Rumor: Canucks are targeting U-24s that has underwhelmed during their ELC. Which players fit this profile?

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Bogo event 2 for 1 time

You can have Puljujarvi and Yamamoto for the low cost of Kuzmenko.

If you play hard to get we can add a 3rd rounder

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Cant see Rangers trading Kakko or Laf but both would suit what the Nucks want.

I don’t think Krav would cost a bunch if they want him
Can’t see Lafreniere or Kakko getting dealt. I think they’d only be available for a big overpayment which no one will be offering up right now.

Kravtsov is more realistic, but you’d be selling when his value is at an all time low. I’d rather give him a shot to become something rather than ship him out for pennys. Not to mention they’d need to find a RW to replace him.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
The Vancouver sports media pointed out the connection between Canucks Assistant GM Castonguay and Alexis Lafrenière and I have a feeling that's going to be the player (Horvat for Laf, with not as much added to either side as anyone here would predict)
I’d be shocked if this happened. Rangers can’t afford to resign Horvat, and I can’t see them moving Laf for a rental.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I thought about Gustav Lindstrom, But it said U24 and Linsdtrom is right at 24. So i thought more closer to Zadina.
Fair enough. When i hear U24, i figure quibbling over "less than" or "equal to" probably doesn't register as much. If this is the strategy, i can't see them going, "nope, he's already turned 24, too old". His age and stage of development fits the overall profile of what they seem to be trying to do.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Kotkaniemi? Would not rule out taking that awful contact back for productive but expensive contact going the other way.

Miller, Hoglander for Kotkaniemi, Jarvis?

(I presume Jarvis is not going anywhere)

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Ryan Merkley.

Still has the tools, but it's apparent that the coaching staff is no longer willing to give him a shot.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Adam clendenning
Linden vey
Markus Granlund
Zach dalpe

Wait no....that was before and doing the same thing again for the 8th year in a row will be totally different
But you could also do it the other way (this approach isn’t unique, or new at all).

Off of one of Vancouver’s best teams ever, Markus Naslund, Todd Bertuzzi, Brendan Morrison and Ed Jovanovski were all acquired in the same manner as what Rutherford is stating.

Sure, Benning did it and failed. His problem seemed to be his pro scouting just plain and simple sucked.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Imo, Canucks management shouldnt target those garbage from other club. They just need to fix their young core and build around. I would say Hugues/Pettersson. And the rest are all availlable for assets. Boeser, Miller, Horvat. You trade everything valuable. It gonna be a tough end of year, maybe it gonna end with Bedard? Who knows? And finnally, building around Hugues/Pettersson.

Reactions: Kearns

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Merkley is your man, I actually think he will succeed with a change.

I believe there are a handful of Sharks, or more, that would play better elsewhere. Face it, the Sharks have issues with the coaching and organization that can be detrimental for players. Sharks players are better than credit given to them. Those two items I mentioned previously needs to get fixed.

There are probably more than just Merkley that wants to play for another team that has a shot at contending. I would include Couture, Meier, Hertl, and Karlsson in that list. Probably most of the young guns as well.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Rutherford in his presser yesterday said that they are targeting young players with upside that may have underperformed or underwhelmed during their ELC. He says he prefers this over draft picks whom would carry the same risk of busting.

Please note:

- He also said he wants more draft picks and wants to add to the Canucks prospect pipeline. Most of these u24s are probably additions and not the main piece to a big trade for someone like Horvat.

Which players fit the profile,

Here are some speculated names from insiders and talking heads after the presser:

Lafreniere
Kakko
Rossi
Tomasino
Bernard-Docker
Mcmichael
Newhook
Hayton
Kravstov
Wahlstrom
Broberg
Foudy

Which other players fit this profile that you think would be available to be moved?
So Canucks are looking for more mediocre players to make the team more mediocre as is lol They have been using this garbage startegy for years and have never made the playoffs. The best Canucks players were the ones that were drafted by Canucks so they should take a hint.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Bogo event 2 for 1 time

You can have Puljujarvi and Yamamoto for the low cost of Kuzmenko.

If you play hard to get we can add a 3rd rounder
We will trade you OEL for Poolparty and yams. kuzmenko will be re-signed but you can dream about it since he doesn like Joey's in Edmonton

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Can’t see Lafreniere or Kakko getting dealt. I think they’d only be available for a big overpayment which no one will be offering up right now.

Kravtsov is more realistic, but you’d be selling when his value is at an all time low. I’d rather give him a shot to become something rather than ship him out for pennys. Not to mention they’d need to find a RW to replace him.
If Laf or Kakko don't show up in a couple of years then their value will be even lower and would be viewed as busts for where they were drafted. Right now is borderline but you can get some value in return for them since they still going by the value of where they are drafted. But time will tell if they become another Yakupov or O'Reilly

Kearns

Too good to be true, no?
Jun 7, 2008
Kamloops, BC
Are there examples of teams in the modern era winning a cup with the retool strategy? This is the question I wanted Rutherford to have to answer in his presser. I can't think of any. Am I wrong?

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
When I saw this my first thought was he would probably be fair for Schenn but Vancouver doesn't yet have the flexibility to do it. Maybe after they trade Horvat?
Vancouver would not be interested in Poolparty. Maybe there was a time in the past when they were but not now and probably never with the way he has performed. Canucks need ELCs contracts that perform above their pay grade or the potential for that. They already have too many anchors in Boeser, OEL, Pearson etc. Best to use that cap space on defense

Kotkaniemi? Would not rule out taking that awful contact back for productive but expensive contact going the other way.

Miller, Hoglander for Kotkaniemi, Jarvis?

(I presume Jarvis is not going anywhere)
So you want non productive players that are just slightly cheaper like Louis Eriksson type for Miller? No thanks, you will make our mediocre team even more mediocre if that's possible. Now we would score 1 or 2 goals while giving up 6 instead of losing 5-6.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Vancouver would not be interested in Poolparty. Maybe there was a time in the past when they were but not now and probably never with the way he has performed. Canucks need ELCs contracts that perform above their pay grade or the potential for that. They already have too many anchors in Boeser, OEL, Pearson etc. Best to use that cap space on defense

So you want non productive players that are just slightly cheaper like Louis Eriksson type for Miller? No thanks, you will make our mediocre team even more mediocre if that's possible. Now we would score 1 or 2 goals while giving up 6 instead of losing 5-6.
I feel like you missed the topic. Underperformers are literally what he is looking for.

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
Canuck fans? Any interest in Max Jones from Anaheim?

Our team is bad, but I think a changing of a tire may change the direction of the kid elsewhere. Anaheim can find a depth forward to replace him.

Young kid, has tremendous potential on a better team. Just trying to maximize his career somewhere else. He’s rotting here, and if a better opportunity is available. I would like to see it. Just like Rakell, Manson, Cogliano, etc you get the point. Of the changing and they make a solid career elsewhere.

Thoughts Canucks?

Max Jones is 24 so technically he does meet the requirement regarding 24 and less

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad