Pre-Game Talk: Canes at Islanders, ECSF Game 1, Friday, 4/26, 7 p.m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I really hope Aho isn't injured and Mrazek Magic continues.
Go Canes!

Aho couldn't even take faceoffs last night. He's injured but still giving it his all like a champ. His SH goal was the lifeline the Canes needed.

Canes need to sign Mrazek and roll Mrazek-Nedeljkovic next year.

Has there been any word on Ferland at all? I did hear that he skated yesterday with Svech. Is he a goner? I love the guy and we could use him badly against the isles. I hope he comes back.

Seems like the Canes would be best off letting Ferland heal for a couple weeks. He's not worth much to the team coming back at 70% and leaving halfway through the 1st period. Ferland could be a difference maker in later rounds if he rests up and the Canes make it that far.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Aho couldn't even take faceoffs last night. He's injured but still giving it his all like a champ. His SH goal was the lifeline the Canes needed.

Canes need to sign Mrazek and roll Mrazek-Nedeljkovic next year.

Which dummy was it that was interviewing Mrazek on the bench right after the game and asked how he felt playing knowing he wasn't signed? Can't remember if it was Big Rig or Pierre.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
Has there been any word on Ferland at all? I did hear that he skated yesterday with Svech. Is he a goner? I love the guy and we could use him badly against the isles. I hope he comes back.
actually Brind'Amour confirmed before the game last night that Ferland didn't skate with Svechnikov. was a bit cryptic and said he was "probably not playing" and then smirked. so I don't know if that meant just last night, or going forward. it's been a strange situation. stay tuned.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
He didn’t even make the trip to DC yesterday. One of the TSN guys mentioned on twitter that he could be back for game 2 but considering how long his current problem has seemingly been bothering him and forcing him out of games I doubt they chance it.

EDIT: one of the local writers, Luke DeCock, also speculated Ferland could potentially be in the dog house. So who knows what the deal is

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
He didn’t even make the trip to DC yesterday. One of the TSN guys mentioned on twitter that he could be back for game 2 but considering how long his current problem has seemingly been bothering him and forcing him out of games I doubt they chance it.

EDIT: one of the local writers, Luke DeCock, also speculated Ferland could potentially be in the dog house. So who knows what the deal is

He's a really bad "our own rental". I'd rather have someone else's rental.

Interesting to hear that from Luke, you did sort of get that sense as the season moved along.

TheBigLetowski

Jul 31, 2016
I didn't realize he wasn't with the team. On the clip of Waddell celebrating, he hugged a stocky hockey with a clean cut that "looked" like it could've been Ferland. Man...I'd hate to hear he's in the dog house. He really seemed to like playing for the Canes. We could really use him. I know he's been M.I.A, but trusting he can still bring it once he's 100%. We'll see. GO CANES!

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
The silence on Ferland is deafening, and I find it odd that he's staying home for the road games. I personally can't picture myself doing that. If my team is in the playoffs and I'm too hurt to play, I'm still going unless I'm under doctor's orders not to travel. Being hurt doesn't mean I can't be in the room with the guys.

It's one thing to stay home for a one-game road swing in November when you know you're not going to play. It's another thing in April when you're fighting for your playoff lives. That's when you just have to show the boys you're with them, and he isn't.

I do think we've seen the last of him in a Canes sweater.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
He's a really bad "our own rental". I'd rather have someone else's rental.

Interesting to hear that from Luke, you did sort of get that sense as the season moved along.
I’m on my phone in the doc’s office right now, I’ll try and find the N&O article he wrote that in later. But you’re right, don’t know if Ferland said he was good when he wasn’t but injuries certainly derailed that rental agreement

JacquesCousteau

a great caniac
Jun 6, 2018
actually Brind'Amour confirmed before the game last night that Ferland didn't skate with Svechnikov. was a bit cryptic and said he was "probably not playing" and then smirked. so I don't know if that meant just last night, or going forward. it's been a strange situation. stay tuned.

I'm also curious about this. It certainly appears that something is going on, in addition to the injury. Is it unusual that he didn't travel with the team? It seems like under ordinary circumstances guys would still travel with the team even if it just meant showing up in a suit (e.g. Svech). It's really unfortunate, because the version of Ferland we saw in the first half of the season is exactly the type of player that would be helpful against NYI - they are a heavy team.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Which dummy was it that was interviewing Mrazek on the bench right after the game and asked how he felt playing knowing he wasn't signed? Can't remember if it was Big Rig or Pierre.

I was running around the house hopped up on victory and missed the post-game stuff.

Mrazek just won a Game 7 against the defending Cup champs. He's earning his paycheck next year on the most lucrative stage possible. I'd guess he is probably very pleased with himself, as he should be. Mrazek giving the Canes a chance to win every single night is still an alien feeling for me. And the Canes do a great job of making Mrazek's life easier which hopefully for him is a compelling reason to stay.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Either the Canes come out flying tomorrow or exhausted. The 10-year absence made the Capitals series seem much more like a conference final series.

I'm of the opinion that the short turnaround benefits Carolina in Game 1 and NYI the rest of the series. Would've loved a few days off to get Martinook and Svech a little healthier, but we also get to ride the high into Brooklyn against a team that hasn't play a week and a half. Remember teams' records when they came off their bye week against a team that didn't just come off theirs?

As much as it sucks emotionally to turn it right around, Game 1 is huge. Need to come out strong because we will absolutely be the more worn out team as the series moves along.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Yeah, the quick turnaround on the first two games is going to suck, but we get a small break before Game 3, so that'll be nice.

A chance to get healthy before playing in front of the home crowd? Sounds ideal.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
This is definitely correct.

The Canes are 50-24-11 all time against the Islanders. That might be our best record against anyone?

Reactions: DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad