Post-Game Talk: Canucks 3 - Dallas 4 OT || Oh No we suck again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
bruh

the point isn't how exciting the hockey is. i've been satisfied w the excitement of hockey until the third period when we've blown game after game after game after game

it's the fact that our record should be better than it is, but right now it's a mediocre record and our coach is more at fault than the players for the results right now

coaches can be great guys. coaches can be dicks. results matter. this is a team that has continuously said they want to and probably expect to make the playoffs - but playing like this and COACHING like this won't get you into the playoffs

it is what it is - mediocre

How can that be? with this crappy team that Benning has assembled?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I think you are confusing being happy with the loss with being happy with the compete level and the general performance of the team. No one here is claiming the game was played perfectly, but when does that happen? I know I can be happy with the performance today. The stars are a good team, and when down they will push hard. Too bad we couldn't hold them off in the end, but that is the way the game works sometimes.

But it is the way it has been for a chunk of games this season...blowing leads. I'm all for good efforts but good efforts don't win games, they only generate moral victories.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I didn't think it was mediocre at all, great effort and very entertaining game.

In case you missed it, I like our coach too. Players seem to really want to play for him, we've been in every game so far.

Befor the game it was everyone expecting a blowout... Then we get a point and everyone is full of hate...

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Befor the game it was everyone expecting a blowout... Then we get a point and everyone is full of hate...

look if you'd told us we'd be getting a point in this game, we'd all take it.

it's the way we're getting the point - we should have had two, but now dallas has two and we only have one.

it's a major difference.

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
But it is the way it has been for a chunk of games this season...blowing leads. I'm all for good efforts but good efforts don't win games, they only generate moral victories.

But how long can that continue for? Seems to me like they are in the hunt for a win quite often, and have just fallen short a few times now. I don't believe being so close to a win and then losing defines a team as garbage, especially this early in the season.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

People are right to be worried about being Flames "lost years" type team again this year. The worst possible outcome this year is making the playoffs, keeping Hamhuis, Vrbata, Prust for those playoffs and getting wiped out in the 1st round. Just like we did last year.

Blowing yet another 3rd period lead in a similar way does not help.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
People are right to be worried about being Flames "lost years" type team again this year. The worst possible outcome this year is making the playoffs, keeping Hamhuis, Vrbata, Prust for those playoffs and getting wiped out in the 1st round. Just like we did last year.

Blowing yet another 3rd period lead in a similar way does not help.

But if your goal is to not make the playoffs and lose in round 1, wouldn't blowing leads be a good thing?

arsmaster*

We've won 4 out of 10. Not sure which world that's a good thing or not dissapointing but I guess I'm throwing myself on the floor like a toddler suggesting any disappointment in blowing 2 goal 3rd period leads in 3 of the last 4.

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
We've won 4 out of 10. Not sure which world that's a good thing or not dissapointing but I guess I'm throwing myself on the floor like a toddler suggesting any disappointment in blowing 2 goal 3rd period leads in 3 of the last 4.

I don't think anyone here is saying that losing the lead is not disappointing. But look at the whole game. It was pretty damn good, and to throw all that out because of how it ended doesn't seem very rational. Doesn't mean we should overlook the way it ended, but that also doesn't mean we should overlook rest of the game.

arsmaster*

I don't think anyone here is saying that losing the lead is not disappointing. But look at the whole game. It was pretty damn good, and to throw all that out because of how it ended doesn't seem very rational. Doesn't mean we should overlook the way it ended, but that also doesn't mean we should overlook rest of the game.

It wasn't that good though IMO. And posters are suggesting it's not worthy of disappointment. Expressing disappointment has been compared to a toddlers tantrum.

The Canucks scored one EV strength goal. Were being outshot 10-0 when we scored. Blew a 2 goal lead in the 3rd period for the 3rd time in 4 games.

4 wins in 10.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
This board is so polarized that there's people looking for downsides in 5-1 wins and people looking for silver linings in blowing 3 2 goal 3rd period leads.

Our 3rd periods are atrocious. If we want to be successful WD clearly needs to find a way to correct how passive we become.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Weird coming from a Chelsea fan. :laugh:

that isn't what i meant - playing the trap like the wild or kings is fine but we're clearly incapable of that.

we're just trying to labor to hold 3 points late in games when we don't have the players to do that.

i know you probably understood what i meant, and just wanted to get that shot in but just in case - a comparison is that we're blowing 3 points to go down to 1 point which is not good.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
I just feel dumb for thinking, dreaming, believing that today would be different. Up 3-1 on the Stars? This edition of the Canucks is going to close that **** out! But nope.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Nononono, it's all about the philosophy

Nah. From a general sense, batten down the hatches, rely on the vets, set up shop sounds fine.

but then you look at where the canucks are as a team. tire fire third pairing? players not capable of being a 3 line team in the 3rd? yep. coaches being stubborn? yep. is this team a competitor? nope. is this season a waste if we're not going to be giving young players a chance to make mistakes and grow as players? yep.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Tomorrow is D-DAY for Mccann

We should probably have an answer by Saturday after he plays in Phoenix tomorrow.

I'm still hoping Virtanen goes back, but I am torn on Mccann.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Tomorrow should be d-day for our junior hockey coach, and then we wouldn't have to worry about any of kids being sent back....Travis Green is now into his third season behind the bench in Utica....he has as much or more pro coaching experience than Desjardins...hopefully the change will happen by the end of the year.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Nononono you guys are both wrong, it's all about the philosophy.

WD doesn't believe in the rookies and is playing not to lose rather than to win.

Virtanen was out there in the last minutes of the game, Hutton too.

Everything I've heard and read about WD suggest that he is passionate about winning which may explain why his players like playing for him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Sloppy game from both teams, although it made for an entertaining contest. Were lucky not to be burned early, then played pretty well, then blew it late with negative play.

This coach sucks. Can't really say much more than that. Can't run a bench at the NHL level. Profoundly negative in approach. Makes following the team less enjoyable.

- Miller had a great first 10 minutes and then was pretty awful the rest of the way. Ongoing problem tracking point shots/deflections came up again in a big way.

- Edler-Tanev were very good. Better game from Edler, looked sharper.

- Hutton had a couple 'oops' moments but generally drove the play forward well. Weber was meh.

- Sbartkowski were horrible. That was a game worthy of classic Sbieksa. Just ugly to watch.

- Sedins were good but overplayed in the 3rd. Still hard to criticize on a night they generate 2 goals.

- Horvat just isn't skating well and seems to be lacking confidence. Dragging around Baertschi doesn't help.

- Sutter was quiet. Burrows had better jump. Virtanen did little aside from one nice hit.

- Gaunce had one poor shift but was otherwise very good and probably the best of the rookies tonight. McCann was quiet.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
AV's team could lock it down in the 3rd period like no other, but this group works best when pushing forward. As much as the young guys inject energy into the team, we don't have enough of the experienced veteran core.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Virtanen was out there in the last minutes of the game, Hutton too.

Everything I've heard and read about WD suggest that he is passionate about winning which may explain why his players like playing for him.

Our leading goalscorer had the 2nd least amount of icetime because he's 19.

Also, players are playing under WD because they get paid to play under WD.

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
Expressing disappointment has been compared to a toddlers tantrum.

I would say it is the way some posters express their disappointment. It does come across as a toddlers tantrum at times.

I realize there are many flaws in the canucks, but that is the way a team game is played sometimes. What are the chances of having a team without flaws in a salary cap league? At a minimum I want to see them compete and have a chance to win every game, and that is what I have gotten so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad