Rumor: Canucks are targeting U-24s that has underwhelmed during their ELC. Which players fit this profile?

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Demko for Blackwood , plus one or more of these guys :
Boqvist Zetterlund Foote Bahl Sharangovich Clarke Thompson plus a pick

I dont think Demko is available, if he is, that offer isnt going to be close to the winning bid.

Demko to NJD would be amazing though. High Power offence that plays in front of a goalie that can steal a series in the playoffs.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
I dont think Demko is available, if he is, that offer isnt going to be close to the winning bid.

Demko to NJD would be amazing though. High Power offence that plays in front of a goalie that can steal a series in the playoffs.
Pump the brakes; Demko hasn’t even stolen a game this season and is a large reason for the poor start to the season leading the Canucks to become a bottom feeder (again).

Reactions: zar

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
How is this going to work for them when the majority of their key offensive roles are spoken for by players signed to term?

The reason why prospects frequently struggle is due to a lack of opportunity. Are they going to play these guys in a scoring role over a guy like Garland or Mikheyev?

I don't necessarily disagree with this approach, but there needs to be a plan.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
How is this going to work for them when the majority of their key offensive roles are spoken for by players signed to term?

The reason why prospects frequently struggle is due to a lack of opportunity. Are they going to play these guys in a scoring role over a guy like Garland or Mikheyev?

I don't necessarily disagree with this approach, but there needs to be a plan.

Boeser , Garland are clearly on the trading block.

Horvat might soon be traded

Kuzmenko sounds like is going to get extended

Pearson on LTIR this year and possibly next year.

Podkolzin and Hoglander are marinating in the AHL

Lekkerimakki is raw and probably 3-4 years away

So really in the top 9, id say only Pettersson, Miller, Mikhayev and maybe Kuzmenko are pencilled in.

Lots of spots available

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I can't believe some of the comments here... this is exactly how teams acquire good players. John Marino, albeit not on his ELC, underwhelmed in Pittsburgh last season and is playing well in New Jersey, who also got Jonas Siegenthaler for cheap and he's soaking up tough minutes for that team.

Jalen Chatfield got ruined by the Canucks awful development system and is now flourishing in Carolina...and he pushed out Ethan Bear, who's now forming an excellent pairing with Quinn Hughes.

Yeah, you can point to the thousands of examples where this doesn't work out, but at best it's the same success/failure rate as a draft pick in rounds 2-7. This isn't some dinosaur philosophy.

Reactions: pth2

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
I mean, in theory it's not a terrible idea to look for a player like this, but ideally you want to transplant that type of underperformer into a successful environment with the hope that they will flourish.

For Vancouver, I'm not sure it makes a whole lot of sense, but who knows.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Tampa: Perblix and Foote
Nucks: Schenn and Lazar

LA Kings: Byfield and Clarke
Nucks: Horvat

Carolina: Kotkaniemi (retained salary)
Nucks: Garland and Stillman

Isles: Wahlstrom and Raty
Nucks: Boeser and Hoglander

Trade or Buyout Myers
Nucks sign Tryamkin

Mikheyev-Pettersson- Wahlstrom
Miller-Byfield-Podkolzin
Kuzmenko-Kotkaniemi-Studnicka
Joshua-Raty-Lockwood
Aman

OEL-Clarke
Hughes-Perblix
Tryamkin-Foote
Dermott-Bear
Burrough- Johansson

Flame away!

Last edited:

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
This was seriously the strategy Jim Bob Benning was trying to use for the last 7 years, look how it has turned out.

Not going to be popular with any Canucks fans paying attention....

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Tampa: Perblix and Foote
Nucks: Schenn and Lazar

LA Kings: Byfield and Clarke
Nucks: Horvat

Carolina: Kotkaniemi (retained salary)
Nucks: Garland and Stillman

Isles: Wahlstrom and Raty
Nucks: Boeser and Hoglander

Trade or Buyout Myers
Nucks sign Tryamkin

Mikheyev-Pettersson- Wahlstrom
Miller-Byfield-Podkolzin
Kuzmenko-Kotkaniemi-Studnicka
Joshua-Raty-Lockwood
Aman

OEL-Clarke
Hughes-Perblix
Tryamkin-Foote
Dermott-Burrough
Filip Johansson

Flame away!

No thanks. Foote is available but Perbix is going nowhere.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Sounds like Puljujarvi would fit.

The Blue Jackets have a lot of these guys. In addition to Foudy there is Boqvist, Bean, Sillinger, and Bemstrom, probably a couple others. They're bringing along too many ELCs every year so some will have to go.

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
Is Rutherford related to Benning?? Let's get someone else's failure :huh: Can't any of these guys just hire better scouts or at least keep them (Brackett) and build a blueline that actually defends.

If I had to bet an over or under? Vancouver would be the team that gets the most draft capital this deadline. If all the rumors are true. Horvat, Pettersson, Miller?

Vancouver can easily get Bedard with its own pick, and have 6 draft picks in the first two rounds, this season and future seasons. That where my over bet would be placed.

Vancouver looks absolutely solid if they want to blow it up.

Future looks amazingly bright if Rutherford goes down that rabbit hole

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Sounds like Puljujarvi would fit.

The Blue Jackets have a lot of these guys. In addition to Foudy there is Boqvist, Bean, Sillinger, and Bemstrom, probably a couple others. They're bringing along too many ELCs every year so some will have to go.
Sillinger is untouchable according to CBJ fans. They seem to think he will be a stud 1c.

Thank you.

Horvat can change the cap? Go on......
Rags have plenty of cap next season. After that, not so much....

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Why cant you see NYR trading these guys? Isn't Laffy on the trade block for weeks now?
only if you consider chatter here at HFB to qualify as " on the trade block for weeks now?"

NYR have no urgency to move Laf and believe he will find his game at NHL level
Folks here want to compare him to other 1OA's, thats their option

but no matter what his counting stats, to-date, allow folks to presume,
at worst, he's got better upside than any proposed package I've seen here
mostly what we see are fans hoping to exploit an opportunity to buy low on an at-worst long-term top-6 contributor

Tempo

Jun 13, 2019
I understand the logic behind this, but Canucks are terrible at developing players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad