Rumor: Canucks are targeting U-24s that has underwhelmed during their ELC. Which players fit this profile?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
948.jpg

The plan? Trade for players that suck.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Why cant you see NYR trading these guys? Isnt Laffy on the trade block for weeks now?
Kakko has been showing improvement. I don’t see any reason Rangers trade him now.

As for Laf personally I think they should look into moving him. But have we see any reliable source saying NY are shopping him? I’ve only seen that teams are asking on him.

Plus I’m sure nobody will pay what NY still consider his value as.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Adam clendenning
Linden vey
Markus Granlund
Zach dalpe

Wait no....that was before and doing the same thing again will be totally different

I get the PTSD but i have more faith in this management groups professional scouting than i did with Benning.

These guys have been able to target:

Kuzmenko
Bear
Aman
Joshua
Studnicka
Pederson

All of which have been either Great or average.

really, id say their only whiff in pro scouting was Stillman.

puckinyourteeth

Dec 20, 2022
Aqualung needs to sell the damned team, with a new owner that will keep his mitts off the day to day business. I’m willing to bet he gets way too involved in trades and signings. I’m also willing to bet that JR and JB were both made to sign NDA’s to prevent them from talking shit about FA and the family. I simply refuse to believe that two GMs in a row are screwing the pooch.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Rutherford in his presser yesterday said that they are targeting young players with upside that may have underperformed or underwhelmed during their ELC. He says he prefers this over draft picks whom would carry the same risk of busting.

Please note:

- He also said he wants more draft picks and wants to add to the Canucks prospect pipeline. Most of these u24s are probably additions and not the main piece to a big trade for someone like Horvat.

Which players fit the profile,

Here are some speculated names from insiders and talking heads after the presser:

Lafreniere
Kakko
Rossi
Tomasino
Bernard-Docker
Mcmichael
Newhook
Hayton
Kravstov
Wahlstrom
Broberg
Foudy

Which other players fit this profile that you think would be available to be moved?
pretty much every team looking to steal a player is looking at underperforming players

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Adam clendenning
Linden vey
Markus Granlund
Zach dalpe

Wait no....that was before and doing the same thing again for the 8th year in a row will be totally different

To be fair, those names are quite different than the ones in the OP.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
There’s an inclination towards bigger names, but this could be pretty minor. Vancouver is in a similar position as Carolina 2010. In lieu of another draft pick to go with a 2nd and a cap dump for Joe Corvo, JR took a flyer on a D+4 Oskar Osala. That sort of thing.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
JR is obsessed with reclamation projects, or guys who were drafted high-ish once upon a time but have been struggling.

Schultz, Galchenyuk, Oleskiak, Bjugstad, Johnson, Sheahan. McCann and Kapanen also, though I don’t know if either were “struggling”

Reactions: JlindiesANA

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
U24 so basically prospects and young players, and hopefully picks.

Adam clendenning
Linden vey
Markus Granlund
Zach dalpe

Wait no....that was before and doing the same thing again for the 8th year in a row will be totally different
Totally different. Back then Jim was trading prospects for reclamation projects thinking they’d accelerate their dumb idea of a retool on the fly.

19 year old Gustav Forsling traded for 24 y/o Clendening

21 y/o Hunter Shinkaruk for 24y/o Granlund

A 2nd round pick for 25 y/o Linden Vey

Rutherford basically is saying he wants prospects back and young players with value under 24. Not reclamation projects and other teams cast offs.

I hate Rutherford but people are misinterpreting his words. If he were to say “young prospects/players, he would’ve meant the same thing.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Joulevi for Puljijarvi makes sense for both teams actually, god damnit i was trying to be sarcastic

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
JR is obsessed with reclamation projects, or guys who were drafted high-ish once upon a time but have been struggling.

Schultz, Galchenyuk, Oleskiak, Bjugstad, Johnson, Sheahan. McCann and Kapanen also, though I don’t know if either were “struggling”
Half these guys were already castoffs in their mid 20’s.. They were just depth aqusitions. Can’t exactly call depth fringe guys reclamations Lol

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
To be fair, those names are quite different than the ones in the OP.

Canuck fans have ptsd when it comes to re-tooling because theyve been burned by the likes of

Sven Baertschi
Adam Clendennning
Linden Vey
Brendan Leipsic

etc...

However there are 2 major differences.

Back then, those trades were made outside the core. Benning wanted to keep the core in place so really he didnt have assets to move. Which is why you get those names in return.

However, this retool, Rutherford has made it clear, this team needs "major surgery" He has also said, core players arent all going to be here, meaning they can be available.

Bigger assets such as Horvat, Boeser, Garland,Myers etc are available which means the return should be much better than the players obtained in the previous retool.

The other main difference is pro scouting. Rutherford is much much better at building a roster than Benning was. Just take a look at his 1st year additions. Kuzmenko, Mikhayev, Bear, Lazar, Aman , etc...

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Isn't this what we did last time and literally none of them worked out? (Sbisa, Vey, Goldobin, Bartschi, Granlund, Boucher, Leipsic). Why do we think it will work this time?
Difference is these guys were acquired in exchange for our picks and younger prospects that we had because management was hellbent on the whole “retooling on the fly” bullshit.

Goldobin is the only justified player in that group as he was acquired inexchangw for an aging vet

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Is Rutherford related to Benning?? Let's get someone else's failure :huh: Can't any of these guys just hire better scouts or at least keep them (Brackett) and build a blueline that actually defends.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad