Post-Game Talk: Canucks 3 Panthers 2. EP down. Life not worth living.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Doesn’t matter if Travis green calls the shots, players don’t have to listen . Ask jack eichel LOL. We want leaders not followers , do you think when we had our core in 2011 that our players would give a **** what av said ? The boys defending each other and got in **** for it and everyone loves them for it

Of course what Travis Green says matters. Guys want to keep their ice time a lot more than they want to retaliate. It took years for the boys in 2011 to come together. It didn't happen overnight. Of course everyone wants the boys to show the same bond they had in 2011 but it's not a realistic ask. EP is a rookie. A veteran team would've absolutely responded. This is not a veteran team. The locker room dynamics are in flux right now, pecking orders are being established, there's no captain, guys are just getting to know each other.

Reactions: Grub

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
I wonder if Aquilini would be happy with his decision to not do anything considering the PR storm this is turning into. Lets not forget Aqulini is also a fan.

Well it’s not like any of us expected green to last this long anyways

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Of course what Travis Green says matters. Guys want to keep their ice time a lot more than they want to retaliate. It took years for the boys in 2011 to come together. It didn't happen overnight. Of course everyone wants the boys to show the same bond they had in 2011 but it's not a realistic ask. EP is a rookie. A veteran team would've absolutely responded. This is not a veteran team. The locker room dynamics are in flux right now, pecking orders are being established, there's no captain, guys are just getting to know each other.

Agreed with this. Can't really compare to the 2011 team. That team was close as it could get... most of them came up through the pipeline together.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
"its all about the two points."

To be fair, it is. As fans we care more about EP than the two points but as a coach you can't let any one individual become more important than winning. It's not just about the 2 points tonight it's about creating a mindset where you never take a game or a shift off or let winning slip out of focus.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
You’d expect more out of our future leaders. They’re going to be with the team for a long long time . We tried signing guys on one year contracts to retaliate and they didn’t work either . It’s the guys like burrows and Kessler when they were here that stuck up for our boys , even Hansen at times in his last year here. You want core guys like that , not this . He scored that goal and Matheson was right there. Go ****ing get him , this is why he isn’t named captain .

It's true. None of the young guys seem to be cut from that cloth. Maybe Gaudette. We'll see. The team is definitely missing something more than skill, though, that's for sure. I thought Virtanen was supposed to be that guy, but I guess not. Again, I'm not all about fighting. I hate that part of the sport, to be honest. But show you care somehow. They just don't.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
If Docs say 3 weeks, keep him out for at least double that, no need to rush him back, this team isn’t doing anything this year anyways. The lack of emotion from the Canucks is sickening, the kid carried the team on his shoulders for the first 5 games. Great culture Benning.

Reactions: Dr Good Vibes

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I posted my feelings on the EP hit from behind thread on the NHL forum, but I am still very bitter and disappointed in this team after the Matheson can opener. This team is a embarrassment to let the most talented Canucks rookie since Bure to get bullied like that. I really hope EP is ok, this team is a disappointment.

Nov 1, 2011
To be fair, it is. As fans we care more about EP than the two points but as a coach you can't let any one individual become more important than winning. It's not just about the 2 points tonight it's about creating a mindset where you never take a game or a shift off or let winning slip out of focus.

The reality is, if you let your star players get tossed around like that, you might win the battle but you'll lose the war.

It's exactly what happened in 2011 to us. We were by far the best team but attrition eventually wore us down and because of the idiotic way hockey is played and how the rules are enforced in North America, you will always need to be able to respond physically.

Reactions: sting101

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
It's true. None of the young guys seem to be cut from that cloth. Maybe Gaudette. We'll see. The team is definitely missing something more than skill, though, that's for sure. I thought Virtanen was supposed to be that guy, but I guess not. Again, I'm not all about fighting. I hate that part of the sport, to be honest. But show you care somehow. They just don't.

Agreed as well. We loved that 2011 team... loved it. The city loved it. You know the boys had each others back and you know that they would compete every night. Remember the brawls? The Drama? Ah, now that was a hockey team I could get behind. This team is lacking something.. a spine.... and it clearly showed tonight. Guys like Burrows, Kesler and Bieksa would be chirping the other bench and try to start something.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Green won’t be here long and most of the players won’t but this is a team sport and you stand up for your team-mates....especially if you’re a veteran...which your Demi-god Benning has filled this team with..open your f***ing eyes and see what a mess Benning has created.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
yeah, no, it doesn't serve as a deterrent. You're definitely correct to write that this false belief is not new to hockey, but in 2018 it seems to have less credibility than ever before.

I would have been just fine seeing Matheson get beaten up. I would have enjoyed it. But to pretend the desire for pushback is anything but bloodlust is just silly imo.

I see, so you're the genius and basically all nhl players and those involved in the game who endorse the code are idiots. :huh:

Do you really think that if an nhl team stopped all after-the-whistle responses to the opposition (all trash-talking, all face washes, pushing after the whistle and fighting amongst other things), and played their game between the whistles robotically, without responding in kind to players who cross the line in some way, that the star players of that particular team would not become a target of excessive physical play and be walked all over by opposition teams? Do you not think that that team would lose a psychological edge, even if their supposed skill as a team in-game was not affected?

I really find your opinion that players are some kind of robots whose play is not affected by their knowledge of the consequences that follow from how they play to be a little bit strange. NHL players are humans just like you and me.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
You don't need to have our guy going after their guy. What you do need is push-back to show that the team is playing for one-another. Remember 2013-14 young Colorado team, after one of the Colorado players got injured Patrick Roy went berserk on the bench vs Anaheim.

Any guy on the team can push back, it doesn't need to be a dirty hit, in fact it shouldn't be a dirty hit back. But it can be a fight or whatever, but the best is to rally the team to play for each other. After Patrick Roy did what he did, it sent a message to the players, that they are playing for each other. The Colorado Avalanche won the presidents trophy that year. The message we sent to the team is that they don't play for each other and don't rally behind each other. Which is a terrible message to send.

I'm not asking for someone to hurt the other players team, far from it. Anyone of our guys could have stood up tonight, could have been Baertschi or Gudbranson, doesn't matter. What does matter is team moral, and we don't want to end up like the Oilers where nobody is playing for each other and we don't actually develop any sort of team chemistry. Remember the McDavid injury? No push back, nobody is playing for each other.

Look at the Vegas Knights, a big reason I think a lot of their guys played well is because they were playing for each other. I think that a lucky season, like the Colorado Avalanche and the Vegas Knights had can be generated through getting the team to buy into themselves, I truly believe that. I do not think it is sustainable over multiple seasons. However, it can be used to start a team CULTURE. Which I think is absolutely critical to the team going forward, especially a young team.

This might seem hypocritical to what I said in that Calgary game, it might go against what I said. But seeing the only bright spot of the canucks go down and have 0 response. That's tough...

Last edited:

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
So just got in and heard EP was taken out on a dirty hit? Wow - Gudbranson must have taken that other player out of the game after right? I can't fathom why EP would get hit like that if EG was in the game? Anyways I can't find the video of what Gubranson did to him, can anyone describe it to me?

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Disappointed in our team tonight. What the hell did we sign these 3 guys for? Perhaps the incident happened behind the play and they didn't know what happened immediately, but the Canucks should have stepped up their game after that incident. They should have played a physical tough game like it was a playoff game after EP went down. The Florida players should have been nervous every time they touched the puck.

Instead the Canucks acted like p***yes.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Disappointed in our team tonight. What the hell did we sign these 3 guys for? Perhaps the incident happened behind the play and they didn't know what happened immediately, but the Canucks should have stepped up their game after that incident. They should have played a physical tough game like it was a playoff game after EP went down. The Florida players should have been nervous every time they touched the puck.

Instead the Canucks acted like *****es.
Gubranson must have? Isn't he pretty much the toughest guy in the NHL and the most aggressive and scary? Surely he punished whoever hit EP?

Reactions: pgj98m3 and timw33

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC

Instead the Canucks acted like *****es.
You're a pretty level headed poster here. It says something when even you share this sentiment.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
The reality is, if you let your star players get tossed around like that, you might win the battle but you'll lose the war.

It's exactly what happened in 2011 to us. We were by far the best team but attrition eventually wore us down and because of the idiotic way hockey is played and how the rules are enforced in North America, you will always need to be able to respond physically.

Tossed around like what, a 170 pound kid? That's what he is. The hit and the extra stuff is a routine amount contact in the NHL. It's a 2 minute roughing minor if anything. Elias has to show he can battle through that. Let's not coddle him too much, he has to be a man on the ice. Protect him? Sure. What should have happened is Eriksson and Goldobin should've went over to Matheson immediately and gotten in his face. They didn't have to fight but a facewash would've sufficed. That would've been the end of it. Eriksson and Goldobin are in my doghouse for not reacting but honestly, it was a fast play and I'm not sure they even saw it. Depending on the angle it would be hard to see the extra push. We are lucky as fans to have the best angle to see exactly what happened. We are disproportionately reacting to a play that wasn't that bad because it happened to EP. Ask yourself what your reaction would be if it happened to Granlund. EP will be fine and everything will go back to normal, but sooner or later there will be a legitimately dirty play on him that everyone notices and will unmistakably call for immediate retribution. That will be real test for how much of a team this team is, not tonight.

Reactions: Nomobo

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Gubranson must have? Isn't he pretty much the toughest guy in the NHL and the most aggressive and scary? Surely he punished whoever hit EP?

Gudbranson is one of the team's precogs, he actually prevented any incident from happening.

But seriously, the *biggest* legitimate reason to be angry is because when Benning signed and acquired these tougher guys he specifically called out creating a "safe work environment" in addition to taking the tough assignments.

Where the hell was that tonight?

Why sign these guys if they can't do the job you've set our
expectations that they're going to do?

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
Remember the McDavid injury? No push back, nobody is playing for each other.
Great post. This is really my major concern as well. Our leading scorer and the future of our franchise got injured tonight. The response was to play no body contact defensive hockey. That'll show 'em. I'm so disappointed. It's been hours and I'm still just feeling...I dunno, disenfranchised? I was excited so far this season, mostly because of Pettersson. Now I feel like I'm having deja vu. Hockey is a physical game, and physical battles decide the outcomes of playoff series and more. Bottom dweller teams don't respond when their best guys get targeted, but the best teams do. There's a few exceptions both ways, obviously, but I hated watching Pettersson go down and I'm just left feeling that this team's not much of a team at all.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Tossed around like what, a 170 pound kid? That's what he is. The hit and the extra stuff is a routine amount contact in the NHL. It's a 2 minute roughing minor if anything. Elias has to show he can battle through that. Let's not coddle him too much, he has to be a man on the ice. Protect him? Sure. What should have happened is Eriksson and Goldobin should've went over to Matheson immediately and gotten in his face. They didn't have to fight but a facewash would've sufficed. That would've been the end of it. Eriksson and Goldobin are in my doghouse for not reacting but honestly, it was a fast play and I'm not sure they even saw it. Depending on the angle it would be hard to see the extra push. We are lucky as fans to have the best angle to see exactly what happened. We are disproportionately reacting to a play that wasn't that bad because it happened to EP. Ask yourself what your reaction would be if it happened to Granlund. EP will be fine and everything will go back to normal, but sooner or later there will be a legitimately dirty play on him that everyone notices and will unmistakably call for immediate retribution. That will be real test for how much of a team this team is, not tonight.
You have no way of knowing EP will be fine. The test was tonight and the team failed.
Your mealy-mouthed support puts you in the same category of failure.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Gudbranson is one of the team's precogs, he actually prevented any incident from happening.

But seriously, the *biggest* legitimate reason to be angry is because when Benning signed and acquired these tougher guys he specifically called out creating a "safe work environment" in addition to taking the tough assignments.

Where the hell was that tonight?

Why sign these guys if they can't do the job you've set our
expectations that they're going to do?
It's actually infuriating. Not that someone took a shot at him - but 5 games in and absolutely no push back from any of these tough guys that were hired to do exactly what you said. Billed as part of their main job pretty much. To read the Gubranson quote from last year "if i'd be in things would have been different" - it's just absolutely pathetic that he talks this way and does nothing in reality.

Reactions: timw33

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Agreed as well. We loved that 2011 team... loved it. The city loved it. You know the boys had each others back and you know that they would compete every night. Remember the brawls? The Drama? Ah, now that was a hockey team I could get behind. This team is lacking something.. a spine.... and it clearly showed tonight. Guys like Burrows, Kesler and Bieksa would be chirping the other bench and try to start something.

That team had swagger. This team....... not so much. A bunch of fake tough guys.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
EP will be fine and everything will go back to normal, but sooner or later there will be a legitimately dirty play on him that everyone notices and will unmistakably call for immediate retribution. That will be real test for how much of a team this team is, not tonight.
He has a concussion. The first test was tonight and the team failed, on purpose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad