Post-Game Talk: Canucks 3 - Dallas 4 OT || Oh No we suck again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Dallas is the best team that I saw that we have played thus far, better than Saint Luis. Relentless on the attack for most the game. Hung with them for only the middle frame and otherwise didn't play well enough to win. Lucky to get one point.

Something needs to give with Willie's holding on and praying for dear life tactic in the third. Other than Sedins and Vrbata the lines look disjointed. Drawing close to decision time. A kid or two needs to be sent down, and the lines should be settled upon and given a chance to play long enough to mesh.

No surprise Gaunce looks more ready than either Virtanen or McCann. I'd keep McCann longer, if only for the flashes of offensive potential he can provide now.

Miller needs rest and I hope he gets it tomorrow.

Hutton is something else. Zero nerves when with the puck and is literally toying with would be forecheckers. Looking like the best draft pick of the Gillis era.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Trash coach is trash.

Horvat isn't snake bit. He's being used as a shutdown guy and has a boat anchor tied to him in the form of Baertschi

JA

The second powerplay unit should feature Jared McCann instead of Sven Baertschi.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
playing with Baerts on your side is like swimming with a cinder block tied to your ankle. it didn't help that Hansen was also playing like a cinder block.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Pissing away another lead after 40 minutes. Wow. Willie needs to figure his **** put. We can't play the third period like we are killing a penalty, it's not going to work.

Something needs to be done about Sbisa-Bartskowski. Neither should be in the NHL. Biega in tomorrow please.

Overall not a great night for Miller I thought but was great early when we were getting outplayed by a large margin. Bachman should be in tomorrow.

Gaunce the best rookie today I thought. Doesn't look out of place at all. Quiet night for the other rookies aside from Virtanen's hit.

Still waiting on Baertschi...

JA

Baertschi didn't have a second of PP time today if my memory serves correct
It seems it was Alex Burrows.

I think McCann might have more chemistry with Horvat than either of those two players. He has greater natural offensive gifts, in my opinion. It's worth a shot. Alex Burrows was never an ideal second unit powerplay contributor in the past, and to continue to use him in that role when we have other, more suitable offensive players puzzles me.

Edit: The last time Baertschi received any PP time was against Washington! I guess I'm not paying close enough attention to the few PP shifts that the second unit receives. I've been watching too much of the Baertschi-Horvat combination and thinking to myself that something's amiss, but it's Burrows who I think needs to be removed from the PP. I think McCann might also be able to make a bigger contribution to the second unit than Burrows -- there's more creativity there. It just seems more logical to me. The time between the first unit's shifts on the PP seems like filler right now. Very forgettable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brock Boeser

Mar 11, 2013
Virtanen had a really tough game. He turns the puck over or kills a developing play due to his mismanagement of the puck which he really needs to work on.

Think Jake goes, Jared stays and Gaunce is sent down once either Prust or Higgins is healthy

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Willie continues to be inept at line management. it truly is mind boggling how a man with that many degrees can't simply reflect on whats happening and see where he is going wrong. its literally baffling, i can't think of any reason why he can't do it because he seems to be a pretty smart guy.

just disgusting in OT to send out weber and bart in the 3v3. just rediculous. i dunno what else to say that already hasn't been said, but his line management, playing time per game for various players, and matchups have been dog s***.

terrible coach making absolutely dumb decisions.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
This game would have been over in the first 10 minutes if Miller hadn't stood on his head. Should have had the first goal against but the others were the kind of seeing eye goals that just happen if you allowed the other team too much zone time in your own end.

Gaunce showed better wheels than previously and looked mostly at ease with the pace. Dorsett gave him some great set ups but Gaunce was getting in a little too tight to give himself any sort of an angle.

McCann looked ordinary and looked effected by the loss of Prust.

Liked Virtanen in this game. His speed kept him right in the play all game and generally seemed in the flow. Obviously has a ways to go (especially in coverage in his end) but you can see the talent and the danger he will pose as he gets more experience. People expecting him to be the finished product are simply unrealistic.

Very good game by Burrows although seemed to run out of gas a bit in the third. Team is over-relying on some players and that may be some explanation for fading in the third.

Sedins and Vrbata had strong games as well.

Sutter does some small things that help but needs to be more of factor offensively. Not converting the chance from Gaunce was critical in this game.

Dorsett with another solid effort but another player that has to be overplayed.

Edler - Tanev by far the best of the pairings. Bart looked real bad early and overall seems only good in open ice. Sbisa was better than Bart but still more a negative than a positive. Canucks are just too thin on defense.

Baertschi flat out doesn't have enough speed to compete. Gets run down quickly and then tries to loft passes ahead. Unless he pick up the skating is of little use to the team. I wonder now if he would get picked up if put on waivers.

Canucks had 4 rookies in the lineup and given that are doing very well.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Virt at 6 looks like a bad decision.
He's got a long way to
Go to be the player he was projected to become. (Lucic lite)

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
ye please don't blame Miller

Andersen was 3rd star with .890% vs Dallas and I thought he should have been 1st star

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
Bartkowski is a bad defensemen. Pretty obvious why he couldn't crack a bad Boston defense last year. Weber is infinitely better, younger, and cheaper. You have to worry when a guy who plays as wild as he does puts up very little offense.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
We are all aware that this 3rd period lead thing has been happening since 2011 over three coaching staffs and is directly proportional to the progressive deterioration of the talent on the team right?

Having said that, it's on Willie to realize that what he's doing isn't working.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
We are all aware that this 3rd period lead thing has been happening since 2011 over three coaching staffs and is directly proportional to the progressive deterioration of the talent on the team right?

Having said that, it's on Willie to realize that what he's doing isn't working.

I know, it seems odd that people think it didn't happen. I know a few AV years the team was a lock for a win going in with a lead but that isn't the team that has struggled since the presidents trophies. It got worse.

leading after 2
(a few of the wins will come from OT/SO after losing leads but here are the numbers)

AV
06-07 30-1-5
08-09 27-1-1
09-10 32-1-0
10-11 38-0-3
11-12 32-1-2
12-13 18-2-3*
(* ~ 32-4-5)

Torts
13-14 21-5-2

Willie
14-15 30-1-3
15-16 3-1-3

Flukey stats and small numbers

Last edited:

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
We are straight up shooting ourselves in the foot playing Sbisa 06:08 ES minutes in the 3rd period trying to defend a lead.

Bartkowski also had 06:04 ES minutes in the 3rd.

Meanwhile we are only playing Hutton 04:47 even strength minutes in the 3rd.

Why couldn't Hutton play Sbisa ES minutes in the 3rd?

I don't think it's bad that WD wants to park the bus to protect a lead. But he is just relying on the wrong personnel. These kids are never going to learn to protect a lead if you never put them out there.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
I know, it seems odd that people think it didn't happen. I know a few AV years the team was a lock for a win going in with a lead but that isn't the team that has struggled since the presidents trophies. It got worse.

leading after 2
(a few of the wins will come from OT/SO after losing leads but here are the numbers)

AV
06-07 30-1-5
08-09 27-1-1
09-10 32-1-0
10-11 38-0-3
11-12 32-1-2
12-13 18-2-3*
(* ~ 32-4-5)

Torts
13-14 21-5-2

Willie
14-15 30-1-3
15-16 3-1-3

Flukey stats and small numbers

We're worse than almost every AV year 10 games into the season. Not a fluke when you establish a pattern.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
I thought Sven was decent this game :dunno:
I think he just needs a bit more time, as he looks to get more confident with and without the puck

People just seem to automatically bash him, especially when Horvat isn't playing great himself
Clearly it's Horvat's linemates that are dragging him down

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Predatory hit by virtanen. Could see it every step of the way, just looking to lay Nuke the *** out. Love it. We need someone like that, especially one who can do it clean. Loved the calls from the stars bench, Virt unfased, badass skating here, no big deal.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I thought Sven was decent this game :dunno:
I think he just needs a bit more time, as he looks to get more confident with and without the puck

People just seem to automatically bash him, especially when Horvat isn't playing great himself
Clearly it's Horvat's linemates that are dragging him down

Yeah I agree with this. Baertschi was actually pretty good tonight, the line as a whole generated a lot of chances. Horvat has been average at best this year, but at least he's carrying the play much better than last year (possession wise)

Pucks will start going in for him and his linemates.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
We are straight up shooting ourselves in the foot playing Sbisa 06:08 ES minutes in the 3rd period trying to defend a lead.

Bartkowski also had 06:04 ES minutes in the 3rd.

Meanwhile we are only playing Hutton 04:47 even strength minutes in the 3rd.

Why couldn't Hutton play Sbisa ES minutes in the 3rd?

I don't think it's bad that WD wants to park the bus to protect a lead. But he is just relying on the wrong personnel. These kids are never going to learn to protect a lead if you never put them out there.

Wow this is just ridiculous. I thought Hutton-Weber was our 2nd best pairing in this game behind Edler-Tanev. Classic Willie bumping Sbisa's ice time up in the 3rd to protect a lead.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
On another front, I thought the Sedins were excellent today. Puck movement was very good and every time they stepped on the ice it would turn the momentum in our favour if the Stars had it previously. Seemed like they spent almost every shift in the offensive end.

Good to see Gaunce get into the lineup. How fitting is it that his first NHL shift was on the PK? :laugh: Didn't look out of place at all and has good defensive instincts.

Liked Horvat with Hansen who worked well together which we saw last season. Did not like that Dorsett was bumped up to their LW when the coach shortened the bench. Thought Baertschi could've been used more, considering he wasn't hurting us out there on that line throughout most of the game until that point.

Good to see Burrows get a goal... Sutter just doesn't belong on a 2nd line however. Virtanen had a huge hit on Nichushkin which was cool I guess, but needs to show more offensively. Struggles to get the puck out of his zone along the boards.

Edler-Tanev were good, thought the coaching had a lot to do with them getting swamped in the 3rd. Hutton and Weber looked very good especially in terms of moving the puck up the ice. Hutton has grown in his defensive positioning and he's getting to be pretty good at standing opponents up in the neutral zone and at our blueline. Thought they should have played more in the 3rd. Instead we got more Sbisa-Bartkowski... yech. That these 2 got more ES minutes this game than Hutton-Weber was a farce.

And this seems like it's becoming a thing, but Miller just seems to struggle with long-range shots in general. Good early on though, but maybe there's some fatigue creeping in here...

------

Edit: Sbisa and Bartkowski got more ES minutes than Tanev in the entire game FFS.

The tide started to seriously turn in DAL's favour at around the 10-min mark of the 3rd and I suspect playing that pairing the most in that period had a lot to do with it. WD gonna WD.

Last edited:

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
This was a weird game.
I had us pencilled for a loss before it began and sure looked that way but for Miller early. But then the Canucks took this game over impressively -- pushing the pace and being more physical, they turned a huge shot defecit into an advantage. And man, did Dallas look a mess defensively -- we shouldve had a few more on Niemi. But then the 3rd was another massive momentum shift, and when the one went in off sbisa i figured we were in trouble. To me this game, St Louis, Caps, all the same ... Its like they are trying to play an impressive, fast, creative, physical game for which they just dont have the talent, and more talented teams are beating them at that same game when they wake up. On paper our blueline is one of the worst in the league, but they are playing above their level. Also we have no proven scoring forwards beyond that aging top line. Id say WD has actually been getting a lot out of this crew, and the letdowns are not hugely surprising.
Ps i hate 3-on-3 OT...what a pointless circus act that is. Supposed to end game w less of a 'skills competition', but why is pond hockey a better solution? Equally irrevelevant to the regular game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig