OT: Canes Board Lounge IX: You Can't Lock this out (Until it hits 1,000)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulProteus

****ing amaxing dman
Feb 6, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Interestingly some of those detective went on to play in Homicide and The Wire. The real Jay Landsman would play Bunny Colvin's assistant, Lt. Mello in the Wire and Gary D'Addario (the basis for Gee in Homicide) would play a SWAT team leader in Homicide and a grand jury prosecutor in The Wire.

Yep and yep.

Simon has created an interesting universe out of essentially real people, or composites of real people.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So I'm torn.

I've got a job interview tomorrow. The posting I applied for said it was an entry-level marketing position with a focus on Sports Marketing. I thought "Hey, that's totally what I (and probably half the college population) wants to do"

Get a call this morning from the HR rep from the company asking me if I'm alright with coming in tomorrow to meet with the managers, etc. I agreed, mostly because I had woken up just minutes before and wasn't all there.

I got an email from her just minutes later, giving me the company website, the BBB rating, and some PR videos on YouTube. She also gave me this long, convoluted directions to the office. Nothing detailing the job position I applied for, not very much about the company.

Now I'm doing research on the company, and every gut instinct I've got is telling me this is a scam. There's plenty of testimony out there online saying exactly that, in fact. I got in contact with the HR rep again to address these concerns, and she did a pretty good job of addressing them, though the fact that she seemed ready for the line of questioning doesn't help that "IT'S A SCAM" feeling.

I really don't want to waste time doing this interview if it's just a scam company trying to take advantage of college students. But I don't want to skip the interview either, on the off-chance that it's legitimate.

So without saying the company name (since you'd likely do what I did and Google it, to find the same testimony I did), what's the HF advice here?

PaulProteus

****ing amaxing dman
Feb 6, 2012
Raleigh, NC
So I'm torn.

I've got a job interview tomorrow. The posting I applied for said it was an entry-level marketing position with a focus on Sports Marketing. I thought "Hey, that's totally what I (and probably half the college population) wants to do"

Get a call this morning from the HR rep from the company asking me if I'm alright with coming in tomorrow to meet with the managers, etc. I agreed, mostly because I had woken up just minutes before and wasn't all there.

I got an email from her just minutes later, giving me the company website, the BBB rating, and some PR videos on YouTube. She also gave me this long, convoluted directions to the office. Nothing detailing the job position I applied for, not very much about the company.

Now I'm doing research on the company, and every gut instinct I've got is telling me this is a scam. There's plenty of testimony out there online saying exactly that, in fact. I got in contact with the HR rep again to address these concerns, and she did a pretty good job of addressing them, though the fact that she seemed ready for the line of questioning doesn't help that "IT'S A SCAM" feeling.

I really don't want to waste time doing this interview if it's just a scam company trying to take advantage of college students. But I don't want to skip the interview either, on the off-chance that it's legitimate.

So without saying the company name (since you'd likely do what I did and Google it, to find the same testimony I did), what's the HF advice here?

I ran into almost this exact same situation a few years ago in a different field.

I had good experience in finance and management, and I responded to a job posting that matched my resume, skills and experience perfectly. I did everything I could to make it known that I wanted this job. Hey, it sounded great!

About 20 minutes after I submitted all of my info, my phone rang. That was a red flag for me. I had hired people before, and I can't even print and read a resume in 20 minutes and make the decision to call someone back.

I had some young guy on the phone who sounded as if he'd rather be doing anything other than talking to me. Second flag. What, they can't even put someone on the horn who can speak professionally?

He told me to come on (let's just say) a Wednesday at 9 a.m. I called back a couple of days later to confirm and they had me down for a Thursday at 9 a.m. I called the guy back and he got snippy and told me that of COURSE he said Thursday at 9. Never mind the fact that he was talking to someone with about a decade of experience, much of it managing an independent office and perfectly capable of writing down what time he told me to show up. He was just a major league *******. Third and final flag.

I debated in the days leading up to this whether or not to go, because the whole thing just screamed that it would be something entirely different than what was advertised. But I went, and it turned out to be a cattle call. I sat in a room with a couple dozen people ranging in age from what appeared to be 18 all the way up to post-retirement. We were given a one page application and "questionnaire" to fill out, and the guy who handed it out gave us 15 minutes (timed with a stopwatch) to complete it.

Afterwards he gave a quick presentation on a screen and didn't even bother to turn around and look at his audience. The job(s) he described weren't even remotely close to the posting we had all answered.

We put the apps in a pile, he said he'd call back, and that was it. Luckily I wrote down a bunch of phony info for that bozo and simply refused to answer their calls. :naughty:

I guess my short answer to your question is this: If anything sounds too good to be true, it probably is. And not to slag on "marketing" firms out there, since good ones do exist, it has been my experience that these guys run largely churn and burn outfits that they have to keep as fully staffed as possible to keep up with turnover.

Go with your gut. You've probably been around long enough to know when someone's scamming you. The best part about deciding to go is that you don't have to take it any farther than that if you don't want to.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I went to something similar once. I didn't really feel it was a waste of my time, because it's always good to get practice in interview-like situations. Definitely be skeptical, though.

A thousand times this.

The second they start doing things presentation style instead of doing things on a one on one Q&A style format, it's a scam or at the least not worth your time, flat out tell them "thanks for the offer but this really isn't want I'm interested in long term".

I mean from the get-go it sounds like red flag city but it's not a bad idea to figure things out for yourself there. Just don't sign on for anything beforehand.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Well had a very scary day. As y'all know I had PRK last month, been having some vision issues. Today and yesterday, today it was like a dense fog was around everything. Called the boss, drove in, called the doc and went in. My eye pressure was at 51, normal eye pressure is 10-20. Yikes. Evidently my eyes had started rejecting the steroids. After a couple hours at the doc office it dropped to 30, and they let me come come. Vision still sucks for up close, but should come back around later today.

CanesAvs16

Jun 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Well had a very scary day. As y'all know I had PRK last month, been having some vision issues. Today and yesterday, today it was like a dense fog was around everything. Called the boss, drove in, called the doc and went in. My eye pressure was at 51, normal eye pressure is 10-20. Yikes. Evidently my eyes had started rejecting the steroids. After a couple hours at the doc office it dropped to 30, and they let me come come. Vision still sucks for up close, but should come back around later today.

Damn. Hope everything gets better. Scary situation!

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

Hope everything gets better for you bud.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
We must put the Calgary Media to death.

On aalmost a daily basis, they mock The Anton. :sarcasm:

anton_zpsf888826e.jpg

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
So I've watched over a season of Weeds today (well...the last 12 hours) and also went to class and watched a hockey game during that time. So that's 13 episodes in 8.5 hours. Or ~6 out of a possible 8.5 hours occupied watching the same TV show.

No, I don't have a problem.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
So I've watched over a season of Weeds today (well...the last 12 hours) and also went to class and watched a hockey game during that time. So that's 13 episodes in 8.5 hours. Or ~6 out of a possible 8.5 hours occupied watching the same TV show.

No, I don't have a problem.

You gotta focus your efforts on TV worth watching. Namely, Face//Off and King of the Nerds (though this has taken on a little less lustre since my buddy Virgil got eliminated)

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Purely Cap move after his nice contract he got.

Expect the Panthers to make some noise in FA all the way up to the Draft.

He was a beast though, consistent and knew how to tackle.

How exactly will they make noise in free agency with no cap space? Unless they make more cuts or restructures, they have no space for any moves. As it is, they would probably want to re-sign Dwan Edwards and (shudders) Captain Munnerlyn.

The draft is certainly going to be interesting though. Need a DT, WR, corner, safety, and.....almost everything but QB.

I'm actually upset that Hopkins improved his 40 time at Clemson's pro day. I was hoping he'd slip behind the "sexy pick" in Cordarelle Patterson, and maybe Tavon Austin and a couple others.

If he does slip, seeing the Panthers go Sheldon Richardson in the first, DeAndre Hopkins in the second, and a corner/safety combo in the fourth and fifth round (assuming they aren't reaches), I'd be ecstatic.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Vision is way better today. That was a scary day yesterday. Still need some more healing to get my eyesite back to 20/20 range.

Glad to hear it. Hopefully everything is smooth sailing from here on out. Best of luck to you in getting back to that 20/20. I know I'm still jealous.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Glad to hear it. Hopefully everything is smooth sailing from here on out. Best of luck to you in getting back to that 20/20. I know I'm still jealous.

Thanks! The halos are almost gone, where they was bad before. It's a small chance I would be allergic to the steroid drop, first med that has ever caused that with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad