Post-Game Talk: Canucks 1, Predators 0: Expo Ernie Conquers the Sunsphere

Status
Not open for further replies.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Great pk at the end to overcome a gift call by the ref. Team gutted it out and a win is a win. Thought the Canucks were the better team as the game progressed. But the first was brutal.

The Good

Tanev - Damn he is looking good. Not just the speed and passing but some excellent work around his net. Has great ability to raise the intensity at just the right moment and then slow things down. Developing into one of those rare players that can control the pace of the game.

Garrison - going to have to say he played well. Starting to show the kind of poise he lacked earlier. His coverage around the net was greatly improved. Like to see him get the puck to his forehand more but you had to love the compete level. Also, like to see him get to the puck quicker and make live easier on himself. Took some dangerous shots and think those are going to start going in. Seems much more aggressive in the last couple of games

Ballard - playing almost error free hockey. Provides great mobility to the back end. Having a great season

Raymond - does a lot of little things right. Doing a great job of getting the puck out of his end. I think he is really helping the play of Schroeder.

LaPierre. sluggish at the start but had very good third period. Work on the pk and the goal was outstanding. The 4th line looks like it is finally gaining some traction.

Luongo - another god-like performance. A special player who is playing like a special player. We simply don't win without his first period performance.

Burrows - looked to me that he was carrying the Sedins tonight. Made so many great forechecks to provide the line with chances.

Edler - looks so much more comfortable on his correct side. I thought he played very strongly around his net. The Edler - Tanev combo looks like it has the chance to emerge as a huge strength moving ahead

Not So Good

Sedins turned the puck over far too much in this game.

Bieksa was playing brutal but it now appears he was also hurt.

Other points

Nice to see the Dutch Gretzky come through

Kesler looked in the last two periods to regaining some form but still far from back to pre-injury player. Had terrible first period

Booth did some good things but shot still wildly inaccurate and showing very little touch.

Kudos to Schroeder for some good work defensively. Looked a little over-matched at times but his play remains more than adequate. Coaches seem to be handling his time well

Kassian still a work in progress in terms of positioning. Again seemed to puck watch too much and lose track of his positioning and his check. Cringed a bit in the late third period when he was on the ice. But good for AV to stick with him since it is the only way he is going to get it. Saw Weise and LaPierre talking to him trying to get assignments straight.

Have to hope that Bieksa is not too badly hurt. Badly as he has played at times he is important to the team. Would think Alberts would draw in here but team may want to see what they have in Barker. In some ways, it might be better to call up someone from Chicago since they have at least been seeing some game action but doubt that happens.

Nashville is big bodied strong team who is not easy to play. They have great defensive system and great goal tending. May have been a bit of boring game but the Canucks deserve credit for beating this team.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
Well we have 5 defenseman who are capable of playing Top 4 minutes. Alberts will probably play 5-10 minutes against Detroits 3rd/4th lines. If he's out there against Datsyuk or Zetterberg our coaching staff is asleep at the whell and asking for trouble.

Wings will have the last change, so it's not like the Canucks can completely shelter Alberts. It will be interesting to see who they pair him with, my guess would be Ballard.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
That's great. It's still three games above .500. If you go 5-0-5, that's not 1.00 hockey, despite what anyone says.

".500" is now a meaningless term. It used to signify the exact average nhl team. Now anybody at .500 or below is a bad team.

CCF23

Jul 11, 2008
Richmond, BC
Luongo might be playing better than his first season here, which I didn't even think was possible. I think it's time to annoint him the "starter" for the time being.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Jesus blake price is high on barker. Callers calling in saying barker is a potential top 4 d men. Very skilled defense men.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
And if you ask oilers fan that was a nightmare they never want to see again, even for a team with low standards.

Outside99*

Great summary by orca.

On that late 3 on 2 that turns into a 2 on 1 on Tanev, does Lu make the save or was it magic by Tanev?

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
Jesus blake price is high on barker. Callers calling in saying barker is a potential top 4 d men. Very skilled defense men.

This combined with the whole "Ebbett is playing better than Schroeder in Chicago" thing really confirms that Vancouver media guys really have no idea of what is going with Hockey in general.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
This combined with the whole "Ebbett is playing better than Schroeder in Chicago" thing really confirms that Vancouver media guys really have no idea of what is going with Hockey in general.

Not sure if he counts as Vancouver media, but Ray Ferraro was on 1040 this morning saying that Bieksa has been our best defenseman this season. So yeah, that too. :laugh:

Nuck Bonino

May 10, 2011
Good win tonight. Is it bad that I dont get half of the references Zombo makes in his GDTs ? :(

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
".500" is now a meaningless term. It used to signify the exact average nhl team. Now anybody at .500 or below is a bad team.

There was a thread on this, might've been the main board or the stats board. I think they said .560 is the new .500.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Luongo might be playing better than his first season here, which I didn't even think was possible. I think it's time to annoint him the "starter" for the time being.

If we keep both goalies for the season and Lu outplays schneider in the playoffs, it's time for MG to start thinking about trading schneider. We all know he'll get a better return that will actually help this team. If our team is struggling as we approach the trade deadline, trade schneider+ for legit top 6 help. I still think the best idea for this team is to keep both goalies and get as high of a seed as we can for this season. Last season was a write-off with Kesler's injury and the Kings anomaly of a playoff run.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
If we keep both goalies for the season and Lu outplays schneider in the playoffs, it's time for MG to start thinking about trading schneider. We all know he'll get a better return that will actually help this team. If our team is struggling as we approach the trade deadline, trade schneider+ for legit top 6 help. I still think the best idea for this team is to keep both goalies and get as high of a seed as we can for this season. Last season was a write-off with Kesler's injury and the Kings anomaly of a playoff run.

Agree completely. Also, don't forget Daniel was out for the 1st three games as well.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC

I have a feeling Lu is staying

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver

I don't think its a good idea to make the decision to trade Schneider in a shortened season.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

The system of not knowing who is the actual starter, or the backup seems to be working just fine if you ask me. I wouldn't appoint either goalie starter, and just keep the system we have going. Right now, it's you have a good one game, or you're out of the net, so I think that gives each goalie a little more motivation to play better.

Luongo will likely be the starter for the next few games if he can keep this up without a bad game.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
didn't watch the game, first thing I wanted to read was Orca's summary.

Wanted to see the Edler-Tanev last year. Tanev is very very stable.

what happened to bieksa? how did he get injured?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad