't exactly in the Crosby/Malkin tier.

As a lot of users have said, it's a great way to back-fill your bottom-6, but it's a rough way to build a contender.

As for the guys available, the Rangers can't afford to trade Lafreniere, Kakko, or Kravtsov for the simple reason that they have no cap space. If those guys are being moved, then ELCs need to be coming back, otherwise there's no real benefit for the Rangers, and you don't spend the capital of potential of players like Laf and Kakko on a rental. Kravtsov, maybe, but the Rangers are obviously sold on him becoming a player.

Say you trade your top pieces and aim for those guys and walk away with a pick or two and Kravtsov, Joe Veleno, Cody Glass, and Boris Katchouk...yikes... Glass is the only guy there with potential that may be curtailed due to injury.

May as well be aiming for a top-5 pick...

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
We're f***ing doomed.

At the end of the day it will be the organization - specifically the owners - who suffer as the fans continue to check out. The fans can live without the team, but the team can't live without the fans. So yeah, keep doing what you're doing Canucks. By all means. I hardly give a f*** anymore.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
We're f***ing doomed.

At the end of the day it will be the organization - specifically the owners - who suffer as the fans continue to check out. The fans can live without the team, but the team can't live without the fans. So yeah, keep doing what you're doing Canucks. By all means. I hardly give a f*** anymore.
Unfortunately, games are still pretty close to selling out on regular

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
That’s 5 players in 10 years of draft.

We have so many promising youngsters that fizzled out faster than a can of day old soda.

Shinkaruk, Cole Cassels, Virtanen, Gaudette, Brisebois, Juolevi, Kole Lind, DiPietro, Woo, etc.

What do all those names in common except one?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Hmmmn Mackinnon was underperforming coming off his ELC
That being said there is no way that the Avs would have traded him for a signed Horvat right now either.

This is a horrible way for the Canucks to view trades but heck their drafting isn't very good either.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Rutherford in his presser yesterday said that they are targeting young players with upside that may have underperformed or underwhelmed during their ELC. He says he prefers this over draft picks whom would carry the same risk of busting.

Please note:

- He also said he wants more draft picks and wants to add to the Canucks prospect pipeline. Most of these u24s are probably additions and not the main piece to a big trade for someone like Horvat.

Which players fit the profile,

Here are some speculated names from insiders and talking heads after the presser:

Lafreniere
Kakko
Rossi
Tomasino
Bernard-Docker
Mcmichael
Newhook
Hayton
Kravstov
Wahlstrom
Broberg
Foudy

Bernard-Docker? Not sure why he is on this list? I doubt the Sens want to trade him at all and Vancouver doesn't have an important piece the Sens need (Top-4 RD)

He turned 22 y/o on June 30. This is his 2nd pro season as he went the college route. He was excellent defensively in his AHL rookie season last year. He has been injured this season but he was establishing himself nicely before that. Now he's back at it again and had a good game last night

Reactions: Altimus

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I think Gustav Lindstrom is probably the better fit for the Canucks in this case. What's the story with him these days anyway? Seems like he's really fallen out of favor quickly, rather than taking the expected step forward.

I'm not sure another kinda soft skill winger like Zadina is necessarily what they need, especially one who hasn't established himself as much of a scorer. But otherwise, it does sound an awful lot like the sort of player they're targeting, on the surface description. High pedigree misfit toys. Maybe if they're moving at least one of Boeser/Garland out, and presumably Horvat as well.
I thought about Gustav Lindstrom, But it said U24 and Linsdtrom is right at 24. So i thought more closer to Zadina.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Why is everyone so upset? lol

It doesn't really matter if you target draft picks or young players.

The end goal is to get good young players... the means to do it doesn't matter.

I'm sure Buffalo is just kicking themselves for getting Tage Thompson instead of another 2nd round pick in the ROR trade.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
That being said there is no way that the Avs would have traded him for a signed Horvat right now either.

This is a horrible way for the Canucks to view trades but heck their drafting isn't very good either.
I think the quote was that they would combine it with picks. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Trades are historically won by best player but with a hard cap creating cap + a roster player/reclamation + draft picks vs not having a negative asset going forward that's a very good player but getting closer to decline years can easily be a win.

It's not stupid when the player in this case Horvat is asking for money that makes no sense for even the short term let alone long term when it will be a negative.

I'm surprised people are negative on this. All players getting badly overpaid quickly become detriments. To get rid of a negative asset cost assets. It's pretty easy to see why front offices have to draw lines in the sand.

Reactions: wetcoast

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
I'd be all for trading Horvat, would consider Miller if he's into it as signing a player and then trading him before NT kicks in wouldn't look good for future signing players. As for Pettersson he is the franchise for myself not willing to deal him. I'd personally trade Hughes before EP. Your right though we really could blow it all up and start from scratch with a ton of assets if we were to deal everyone.

I’m just going off the rumors we’ve all been reading lately. Not disagreeing with any of your points. They are all valid ones. The post I read I was thinking that there’s basically no hope. That’s what I thought I read.

That’s why I gave that response. 🥂

Reactions: Killer Orcas

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
Just a simple phone call AND the accepting of having to offer a 1st round pick or a prospect like Hoglander or Podkolzin to move a contract...something they did with Dickinson with the sole purpose of the being able to fit Bear on our team.

I wish we could just call Arizona or Anaheim and ask them to take on Myers...6m cap hit, 5m signing bonus july 1st 2023( What idiot GM signed off on that for a player like Myers!?!?) It is not that simple, we can afford to give up a premium asset to move out a contract that would free up millions regardless of how many years are left on that given contract.

The issue is, Canuck fans are pissed, 10 years of crap managment, but remember 8 years of Benning is hard to get out from in 1 calendar year...but let's keep freaking out on this management team for the lack of moves to clear cap space thanks to the old GM who screwed this team with a knee jerk overpayment acquisition of OEL and Garland!

New regime has talked the talked since arriving, time to make those tough moves and looks like trading your 27yr old Captain who is a pending UFA is the 1st domino that is going to happen before the TDL. Management needs to be active this TDL and upcoming off season, get creative send a guy to a bottom feeder team give up a mid round pick with some retention then get Arizona/Anaheim whoever the team is to retain even more on say a Myers and they get back a better asset like maybe a 2nd round pick.

Why wouldn't a team trade for Myers, get say a 4th from Vancouver with slight retention then go and flip Myers with the max retention allowed to say Toronto, Pit whichever playoff team might have interest in Myers if his cap hit was 3m? To give up a 2nd for a D you could get 2 playoff runs with is a lot better price than some GM's make around the TDL when trying to add depth in the hopes it will lead to some playoff success

All fair points. And I can see why the Vancouver fans are upset. Rutherford made it sound plural of contracts he would want to get rid of. Not sure how many. But the fact that there’s teams here with salary cap space if he really wants to do “changes” like he said we will be here waiting.

It’s upto to Vancouver what they want to do. There’s other teams that want to dump cap off also to make moves. The ball is in Vancouvers court. Multiple teams cap spaces may be dry at the deadline.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
I'm not particularly sold on the strategy myself, but I would point out Bill Zito had quite a bit of success in this area before he decided to go all in this past year or so... bringing in names like Duclair, Forsling, Verhaeghe, Bennett, Montour and Marchment at little to no acquisition cost

In fact, I'd argue the primary reason Florida had so much forward depth last year was because of his astute pro scouting on buy low options

Now, did he simply get lucky and catch lightning in a bottle or is it actually a viable strategy? I don't know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad