Rumor: Canucks and Bruins Trade Talks

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Virtanen is soo disappointing in a sense that he has all the tools to be dominant.

To me he's just an immature boy still:

1. coming to multiple training camps out of shape
2. partying with the likes of Bieber
3. partying and clubbing during the pandemic and posting it on social media

He is probably the fastest skater on the Canucks and he is a load to handle because he is built like a mack truck.

He has a very good wrist shot

He can really lay the body when he wants to.

The problem is inconsistency and immaturity.

If he puts it all together then it will be a robbery for anyone that takes a gamble and pulls him out of Vancouver.

Getting out of his hometown might be the best thing needed for his career so that he can fully learn how to be on his own and be a professional.

Well said. Everything I'm seeing as well. Such potential if he got away from the Roxy effect. I suggested Lauzon for him as that is a solid NHL ready D that the Bruins could send for Virtanen's rights.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Virtanen is essentially a 20 goal scorer. And I bet a fresh start would do him good. Think there’s still a bit more untapped potential. A good middle 6 winger with size and speed.

debrusk > Virtanen (but not by a large amount). The last 3 seasons their point production is fairly comparable.

I'd honestly say that the gap between Boeser and DeBrusk is the same as DeBrusk to Virtanen. Let's assume Virtanen had the best year compared to his others and Boeser and DeBrusk had their worst.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Lauzon fits perfectly for the Canucks too.

Canucks alreay have Olli Juolevi chomping at the bit for the 3rd left side spot. They also have Rathbone.

Plus Jamie Benn signed for 1 more year.

I think they would almost take a 2nd round pick or if someone offers a late 1st for Virtanen over a prospect like Lauzon

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I was thinking Zboril but I know 0 things about your prospects.

Going into this season without Krug and Chara this is what the lineup looks like:

XXX - McAvoy (I'd love to see the Bruins make a move for one of Bean, Fleury or Skjei from Carolina here)
Grzelcyk - Carlo
Zboril/Vaakanianen - Lauzon/Clifton
Moore

As far as prospects, the Canucks are flush on the wings so I'd imagine the Canucks would want to get a C or D. Believe it or not, the guy that has progressed the most and is looking like a steal is Oskar Steen, WJC Sweden teammate of Pettersson in Buffalo in 2018. I'd imagine Benning asking for Steen and a draft pick like a 2nd could be the real talk.

Last edited:

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Or it could be something as simple as Bjork for Virtanen; Bruins gamble on the upside and Canucks lock in a top 9 RW/LW who is on a good deal.

To Vancouver:

RW/LW Anders Bjork (3 More Years @ 1.6 million / year)

To Boston:

RW Jake Virtanen (RFA)

Both from the same draft, same age and over 100 NHL games each. Bjork has 0.314 points / game and speed/intelligence but not Virtanen's raw skill. Virtanen has 0.340 points / game (almost identical) and has raw skill and speed but the hockey IQ hasn't developed yet. As far as off-ice image and reputation they couldn't be further apart.

I'm really on the fence on this and would rather keep Bjork because he seems close to putting it all together. Went searching for off-ice videos to prove a point and there are just so many reasons why I think the Bruins need to hold onto him.

Reactions: bme44

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
That’s interesting. The Bruins definitely need young centres to take over the minutes from aging Bergeron and Krejci.
Gaudette for Carlo is a good proposal.

I love Guadette. Got to watch him win the Beanpot with a hat trick at ice level. He has no where close to that kind of value. The “not good enough offensively to be a #2C and not great defensively” label rarely turns in the players favor in their career. I’m curious about him as a 3RW, but would rather focus on Jake. Neither at the cost of Carlo and not super close to think about Carlo.

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Or it could be something as simple as Bjork for Virtanen; Bruins gamble on the upside and Canucks lock in a top 9 RW/LW who is on a good deal.

To Vancouver:

RW/LW Anders Bjork (3 More Years @ 1.6 million / year)

To Boston:

RW Jake Virtanen (RFA)

Both from the same draft, same age and over 100 NHL games each. Bjork has 0.314 points / game and speed/intelligence but not Virtanen's raw skill. Virtanen has 0.340 points / game (almost identical) and has raw skill and speed but the hockey IQ hasn't developed yet. As far as off-ice image and reputation they couldn't be further apart.

I'm really on the fence on this and would rather keep Bjork because he seems close to putting it all together. Went searching for off-ice videos to prove a point and there are just so many reasons why I think the Bruins need to hold onto him.

If I was the Canucks I would want an additional prospect/pick piece, but the cost certainty would be appealing.

Reactions: Coach Parker

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
A few thoughts of mine.

Virtanen for a right D would be what we'd want, barring a large cap dump being taken by the Bruins.

Boeser isn't available. Even for Carlo. Virtanen, Gaudette or Demko can be arranged, but Boeser is insanely valuable to us.

DeBrusk is the better player compared to Virtanen.

A player like Bjork or Frederic would be a fine acquisition, but not for any of the players being asked for as returns.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
If it’s a deal it will be Boeser for Carlo as main pieces. Debrusk is not included. I could see Virtanen and pick your Ritchie plus a 3rd coming over from Boston

Canucks would be set for a decade with top pair of Carlo and Hughes.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Virtanen is soo disappointing in a sense that he has all the tools to be dominant.

To me he's just an immature boy still:

1. coming to multiple training camps out of shape
2. partying with the likes of Bieber
3. partying and clubbing during the pandemic and posting it on social media

He is probably the fastest skater on the Canucks and he is a load to handle because he is built like a mack truck.

He has a very good wrist shot

He can really lay the body when he wants to.

The problem is inconsistency and immaturity.

If he puts it all together then it will be a robbery for anyone that takes a gamble and pulls him out of Vancouver.

Getting out of his hometown might be the best thing needed for his career so that he can fully learn how to be on his own and be a professional.

My nephew played with Virtanen and off the ice apparently he is the worst person possible..whatever that means.

I could see a Nick Ritchie for Jake Virtanen 1 for 1

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Going into this season without Krug and Chara this is what the lineup looks like:

XXX - McAvoy (I'd love to see the Bruins make a move for one of Bean, Fleury or Skjei from Carolina here)
Grzelcyk - Carlo
Zboril/Vaakanianen - Lauzon/Clifton
Moore

As far as prospects, the Canucks are flush on the wings so I'd imagine the Canucks would want to get a C or D. Believe it or not, the guy that has progressed the most and is looking like a steal is Oskar Steen, WJC Sweden teammate of Pettersson in Buffalo in 2018. I'd imagine Benning asking for Steen and a draft pick like a 2nd could be the real talk.

Would Boston move it's 2nd rounder In a deal like this when they already don't have a 1st?

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
It’s Carlo.

been noted numerous times That Benning liked him in the 2015 draft. He had some quotes on him.

why would Vancouver target any left hand shooters on D even if they play the right side. Green has said he likes handedness on their strong side. No shot they target a lefty, makes no sense. Especially with their prospects.

Reactions: Canuck86

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
Canucks drafted Boeser 23rd overall in 2015, where Carlo wouldn’t have been a reach. He was later taken in the second round.

If we wanted him, we’d’ve taken him then, and there’s no way we’re doing a deal for him if we give up Brock. The logistics around it just don’t make sense, and value wise it’s not close. Besides, we want to compete. We’re rumoured to be close to a Tofu deal, so we’ll finally have a pair of top 6 RWers. We’re not taking from a barely full pocket to fill another. If anything, it’ll be for a reclamation project in JV for a guy like Lauzon and a third.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
My nephew played with Virtanen and off the ice apparently he is the worst person possible..whatever that means.

I could see a Nick Ritchie for Jake Virtanen 1 for 1

Virtanen is a way better skater and the better scorer also. I would hold pat on that deal. Speed is king in the NHL now.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Virtanen is kind of meh, he is like Bjork on the Bruins, they have potential, but can't seem to get there, maybe they deal these guys 1 for 1 in a change of scenery move. There is no way Virtanen alone gets you Carlo. As for Boeser he broke into the league on fire with that shot, but has injuries already and for shooters a wrist injury is troublesome, I would be cautious about trading for a player like that who will need to be qualified at around $7.5 M.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Would Boston move it's 2nd rounder In a deal like this when they already don't have a 1st?

If this is indeed an 'all-in' year with Krejci and Rask's contracts expiring, I'd say yeah. I have a feeling that in the off-season before the 2021 draft this team will do another 2015 with players and rebuild to re-acquire picks.

Reactions: TheNewKid

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Canucks drafted Boeser 23rd overall in 2015, where Carlo wouldn’t have been a reach. He was later taken in the second round.

If we wanted him, we’d’ve taken him then, and there’s no way we’re doing a deal for him if we give up Brock. The logistics around it just don’t make sense, and value wise it’s not close. Besides, we want to compete. We’re rumoured to be close to a Tofu deal, so we’ll finally have a pair of top 6 RWers. We’re not taking from a barely full pocket to fill another. If anything, it’ll be for a reclamation project in JV for a guy like Lauzon and a third.

I don’t like your logic on Carlo and Boeser. I bet the Bruins would prefer Barzal instead of Senyshyn today even tho on draft day they didn’t. 2015 draft day is a snapshot of 17 year olds from 5 years ago. Has minimal meaning today.

That being said, I agree with your thoughts that the most likely move here is JV for prospects/cost controlled guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad