Post-Game Talk: Canucks 3 Panthers 2. EP down. Life not worth living.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
This is a quote from Benning in the Province about the lack of retribution. Bolded for emphasis.

Benning echoed his coach’s position.
“The players on the ice, they weren’t even aware that it happened,” he said. “The puck was live, in the slot … they were playing out the play.”
“A lot of the players didn’t see it. We have players who are willing to do that sort of thing (fighting), but we were trying to fight for the win.”
The game itself has changed too, he noted. There was a time when vigilantism was more common, especially when opposing teams took runs at star players.
“You don’t really see a lot of fighting in the game anymore,” he pointed out.

Canuck Elias Pettersson ‘a little bit better’: Benning

I don't understand these comments in light of some of the comments Benning has made in the past. I also don't understand why we signed players who can fight because they can fight if he feels this way. Why couldn't we have had a hard forecheck and thrown some big hits in retribution? Doesn't have to be a fight. Really not liking how our team staff and management have responded to this entire incident.

Reactions: Son of a Dawson

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
I will give the new guys like Roussel (concussion), Schaller, and Beagle some leeway on this one, but it is Gudbranson and Sutter that really anger me for not fighting back. These are guys who call out teammates for having no balls or not having their wonderful amounts of experience, and yet when the young guys actually need their "leadership" they are no where to be seen. I would not be surprised if they were the ones encouraging Bo to institute the video game ban, which ironically, is to foster more camaraderie.

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
Thanks, it’s appreciated.
I never considered kids reading these threads, I too will do my best to refrain from certain language in respect to your son and other's on this site.

This is pretty tough for me, might take time...haha But, I will put in an effort

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
This is a quote from Benning in the Province about the lack of retribution. Bolded for emphasis.

Benning echoed his coach’s position.
“The players on the ice, they weren’t even aware that it happened,” he said. “The puck was live, in the slot … they were playing out the play.”
“A lot of the players didn’t see it. We have players who are willing to do that sort of thing (fighting), but we were trying to fight for the win.”
The game itself has changed too, he noted. There was a time when vigilantism was more common, especially when opposing teams took runs at star players.
“You don’t really see a lot of fighting in the game anymore,” he pointed out.

Canuck Elias Pettersson ‘a little bit better’: Benning

I don't understand these comments in light of some of the comments Benning has made in the past. I also don't understand why we signed players who can fight because they can fight if he feels this way. Why couldn't we have had a hard forecheck and thrown some big hits in retribution? Doesn't have to be a fight. Really not liking how our team staff and management have responded to this entire incident.

Jim Benning, once again realizing things that the rest of us figured out 8 years ago.

Sure would be nice if he realized this before signing Goober to a 4 year extension.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Beagle doesn't count as a player, he's a Benning signing.

Beagle doesn't count as much because he is not in the long term plans of our team.

When games and wins will again matter in Vancouver he will be long gone/retired/AHL.

Jim Benning, once again realizing things that the rest of us figured out 8 years ago.

Sure would be nice if he realized this before signing Goober to a 4 year extension.

Thats how it goes here.

Last season Jim learned that some teams trade for D men during the trade deadline. He said he would look in to that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->