Post-Game Talk: Canucks 1, Predators 0: Expo Ernie Conquers the Sunsphere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Irbe was pretty good here.. and he was free. He had some good years in Carolina during the dead puck and pillow pads era.

Crows*

Really? They had 12 dead on scoring chances from my count that could've broke the teams back until they picked it up later on. He had pretty much zero margin for error in the first half of the game, was perfect and allowed the team to takeover. Which is funny because they took over in the last period of a back to back and down a dman.

I doubt you watched the first period then. The preds were dominating and with brochu would have been 4-0 most likely.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
How did Ballard look today on the right? Didn't really notice him out there much (probably a good thing).

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I don't really understand why people turned on Auld. He wasn't great, but he was better than Cloutier and played average/solid enough that he usually didn't prevent the team from winning himself.

I also really liked Hedberg.
Alex Auld was never better than Cloutier.

The year Cloutier had a knee injury and missed the season, Auld took the starting job and the Canucks missed the playoffs.

Cloutier had pretty good reg season numbers. He was just terrible in the playoffs.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
How did Ballard look today on the right? Didn't really notice him out there much (probably a good thing).

yup exactly what you said, for a defenseman to go unnoticed is a good thing, if they make a positive impact it's just a bonus for me. We already have Bieksa and Edler as our risk/reward defenseman, dont need Ballard to be another one. Although i would love to see him paired with Hamhuis while Bieksa is gone to see what he would play like in a situation where he could play his game that made him so successful before he came to Vancouver

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
There is absolutely nothing wrong with basing some thought on personal opinion-- That should be the whole purpose of this board.

I think the team would benefit from riding the hot hand. I'm not saying it's an objective fact. Why is that silly?

Because it changes day to day. And there's no really consistent, objective measure. Would you not say Schneider had an excellent game last game? Should he not have then been in net this game? After his shut-out should we not have ridden him?

It just seems to me that people are consistently suggesting we 'ride the hot hand' in the face of a more compressed schedule, and where management seems to have a specific plan as to who starts when. Not having a go at you specifically, more the fact that this seems to be mentioned every time either goalie plays well.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Because it changes day to day. And there's no really consistent, objective measure. Would you not say Schneider had an excellent game last game? Should he not have then been in net this game? After his shut-out should we not have ridden him?

It just seems to me that people are consistently suggesting we 'ride the hot hand' in the face of a more compressed schedule, and where management seems to have a specific plan as to who starts when. Not having a go at you specifically, more the fact that this seems to be mentioned every time either goalie plays well.

Schneider wasn't excellent last game. He let in a soft hard-angle goal on the first shot, and another on an unscreened backhand that I'm sure he'd love to have back. He was quite good in the Chicago game in which he got hung out to dry. However, by his own admission, he spotted Dallas two goals last Friday. Schneider hasn't yet had the consistency this year we've come to expect from him. He's been great in some games, and had others where he's sub-par by his usual standards.

So far I think AV has tried to give them equal minutes to avoid being seen as playing favorites. Luongo has 25 more minutes of ice time. When we get closer to the playoffs though, I think he'll ride whoever is having the better season.

I think someone did an analysis of the last 3-4 years and it showed that .560 is the actual, consistent midpoint.

Point percentage-wise, that's about right. 54 points should be enough to snag 8th in the West this season.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Potvin was actually decent during the regular season.

Sadly he let in one of the worst goals in hockey history against detroit in the playoffs, which will never be forgotten.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Alex Auld was never better than Cloutier.

The year Cloutier had a knee injury and missed the season, Auld took the starting job and the Canucks missed the playoffs.

Cloutier had pretty good reg season numbers. He was just terrible in the playoffs.

Wasnt Auld team MVP that year? We will never know how good Cloutier was as he came to Vancouver right when they were becoming a good team. We do know he wasnt any good anywhere else the same as Auld.

Nov 1, 2011
I like the idea of both goalies playing ~24 games, and going with the hot hand at the end of the year.

Why not just run two goalies through the playoffs?

I just remember how exhausted Luongo looked during our run to the finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad