Rumor: Canucks and Bruins Trade Talks

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
This is such nonsense. You act like Debrusk is a lock for 25-30 goals and Virtanen is lucky to get 20. Debrusk has gotten over 20 goals in a season once. He had one more goal than Virtanen this past year. Not to mention Debrusk got consistent top 6 time and Virtanen played with Gaudette or Sutter as his center. They're extremely close in value.

Then so are DeBrusk and Boeser. I guess that means that Virtanen and Boeser are similar in value by your logic?

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I see. The guy with 62 goals and 120 points in 203 games is basically the same as the one with 50 and 90 in 279. That’s not a ridiculous statement at all.

I guess I would then venture that the guy with 50 goals in 203 games is basically the same as the one with 75 in 197 named Brock.
Virtanen is essentially a 20 goal scorer. And I bet a fresh start would do him good. Think there’s still a bit more untapped potential. A good middle 6 winger with size and speed.

debrusk > Virtanen (but not by a large amount). The last 3 seasons their point production is fairly comparable.

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Rask + DeBrusk for Boeser + Eriksson

This is awful. Rask is getting older but he's still an elite goaltender. He was a Conn Smythe shoe into going into G7 last year and runner up for the Vezina this year. Boeser is better than DeBrusk but the gulf between Eriksson and Rask is massive.

Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Benning pocket dialled Sweeney. Sweeney missed the call

Sweeney called Benning back but got VM. Left a message saying returning call.

Benning calls Sweeney back but gets a text saying he’s on a call and will call him back later.

Sweeney calls Benning back. Benning answers and apologizes for pocket dialling. Wasn’t trying to call him.

#tradetalks

Last edited:

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I think Boston is interested more in someone like Adam Gaudette than Virtanen especially if they are looking for more scoring.

hometown boy, beanpot legend, Right shot Centre/Wing with goal scoring ability.

Gaudette is pure Boston too, he has a huge sleeve Tatty of Boston landmarks on his arm.

This guy is more Boston than the next Ben Afleck movie.

Gaudfather loves playing in that building !!

I like Gaudette a lot actually. However, I'm not sure there's room for him unless it's to play on the wing, which honestly I prefer him to be as a player. In Boston, Coyle and Kuraly are the mainstays for the two bottom six center positions. I guess Kuraly could switch to LW and Guadette center, but Kuraly is more effective at center and he's a much better faceoff guy than Gaudette.

The big catch in my eyes is Boeser but I can't see any way for Boston to make that work without giving up things they most likely don't want to give up. IF the plan is to trade Carlo and still compete with the core they have, they would to sign Pietrangelo first, which I'm not confident in seeing them make a 8-9 million dollar splash signing after the state of the monetary world this year. If they don't sign him, then they just created a giant sized crater hole on the right side of that 2nd pairing. There's a reason why good right shot RD's have a lot of value in the league.

Anders Bjork is on a pretty cheap, show me what you got contract for the next three seasons. 24 years old, skates hard, has puck hound mentality, good shot, lots of untapped potential. His contract and ability would be attractive to Vancouver and while a Bjork for Gaudette trade is fairly even, it doesn't help Vancouver's cap problems.

I like the sound of a Virtanen/Gaudette for Bjork/Grz swap on value alone, but I don't think Vancouver is looking for left side D.

I think there's some basis for the two clubs to help each other out, but I think there's a lot of sliding scales here.

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
It's extreme I know. But everything is possible. Krug is most likely gone and core is not getting any younger (+ losing Rask will be really really bad).
Normally I’d agree with you but they couldn’t have picked a better offseason to go goalie shopping if they chose to do so.

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
Rask + DeBrusk for Boeser + Eriksson
This is one of the most insane proposals I've ever seen.

Boeser isn't worth rask and debrusk and the negative value of Loui. Bruins aren't bringing Loui back now that he's worse and more expensive than he was when he disappointed here.

Does Vancouver really need an upgrade at goalie? I don't get it on any level

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Kase = Virtanen. Boeser owed 7m qualifying offer soon. I don’t think Bruins have interest in anything Vancouver has to offer. I call BS on these “rumors”

Vancouver has solid young pieces. Keep building. Benning would love to dump some cap I’m sure but unfortunately covid happened. Ride it out Jim

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I would expect that too. The B’s might see Virtanen as a great fit in their rink and system. He’s big, fast, hits like a truck, and has a great shot. He’s just (imo - hockey wise) dumb as a stump.

Sounds like some of the guys the Bruins have put with Marchand and Bergeron to develop and teach about a complete game.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
I would also be curious about this if anyone can step away from clutching their pearls over dumb proposals.
tools, inconsistent toolbox so far, but by all accounts took big steps this year in that regard. maybe LD version of Virtanen based on draft expectations. expected to fight for roster spot this year with Lauzon, Vaak who are all in the NHL ready/near ready boat. I think one of these guys for Virtanen and whatever adds needed to balance the value is most likely fit if Benning wants to deal him.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
I'd say Boeser + Demko and the Canucks get Halak as well on the cheap to back-up Markstrom.
who plays RD for the Bruins if Carlo is moved and are you making Boeser the highest paid player on the team when his contract is up? I dont see any Boeser trade for the Bruins for what we would give up

Reactions: Coach Parker

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Sounds like some of the guys the Bruins have put with Marchand and Bergeron to develop and teach about a complete game.

Virtanen is soo disappointing in a sense that he has all the tools to be dominant.

To me he's just an immature boy still:

1. coming to multiple training camps out of shape
2. partying with the likes of Bieber
3. partying and clubbing during the pandemic and posting it on social media

He is probably the fastest skater on the Canucks and he is a load to handle because he is built like a mack truck.

He has a very good wrist shot

He can really lay the body when he wants to.

The problem is inconsistency and immaturity.

If he puts it all together then it will be a robbery for anyone that takes a gamble and pulls him out of Vancouver.

Getting out of his hometown might be the best thing needed for his career so that he can fully learn how to be on his own and be a professional.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
That's understandable. And if you were the Canucks, would you say yes?

Good question. Right now, I feel I wouldnt but if what's his pickle leaves I'd be hard pressed to say no.

Not sure tbh. I'd have to think really hard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad