Post-Game Talk: Canucks 3 Panthers 2. EP down. Life not worth living.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
It really did look like nobody cared, and that's a big problem. First thing I'd do is send down Schaller and call up Archibald. And he can bring back Biega on his way. You don't have to have a bunch of pugilists, but you do need people who care about their teammates. To take one example of a guy who clearly doesn't, the only player I've ever seen Gudbranson stand up for is himself. Somewhere out there Dorsett is shaking his head.

You’d expect more out of our future leaders. They’re going to be with the team for a long long time . We tried signing guys on one year contracts to retaliate and they didn’t work either . It’s the guys like burrows and Kessler when they were here that stuck up for our boys , even Hansen at times in his last year here. You want core guys like that , not this . He scored that goal and Matheson was right there. Go f***ing get him , this is why he isn’t named captain .

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I came here assuming everyone would be mad at Matheson for the hit, but oddly enough all I've seen are posts where everyone else aside for him are being complained about. Then I remembered that this is HF boards, and all we do as a group routinely complain about is the team that Benning has put together, and I felt dumb for my silly assumption.

I certainly do get the frustration about no pushback from the team, but I guess I didn't think that's all the fans would be talking about.

Because that was one of the core argument of how awesomely GOD-like Dim Jim is: he put together a team full of grit and toughness so no one will push us around anymore YEAH!!

Then team proceeds to stand around [mod] when EP40 gets bullied.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jack Burton

member 290103

I came here assuming everyone would be mad at Matheson for the hit, but oddly enough all I've seen are posts where everyone else aside for him are being complained about. Then I remembered that this is HF boards, and all we do as a group routinely complain about is the team that Benning has put together, and I felt dumb for my silly assumption.

I certainly do get the frustration about no pushback from the team, but I guess I didn't think that's all the fans would be talking about.

The team that Benning put together sat with their thumbs up their ass while their best player, a rookie, was obliterated in a dirty hit. Smart fans are directing their anger properly - at the Canuck players. Shills and hired PR posters are, as usual, trying to deflect criticism away from where it is warranted.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
should have been a royal rumble in that bitch after the choke slam

gutless team

where the f*** was our "tuff guys"

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
What does "self preservation" mean in this context? According to your thinking the consequence for this hit should be what, a fight? So, the risk of being punched a couple times? Maybe a broken nose? Much more likely it's 30 seconds of wrestling while most of the crowd looks at their phones. That risk is not going to weigh on the mind of any of these guys. It doesn't work like that.

When did Matheson cross the line? Most of us would agree it wasn't the initial hit. So, is his fear of retribution supposed to kick-in sometime after that hit and before he bodyslams Elias? If the Canucks are properly deterring teams does Elias never get hit? That doesn't seem realistic at all.

As I said, the knowledge of a thorough response to any illegal physicality on Elias is not going to prevent all physicality, but it does serve as a deterrent. I am not suggesting something anything new to the game of hockey. Teams have always protected their skilled, small players. The lack of any response by the Canucks in this game is an aberration on their part.

Reactions: NuxFan09

Rey

Jan 11, 2007

I certainly do get the frustration about no pushback from the team, but I guess I didn't think that's all the fans would be talking about, especially not in the wake of the Moore/Bertuzzi history.

You would have to think even Matheson expecting retribution . He looked worried after the hit and keep looking around , he even skated around our players and no one even looked at him .. you can even thank Matheson for having the guts to do that . Moore would’ve been hiding somewhere

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
It's not fair blame guys like Gudbranson and Rousell when Travis Green calls the shots and tells them to stand down.

This goes to show that merely signing some tough guys isn't enough for a team to come together and stand up for each other. It can help but it's something that happens over time, it doesn't happen overnight. There's no quick fixes and building an elite locker room culture is a slow process. This lack of response shows how much farther the team has to go in coming together. It'll happen eventually but I hope this incident has alerted Weisbrod and Benning and they will take the appropriate steps to fix this. Maybe call a meeting with coach Green and in no uncertain terms explain to him that this stuff should never be tolerated.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
As I said, the knowledge of a thorough response to any illegal physicality on Elias is not going to prevent all physicality, but it does serve as a deterrent. I am not suggesting something anything new to the game of hockey. Teams have always protected their skilled, small players. The lack of any response by the Canucks in this game is an aberration on their part.

yeah, no, it doesn't serve as a deterrent. You're definitely correct to write that this false belief is not new to hockey, but in 2018 it seems to have less credibility than ever before.

I would have been just fine seeing Matheson get beaten up. I would have enjoyed it. But to pretend the desire for pushback is anything but bloodlust is just silly imo.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Call up Gaudette, Call up Dahlen and get rid of these fake tough guys if this is the direction of the team.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
It's not fair blame guys like Gudbranson and Rousell when Travis Green calls the shots and tells them to stand down.

This goes to show that merely signing some tough guys isn't enough for a team to come together and stand up for each other. It can help but it's something that happens over time, it doesn't happen overnight. There's no quick fixes and building an elite locker room culture is a slow process. This lack of response shows how much farther the team has to go in coming together. It'll happen eventually but I hope this incident has alerted Weisbrod and Benning and they will take the appropriate steps to fix this. Maybe call a meeting with coach Green and in no uncertain terms explain to him that this stuff should never be tolerated.

Doesn’t matter if Travis green calls the shots, players don’t have to listen . Ask jack eichel LOL. We want leaders not followers , do you think when we had our core in 2011 that our players would give a shit what av said ? The boys defending each other and got in shit for it and everyone loves them for it

Bo horvat has solidified himself on the team and he’s been in the league long enough . He’s no longer a rookie , he gets praised for leadership . Where was he ?

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
The issue i have is you do not wait for an injury to let teams know. You overreact you talk crap whenever a player takes a run at him. Roussel is coming off a concussion. Players like Horvat and Virtanen need to stand up in general. Also the ref seems to care more about protecting his own feelings then the 19 year old star rookie. He was right there.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Can anyone confirm?

I hear Elliot Friedman said: "I hear he'll be back next game" on status of EP. I saw it from my twitter feed.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Can anyone confirm?

I hear Elliot Friedman said: "I hear he'll be back next game" on status of EP. I saw it from my twitter feed.

I’m hoping they kept him out to be precautionary, but concussions can be freaking insidious in how they sneak up on you. Hours after, or even the next day or the day following, the symptoms can hit. I’d rather the Canucks be overly careful than anything else with this.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
I’m hoping they kept him out to be precautionary, but concussions can be freaking insidious in how they sneak up on you. Hours after, or even the next day or the day following, the symptoms can hit. I’d rather the Canucks be overly careful than anything else with this.
This, so much this.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Greener will tell him to suck it up and get back out there. His job is on the line after all.

This is true. Look at the amount of sweat on his head after the game during his interview. More nervous he’s been all day

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
This is true. Look at the amount of sweat on his head after the game during his interview. More nervous he’s been all day

I wonder if Aquilini would be happy with his decision to not do anything considering the PR storm this is turning into. Lets not forget Aqulini is also a fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad