Pre-Game Talk: Canes at Islanders, ECSF Game 1, Friday, 4/26, 7 p.m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Here's a quote from the N&O: PNC brings the noise after 10 years away

Hurricanes forward Micheal Ferland left the game early in the first period, and coach Rod Brind’Amour offered an exceedingly tepid description of his injury afterward.

“He had an upper body thing he said was lingering,” Brind’Amour said. “He said it affected him in Game 1 and then reaggravated it. So he came out.”
"He said was lingering." Not "the docs said." He said.

"So he came out." Not "we sat him." No. "He came out." He pulled himself out of the game.

And I watched that press conference. I saw the facial expression that went with the words. That's a guy who thinks his player is a jake, plain and simple.

In the four games that the Canes won against the Stanley Cup champions, this guy played half of one period, and then pulled himself out.

I'm tired of talking about Micheal Ferland, and more to the point, so is Rod Brind'Amour. Saku is doing his job now, and Brock is, and Kegger is. And they don't quit.

f*** Micheal Ferland.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Here's a quote from the N&O: PNC brings the noise after 10 years away

Hurricanes forward Micheal Ferland left the game early in the first period, and coach Rod Brind’Amour offered an exceedingly tepid description of his injury afterward.

“He had an upper body thing he said was lingering,” Brind’Amour said. “He said it affected him in Game 1 and then reaggravated it. So he came out.”
"He said was lingering." Not "the docs said." He said.

"So he came out." Not "we sat him." No. "He came out." He pulled himself out of the game.

And I watched that press conference. I saw the facial expression that went with the words. That's a guy who thinks his player is a jake, plain and simple.

In the four games that the Canes won against the Stanley Cup champions, this guy played half of one period, and then pulled himself out.

I'm tired of talking about Micheal Ferland, and more to the point, so is Rod Brind'Amour. Saku is doing his job now, and Saku doesn't quit.

**** Micheal Ferland.
Didn't Jordan Staal "come out"? When he tried to come back from the concussion? The same exact way?

Why is this being viewed as cowardice? The guy has plenty of evidence he's a gamer especially in the playoffs.

I agree, let's not talk about him. There's no need.

So I reread it in context and the only way it makes any sense the way youre saying it is by using
Rod's facial expressions because that quote doesn't say anything. The qoute doesn't imply he took himself out even. "So he came out" could easily mean the staff pulled him out? After he said something and they checked him out?

Last edited:
Reactions: SaskCanesFan

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
Just a thought - Surge or no surge, piping in the skullclap music during a home game would be awesome with a packed house all joining in. What time in the game should they do it? Start of a PP? Or PK? During a TV timeout? Make it happen, Caniacs!

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
Forslund mentioned this, and it was curious - what kind of injury would keep you from taking faceoffs but not be an issue for all the other physical aspects of the game? Wrist? Lower back?

This team goes as Aho goes. He's still grinding out points despite being nowhere close to 100% healthy. No way he sits out unless he physically can't play. He did pretty good for game 7 considering he likely has some sort of upper body injury preventing him from taking faceoffs and probably still has his lower body injury too. Kid is a warrior.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Didn't Jordan Staal "come out"? When he tried to come back from the concussion? The same exact way?
Only after getting checked in the head on a dirty hit.

And he came back that same game.

As for Ferland, no one really knows what's going on with him. But he hasn't been the same player he was early in the season. Whether that's due to injury, holding back because of his contract situation, or something else... who really knows?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Only after getting checked in the head on a dirty hit.

And he came back that same game.

As for Ferland, no one really knows what's going on with him. But he hasn't been the same player he was early in the season. Whether that's due to injury, holding back because of his contract situation, or something else... who really knows?
That's not what I'm talking about, though maybe I'm wrong. Staal came back from injury, played a game and then pulled himself out of the lineup for "not feeling right". That's when he missed a bunch of games.

Othwerwise I agree completely. Who knows? Who knows why he came back from injury and wasn't left on the first line where he had already blown it up? There's a lot of unknowns on this guy's back half. All i know is his character prior to being here was top notch, and he showed nothing but that to us on the ice so the off ice speculation/character assassination feels flat out wrong until we know more.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I was disappointed that there are no surge celebrations in the playoffs but I bet there would a mother of all surge celebration if the Canes win the Cup...so here's hoping that they put together an 80 minute (Game of Thrones episode long) surge celebration after they win the cup.

stevewin

Oct 21, 2016
Tripp is connected to the org, and Tripp says he's gone. He's not traveling with the team. Rod never says **** about him unless he's asked. He's literally not even part of this team right now. What do you not see here?
Yeah at some point in the coverage last night I thought they mentioned Ferland "didn't make the trip" which to me is not just injury related. An upper body injury by itself is no reason to not travel to a game 7 to be with the team. Such a strange situation esp when you see the bonding/buy-in from everyone else.

Reactions: Stickpucker

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
Forslund mentioned this, and it was curious - what kind of injury would keep you from taking faceoffs but not be an issue for all the other physical aspects of the game? Wrist? Lower back?
I don't think the injury keeps him for taking faceoffs, just makes him considerably less effective. Last night he took 8 faceoffs and won only 1. I do think it is a new injury though that happened in game 6 (in addition to the one affecting his skating), because over the playoffs hes 48.7% on 78 faceoffs.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I was disappointed that there are no surge celebrations in the playoffs but I bet there would a mother of all surge celebration if the Canes win the Cup...so here's hoping that they put together an 80 minute (Game of Thrones episode long) surge celebration after they win the cup.

I dunno, man, I thought that Handshake Surge was their meanest yet. Shaking their hands and sending them home! In their own building, no less! Highly disrespectful.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Yeah at some point in the coverage last night I thought they mentioned Ferland "didn't make the trip" which to me is not just injury related. An upper body injury by itself is no reason to not travel to a game 7 to be with the team. Such a strange situation esp when you see the bonding/buy-in from everyone else.

Yup. Svech was in his suit, grabbing everyone he could the second they came off the ice.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
For me, it's the combination of everything that doesn't pass the smell test. It's not just that he's staying home from playoff games, it's not just that there are no injury updates, it's not just that Roddy gives lukewarm answers about him, and it's not just that the contract negotiations ended in a stalemate. Any one of those things in a vacuum wouldn't look very strange.

It's when you consider the entirety of it all that something seems amiss. They're not even saying "we hope to have him skating again in x number of days" or "we still think he's a ways away." As vague as they are about the nature of injuries in this league, you still usually at least get an idea of whether you can expect a guy back any time soon. And all we're getting is crickets.

I'm not saying for sure that he's in the dog house or played his way into a one-way ticket out of town. I'm just saying that it's unusual, that I doubt we're getting the full story, and that I wouldn't be surprised if he's done.

Last edited:

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
tumblr_oakt2gsJHe1qel2lbo8_250.gif

Insert whatever injury Ferland has for leg bruise.

Seriously though, I don't know what to think of the injury situation. I was one of the first on the it's okay if we move on from Ferland at a certain price, and that I was tired that he was made of glass. I'll just wait until whatever the story really is rather than speculating either way.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I dunno, man, I thought that Handshake Surge was their meanest yet. Shaking their hands and sending them home! In their own building, no less! Highly disrespectful.
you laugh but apparently Brian Burke was on whining about how happy some of the guys looked in the handshake lines. Apparently, Ovi wasn't upset enough about losing for his liking, and that was somehow disrespecting the game.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
For me, it's the combination of everything that doesn't pass the smell test. It's not just that he's staying home from playoff games, it's not just that there's no injury updates, it's not just that Roddy gives lukewarm answers about him, and it's not just that the contract negotiations ended in a stalemate. Any one of those things in a vacuum wouldn't look very strange.

It's when you consider the entirety of it all that something seems amiss. They're not even saying "we hope to have him skating again in x number of days" or "we still think he's a ways away." As vague as they are about the nature of injuries in this league, you still usually at least get an idea of whether you can expect a guy back any time soon. And all we're getting is crickets.
Not to say what you're saying is completely wrong, but Ferland has been mentioned here and there as skating in the morning. I would also imagine you don't get as much of that info when there haven't been much in the way of practices and morning skates at times throughout the first round.

Reactions: SvechneJerk

Finnish Jerk Train

Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Not to say what you're saying is completely wrong, but Ferland has been mentioned here and there as skating in the morning. I would also imagine you don't get as much of that info when there haven't been much in the way of practices and morning skates at times throughout the first round.
Ah, I missed that. Good to know.

I guess all I'm saying is it'd be nice if someone who knows what's going on would speak plainly about it. But that's hard to find in this league this time of year.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Ah, I missed that. Good to know.

I guess all I'm saying is it'd be nice if someone who knows what's going on would speak plainly about it. But that's hard to find in this league this time of year.
I agree on that completely. I get a little secrecy, but I would love to know what the whole truth is. We may not until it's all over. I do wonder what info Dreger has that makes him think Ferland might be back for game 2.

Reactions: SvechneJerk

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
FWIW, on Monday, Tripp was on The Power Play w/ Steve Kouleas on SiriusXM. During the interview, Tripp explicitly said how Ferland was "a disappointment". At the time, I thought it was a little unusual to come out & say about someone, especially for some of the reasons Bleed spelled out, so I filed it away.

During the pregame & in-game broadcasts Monday night, he used "disappointment" in describing Ferland 2 more times. That in & of itself is a red flag, to me anyway. You couple that with all the talk of Martinook "playing on basically one leg" & his going to Rod Monday afternoon & telling Rod he was "not NOT playing in the game" (or something to that effect), also does not pass the smell test. I REALLY try to not get caught up in hot taeks, but all of that has to give you pause, at least.

But, whatever - the boys are winning & doing so without him. And without Svech too, for that matter, so....

Carry on.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
"I'm not looking for the best players, Don. I'm looking for the right ones."

- RBA when he asked for Skinner to be traded probably

Keep the Miracle references coming! I freaking love them!

I perused the Caps GDT yesterday and during OT one of the posters said this game feels like that final game between the US and Soviets and Caps are the Soviets. Gave me a huge shit-eating grin.

The legs feed the wolf!

Finnish Jerk Train

Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Keep the Miracle references coming! I freaking love them!

I perused the Caps GDT yesterday and during OT one of the posters said this game feels like that final game between the US and Soviets and Caps are the Soviets. Gave me a huge ****-eating grin.

The legs feed the wolf!
Somewhere around these boards, there has to be a conversation that can be accurately compared to a couple of monkeys trying to hump a football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad