Rumor: Canucks and Bruins Trade Talks

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
yes.

debrusk is a supporting piece the bruins have pumped the tires on by playing him with very good players. the very fact he is reportedly available should tell you something. he brings energy first and skill second to the table.

virtanen made all his own offence with hardly a lick of power play time. he almost never plays with or benefits from our playmakers. we've never seen him bring energy to the table.

he's a much more talented player than debrusk.

even if virtanen has only a 33% chance of finally filling out as a hockey player, you keep him. debrusk is a middle six player now and in my estimation is going to drop a tier and flirt with replacement status.

so i'd sooner keep virtanen despite the risks. the only way i'd move him is for a tangible upgrade to our lineup. so perhaps as a trade for a good defenceman. in that context i'd move him as part of a trade even if i was objectively recovering less value than debrusk and a 2nd.

If you wouldn’t trade Virtanen for DeBrusk and a 2nd you’re out to lunch.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
If you wouldn’t trade Virtanen for DeBrusk and a 2nd you’re out to lunch.

maybe pay attention then. i said i would trade virtanen for less objective value than that if it made the team better. for example, as part of a swap for a good dman.

my issue is that debrusk is not a piece i want on the team over virtanen.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Debrusk is a better player than Virtanen so yes it would make the team better.

you don't just make trades in a vacuum.

debrusk is a more complete player than virtanen right now but has limited upside. i don't particularly want him, and prefer to take a hail mary chance that virtanen finally gets it together or else trade virtanen for an asset that i think improves the team more than debrusk would.

that doesn't make me "out to lunch" . it just means debrusk is not an asset i would seek to place on the roster over virtanen.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
yes.

debrusk is a supporting piece the bruins have pumped the tires on by playing him with very good players. the very fact he is reportedly available should tell you something. he brings energy first and skill second to the table.

virtanen made all his own offence with hardly a lick of power play time. he almost never plays with or benefits from our playmakers. we've never seen him bring energy to the table.

even if virtanen has only a 33% chance of finally filling out as a hockey player, you keep him. debrusk is a middle six player now and in my estimation is going to drop a tier and flirt with replacement status.

so i'd sooner keep virtanen despite the risks. the only way i'd move him is for a tangible upgrade to our lineup. so perhaps as a trade for a good defenceman. in that context i'd move him as part of a trade even if i was objectively recovering less value than debrusk and a 2nd.

This is completely absurd. I am not sure you've ever watched even a single goal scored by Debrusk, or even a shift for that matter.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

debrusk is a more complete player than virtanen right now but has limited upside. i don't particularly want him, and prefer to take a hail mary chance that virtanen finally gets it together or else trade virtanen for an asset that i think improves the team more than debrusk would.

that doesn't make me "out to lunch" . it just means debrusk is not an asset i would seek to place on the roster over virtanen.

Krutov...man. I'm a Canucks fan too but let's get real.

Debrusk is better and younger than Virtanen. Last year he scored 27 goals in 68 games. This screams way more "upside" to me than Virtanen and he's the better player to begin with.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
This is completely absurd. I am not sure you've ever watched even a single goal scored by Debrusk, or even a shift for that matter.

i guess for that post not to be deeply ironic, you must be a noted expert on virtanen to be talking smack like that, not some guy who only knows his own player. how many late nights have you stayed up to watch our home games?

also, why would boston trade debrusk? if he is what you seem to think he is, he is the kind of guy you re-sign as a no-brainer as a young rfa for the money he will get. he's absolutely a guy who plays the boston way. why are we discussing trading him for a troubled asset like virtanen who has unrealistic rfa salary expectations?

i think debrusk is a maxed out middle sixer with no upside that boston wants to unload for a more talented player while he can be dressed up as more than that.

another ryan donato or ryan spooner or danton heinen. you guys have a good organization and have a good thing going.

not interested.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Virtanen comes with a huge red flag since his work ethics outside of the rink is very questionable.

Reactions: bbfan419

Root

Feb 22, 2010

DeBrusk has played three seasons in the NHL, 62 goals in 203 games. That's a 25 goal pace over 82 games. DeBrusk has another level to go to as well, he is a far more complete player than he has shown in the last season and a half.

Canucks fans are high on Virtanen because he had 36 points in 69 games this season (43 Point Pace over 82 games). That's fine, but it was his first season doing so and Canucks fans seem to be confident this is who he will be consistently. You know who else scored at a similar pace only a season ago (2018-2019)? Nick Ritchie. 42 point pace over 82 games. Ask Boston fans how they feel about him right now. Don't get me wrong, I like Virtanen as a player more than Ritchie because he's a far better skater. But Virtanen still has a number of question marks and isn't on the same level as DeBrusk in terms of value. You can cherry-pick one year of stats to try and prove a point, but when you dig deeper it's clear who the better player is.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Krutov...man. I'm a Canucks fan too but let's get real.

Debrusk is better and younger than Virtanen. Last year he scored 27 goals in 68 games. This screams way more "upside" to me than Virtanen and he's the better player to begin with.

it screams better team mates and a strong culture. this is how boston works. pump up these middling guys and move them out for better players who have not found their feet.

ryan donato - charlie coyle
danton heinen - nick ritchie
jake debrusk - jake virtanen

notice a pattern? gotta give boston credit.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Maybe something like Sutter (retained) + Virtanen for Carlo? Canucks could throw in another prospect like Hoglander/Rathbone.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
DeBrusk has played three seasons in the NHL, 62 goals in 203 games. That's a 25 goal pace over 82 games. DeBrusk has another level to go to as well, he is a far more complete player than he has shown in the last season and a half.

ryan spooner had 49 points as bruin. his last year as a bruin he was tracking over 50 points when he was traded.

after three other teams tried to make him work, two of them ended up demoting him to the ahl, then he got bought out and now he's not in the nhl anymore.

i give boston full credit for getting so much out of these guys. i am just not interested in them.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
it screams better team mates and a strong culture. this is how boston works. pump up these middling guys and move them out for better players who have not found their feet.

ryan donato - charlie coyle
danton heinen - nick ritchie
jake debrusk - jake virtanen

notice a pattern? gotta give boston credit.

Reilly smith - Jimmy hayes
Tyler Seguin - Loui Eriksson
frank vatrano - 3rd round pick

notice a pattern? bruins are idiots.

Last edited:

Root

Feb 22, 2010
ryan spooner had 49 points as bruin. his last year as a bruin he was tracking over 50 points when he was traded.

after three other teams tried to make him work, two of them ended up demoting him to the ahl, then he got bought out and now he's not in the nhl anymore.

i give boston full credit for getting so much out of these guys. i am just not interested in them.

I think you are starting to make the point that unless Virtanen is traded to Boston, who are, according to you of course, the only team that is capable of turning him into a consistent functioning NHL player. I agree they have a far better chance of making that happen than the canucks do.

I understand he's a local kid for canucks fans, and that is most likely clouding your judgement. thinking he is anywhere near DeBrusk is very misinformed.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Virtanen comes with a huge red flag since his work ethics outside of the rink is very questionable.

That's just it tho, he is still immature and unprofessional YET he has gotten better every year and had 18 goals in 69 games this year. This is is his baseline, he will have a higher trajectory moving forward when he does mature and figure things out. Unfortunately many people believe he needs to get out of his hometown and really be on his own for that to happen.

Maybe Brendan Leipsic was speaking the truth when he called Jake's off ice crew " worst crew ever"

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I think you are starting to make the point that unless Virtanen is traded to Boston, who are, according to you of course, the only team that is capable of turning him into a consistent functioning NHL player. I agree they have a far better chance of making that happen than the canucks do.

I understand he's a local kid for canucks fans, and that is most likely clouding your judgement. thinking he is anywhere near DeBrusk is very misinformed.

i'm no fan of virtanen or enamoured of the idea of him being a local kid but i see the knucklehead has talent and is a dick, and i've seen guys like him get it eventually. if i have a bias it's because i've been speculating for a while that this kind of trade would be coming this offseason from a team like boston.

i have previously mentioned the penguins, knights and blues as other teams who would target virtanen as a guy they could fix using their internal culture and system and would offer their own overperformers back. i think the knights are a better fit than boston to get it done fwiw because i think they play a simpler system that jake fits and can grasp and he can also move up and down their lineup according to his moods. however i don't think we trade him inside the division.

anyway, we'll see what happens.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
yes.

Understood. Completely disagree for obvious reasons including stats, performance, on-ice production, off-ice issues but I think we both agree on the better return being a young NHL ready cost-controlled D with upside and a 2nd for Virtanen.

No one on either side has any interest in swapping Jake's.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
If the Canucks do move on from Virtanen it woul be understandable but he would be missed.

I remember an interview that Mcdavid did and someone asked him what was his welcome to the NHL moment. Mcdavid responded that it was when a mack truck Virtanen hit him. Mcdavid mentioned that that the hit was still the hardest hit he has taken.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad