Post-Game Talk: Canucks 2 @ Sabres 3 | Ew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Buffalo made a ton of glaring mistakes, more than us.

The mistakes weren't the difference, they just capitalized on a higher percentage of their chances.

They stick out when they end up in the back of your net -that's what I meant by glaring. We're saying the same thing.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
We had one in av and in his last two seasons here we won one playoff game. And then torts...

Some overvalue the players on this roster.

Nice try. Av didnt have

Horvat
Hutton
weber
bartkowski
mccann
Virtanen
dorsett
sutter
vrbata

The changes from 2013 are so drastic you cant even say its the ae team. Bieksa off the team alone makes any coach have a layoff chance.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
- Tanev and Edler were good but not at the very top of their games.

- Probably won't get many agreements here, but I thought Bartkowski was our best player today. Hamhuis was a bit better than last game, but that's not saying much.

- Hutton was very good outside of his screen on Miller at the end and Weber was okay outside of his turnover that led to their first goal.

- Sedins carried the play all game but undid what they put on the scoreboard with one brutal shift at the end.

- Horvat with yet another egregious goal-costing mistake in his own zone. Another disappointing performance overall. So far he has only 2 good ones on the season. I hate to rag on the guy every game 'cause he's only 20 and it's only his 2nd season but after his rookie year it's tough not to have higher expectations.

- Burrows and Hansen continue to be effective gritty, energy wingers.

- Baertschi and Virtanen both had good 1st periods and then faded. Doesn't really help that their shifts are few and far between.

- Offense seems to follow McCann around all season. Needs to get more ice even if he's a liability sometimes.

- I actually really miss Prust lol. Dorsett has been terrible ever since Prust was injured.

- Obligatory PGT statement #1: Sutter is a nothing player at center, put him on the wing.

- Obligatory PGT statement #2: Power-play setups suck. Take Edler off the power-play, replace him with Sutter, replace Sutter with McCann on the 2nd unit.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Daniel made poor pass but the team got all 5 players back to defend. If Hutton doesn't decide to play goalie in front of him, I bet Miller makes that save.

But with 30 seconds left in a tie game you absolutely have to dump that puck around the boards behind the Sabres net. Was really surprised to see Daniel opt to take the puck to the meddle being one of the last guys back.

And yeah, it a poor play by Hutton too.

Really like how this team gets goals from all 4 lines though. Another goal from the 4th line today and this is going to be what keeps them in the playoff hunt this season IMO.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Game is summed up to me by the fact eichel and mcccann were tied for points at start of the game. 5 goals each.

By the end iam thinking why is mccann playing with the 2 coldest least offensive players on the team also on the 4th line.

Wd does the opposite. He deals with it like a nusiance. Mccann is too good to put anywhere but the top 6 either on a wing. Or move sutter to play wih dorsett.

McCann isn't a bad fit for the 4th line. Higgins is a good LW to shelter him, Higgins can play defense and has some playmaking ability and is a whole lot better than a typical 4th liner. Your biggest qualm should be McCann's lack of PP time. That's the best shot on this team not being used by Willie.

Dorsett is a head scratcher. He looks like he's trying but doesn't do much. I guess he needs to slot in somewhere but it shouldn't be next to a offensive C like McCann. Starting to wish we had Prust back.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
How can horvat get 0.5ppg when he has a new lw every game.

No sarcasm how are your expectations so high for a guy who has not had the same line for more than 3 days

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Nice try. Av didnt have

Horvat
Hutton
weber
bartkowski
mccann
Virtanen
dorsett
sutter
vrbata

The changes from 2013 are so drastic you cant even say its the ae team. Bieksa off the team alone makes any coach have a layoff chance.

lol, alright. You win.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
I also can't fathom how Sven Baertschi isn't on the 2nd unit PP. That's his bread and butter and he was tremendous there for Utica last season. Talk about failing to put him in a position to succeed. Hurts the team too.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
That's the difference over last year... They aren't winning ot games and are choking away points.

They had a similar lull after a good start last year, and then picked it up with some inspired hockey seemingly after the Benn-Seguin comments. I'm sure they'll have some better stretches thoughout the year. At 35, they're not going to be able to take over every time they're needed, but they're still capable of it at times throughout the year, and most games they'll still dominate possession and pot a few points even if they don't look too dangerous.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
McCann isn't a bad fit for the 4th line. Higgins is a good LW to shelter him, Higgins can play defense and has some playmaking ability and is a whole lot better than a typical 4th liner. Your biggest qualm should be McCann's lack of PP time. That's the best shot on this team not being used by Willie.

Dorsett is a head scratcher. He looks like he's trying but doesn't do much. I guess he needs to slot in somewhere but it shouldn't be next to a offensive C like McCann. Starting to wish we had Prust back.

From viewing their limited time together, I would definitely prefer Prust to Dorsett. He's slow but actually has some decent mitts to set up McCann

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Its the coach.

The team looks like it has potential every shift but desjardins just implements the same old dump and chase. Shoot from the outside and try to get a rebound run and gun hockey.

Its an entertaining system that fits what benning wants with the players we have.

But nhl expereience is about knowing how to make your young players and veterans work in sync.

Bylsma sent out eichel and reinhart. Desjardins sent out henrik and daniel.

I remind u mccann is tied with eichel for goals. A canucks prospect has a chance at the calder. And the coach rather play the same two guys vancouver has seen for 15 years.

Its nhl expereince wd doesnt get it

Do you feel wd gives the kids confidence in their play. I dont

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Recording cut out with a about three minutes to so never saw what the hell happened on the winning goal but did think the team played well enough to deserve a win.

One very real positive for me is McCann. I had my doubts that he could hold up but there were periods in this game where he was moving faster than the play and was very comfortable making plays. Also like Virtanen. His release is so quick. Once he settles in and if gets on the right line he is going to be a force. Thought he was also making the right plays in his own end and through mid-ice. I think he has the best first couple of steps on the team

Sedins did what they could and carried most of the offense. Can have a problem with the way they are playing. Vrbata kind of in and out

Team, however, needs more secondary offense. To me Sutter isn't doing it. Good skater but seems to lack ability to play in traffic around the net or move the puck quickly enough in tight quarters. I can't see how he is second line player on a good team.

Horvat line likely the worse. Not bad in the first but seemed to sag after that. Horvat game lacks much flow and his first step issues are causing him to get caught behind the play coming out of the offensive end. Baertschi is giving what he can and trying to play hard on the boards but really doesn't have the strength to do well there. To me, he has to be using his quickness rather than trying to muscle people off the puck. The disappointing thing with Baertschi is that he hasn't demonstrated the speed and quickness he showed in Junior.

Hutton did a lot of good things in this game and his play remains very encouraging. Got wandering a bit on the cycle in his end but overall he remains a positive. Didn't think Hamhuis had a strong game but holding up his end better in the defensive zone. Right now if you can just get that out of Hamhuis, you probably settle for it.

Good on Higgins for getting to the net and some how getting the puck in the net but overall game was passive and featured some poor puck clearance in his own end.

Dorsett doesn't look right. Back to being the only semblance of toughness on the team and you have to feel some pity for him.

Team remains a marginal playoff team held together by some world class players like the Sedins, Edler and Miller. Acknowledging that and watching a super talent like Eichel you can't help but think that bottoming out to pick up a top end prospect isn't the worse thing in the world.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC

Team player

Not the best thing to say but he's probably just frustrated 'cause his own D-men screened him hard on two of the goals and he's going to take blame for the game.

Whether or not he did a good enough job fighting through the screens and tracking the puck is up for debate.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I get the impression Miller isn't trying to throw teammates under the bus, but he just gets a little too honest with his answers and doesn't have a lot of tact.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Not the best thing to say but he's probably just frustrated 'cause his own D-men screened him hard on two of the goals and he's going to take blame for the game.

Whether or not he did a good enough job fighting through the screens and tracking the puck is up for debate.

Yeah that's how I understood it too.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
I also can't fathom how Sven Baertschi isn't on the 2nd unit PP. That's his bread and butter and he was tremendous there for Utica last season. Talk about failing to put him in a position to succeed. Hurts the team too.
I would rather have McCann on the 2nd pp, arguably as good a play maker as Baer and a much better shot.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Did Miller count himself as one of those looking at the puck? Because he also missed it.

Atleast he made a better effort then Hutton.

Oh well these are the growing pains any team with youngsters goes through. Duncan Keith was bad his first few years too.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Just watched the game

Lmao that's awful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad