OT: Canes Board Lounge IX: You Can't Lock this out (Until it hits 1,000)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I've never heard anyone rip on Bourque for leaving. If anything, the real venom was directed toward the Bruins organization itself.

I went to a Red Sox game during the Avs Stanley Cup Series, I think it was game 6. They were handing out the big white posters with the K on them to hold up after strikeouts. The back of them read "All the Way Ray, Go AVS"

The city of Boston was 100% behind Ray Bourque as far as I could tell.

PaulProteus

****ing amaxing dman
Feb 6, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I went to a Red Sox game during the Avs Stanley Cup Series, I think it was game 6. They were handing out the big white posters with the K on them to hold up after strikeouts. The back of them read "All the Way Ray, Go AVS"

The city of Boston was 100% behind Ray Bourque as far as I could tell.

Anyone who watched Bourque play, or is familiar at all with his career and can appreciate it, was. As someone who was close enough to follow the Avs when he was there, I can attest that there were plenty of Bruins fans in attendance from far and wide throughout his time in CO to cheer him on.

What I think is fair to say that the same green-hatted army that gets Sox and Pats logos tattooed on their biceps doesn't understand exactly what happened. The number of people who are butthurt over Bourque's trade is small (and stupid), but believe it or not, does in fact exist. In most places the Internet, if you can fathom someone being wrong and hysterical on the Internet.

So far as I can tell, this minority was born largely after the Bruins won their Stanley Cup in 2011 and they just got tired of people talking about Ray Bourque.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Anyone who watched Bourque play, or is familiar at all with his career and can appreciate it, was. As someone who was close enough to follow the Avs when he was there, I can attest that there were plenty of Bruins fans in attendance from far and wide throughout his time in CO to cheer him on.

What I think is fair to say that the same green-hatted army that gets Sox and Pats logos tattooed on their biceps doesn't understand exactly what happened. The number of people who are butthurt over Bourque's trade is small (and stupid), but believe it or not, does in fact exist. In most places the Internet, if you can fathom someone being wrong and hysterical on the Internet.

So far as I can tell, this minority was born largely after the Bruins won their Stanley Cup in 2011 and they just got tired of people talking about Ray Bourque.

That's probably true. The same bandwagon jumping asshats that took over Fenway Park are probably all Bruins fans now and they couldn't pick Phil Esposito out of a lineup. I went to college with these people who wore Adam Vinateri jerseys around proudly. He's a ****ing kicker! Being a Red Sox fan basically got ruined for me after 2004 because I get lumped in with these know nothing ****** bags. At this point I barely even follow them, and when I go to a game (free tickets) its only to go to my favorite bar in Boston and get a Spikes hotdog.

Thank God I was never a Patriots fan because I would be pretty angry if football got ruined for me too. Luckily I root for the Giants so I've had the pleasure of watching the Patriots get trolled hard twice now.

PaulProteus

****ing amaxing dman
Feb 6, 2012
Raleigh, NC
That's probably true. The same bandwagon jumping asshats that took over Fenway Park are probably all Bruins fans now and they couldn't pick Phil Esposito out of a lineup. I went to college with these people who wore Adam Vinateri jerseys around proudly. He's a ****ing kicker! Being a Red Sox fan basically got ruined for me after 2004 because I get lumped in with these know nothing ****** bags. At this point I barely even follow them, and when I go to a game (free tickets) its only to go to my favorite bar in Boston and get a Spikes hotdog.

Thank God I was never a Patriots fan because I would be pretty angry if football got ruined for me too. Luckily I root for the Giants so I've had the pleasure of watching the Patriots get trolled hard twice now.

I was born and raised as a Yankees/Giants fan thanks to my father (who grew up in an era where neither sport featured teams west of the Mississippi I don't think), so marrying into a family split almost equally between Pats/Sox fans and Yankees/Giants fans has been... interesting, to say the least. Half live in MA and half in CT.

The Giants first beat the Pats when my wife and I were still dating, so I kept quiet out of general civility. The second time was something else entirely. :naughty:

But nothing is the same now as when even I was a kid. I didn't "like" the Red Sox, but nothing nearly on par with what you see between the fanbases now, and I respected them. What's not to love about Dwight Evans? Watching him fire a cannon shot to third to nail a runner was something every sports fan should love.

But it's been overrun with so much insanity (well, maybe not so much since that fateful decision to hire Bobby Valentine, which I loved) that it's impossible to even cope and maintain adult behavior. I find it impossible to even have civilized conversation with the bandwaggoners.

And I don't *want* to hate Boston sports teams, that's the thing. But the asshats you refer to make that almost impossible if all you're even trying to do is enjoy the game and the sport.

Trivial update: Last week my wife and I visited some of her family in FLA. We were near Ft. Myers, where the Red Sox train. When we were leaving to come back to Raleigh our gate was next to a gate departing for Boston. I swear that I heard multiple Dropkick Murphys ringtones. It was sort of hilarious.

Last edited:

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
So I was listening to the radio on two seperate occasions yesterday. First was whatever they're calling 100.7 now. The dj had a little anecdote about how he plays hockey a few times a week and at a game the day before he saw JStaal in the parking lot, then heard from someone else on his team that Mrs Stasl played fir the opposing team

Second time was 99.9. They interrupted ACC tournament talk to get John Forslund on the phone and talk about the team and the recent prospect signings. One of the radio guys actually knew that Lowe is the son of Kevin Lowe.

So my question is: can we finally be stop being considered a 'bad hockey market'?

CanesAvs16

Jun 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
So I was listening to the radio on two seperate occasions yesterday. First was whatever they're calling 100.7 now. The dj had a little anecdote about how he plays hockey a few times a week and at a game the day before he saw JStaal in the parking lot, then heard from someone else on his team that Mrs Stasl played fir the opposing team

Second time was 99.9. They interrupted ACC tournament talk to get John Forslund on the phone and talk about the team and the recent prospect signings. One of the radio guys actually knew that Lowe is the son of Kevin Lowe.

So my question is: can we finally be stop being considered a 'bad hockey market'?

In short, no :D

Sasha Cares

28 mph!!!!!!!
Sep 25, 2006
Island of Misfit Toy
http://www.g105.com/player/?mid=22986889

And on the 8th day
God looked down on his planned paradise and said
I need a bell tower that shines red amongst a sea of blue
A space where students are free to express themselves through words and art
And a campus that caters to students and businesses alike
So god expanded his one man Wolfpack
And god made NC State
God said
I need someplace that will be on the brink of the new technology and new sciences
That will shape our world while maintaining its historic roots of fostering the farmers that will feed America
So god made NC State
God said
I need fans, strong enough to endure a sports program as inconsistent as North Carolina's weather
Strong enough to celebrate wins
And accept losses, while never wavering in their endless support
So god made the Cardiac Pack
It had to be somebody who would faces all of life's obstacles head on knowing that whatever the outcome
They would never give up
Don't ever give up
So god created The Wolfpack Nation
This is Our State
GO PACK!!!!!

Sasha Cares

28 mph!!!!!!!
Sep 25, 2006
Island of Misfit Toy
In Greensboro to watch the games today. Go Pack!

In a patrol car.. **** you
gr_cursin.gif
icon_pissed2.gif

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
So, ya'll wanna hear the world's greatest pick up line?

You: - "Hey babe, nothing serious, but I noticed something different about you."

Girl: - "Huh? What's that?"

You: - "Well, most people are composed primarily of Carbon, but you, however, seem to be composed of equal parts of Beryllium, Gold and Titanium, cause you're BE-AU-TI-ful."

You're welcome :yo:

Last edited:

Sasha Cares

28 mph!!!!!!!
Sep 25, 2006
Island of Misfit Toy
So, ya'll wanna hear the world's greatest pick up line?

You: - "Hey babe, nothing serious, but I noticed something different about you."

Girl: - "Huh? What's that?"

You: - "Well, most people are composed primarily of Carbon, but you, however, seem to be composed of equal parts of Beryllium, Gold and Titanium, cause you're BE-AU-TI-ful."

You're welcome :yo:

the girls I want for the night won't get it.. so no thanks :D...

The only initials I want them to know is DTF - NOW :laugh:

normalpsychology

Oct 27, 2011
Mass
further you get into the tourney... teams, players who aren't truly legit get weeded out. it's what separates the best from all the rest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA