Pre-Game Talk: Canes at Islanders, ECSF Game 1, Friday, 4/26, 7 p.m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Given how physically reckless he played all season, why doesn't he get the benefit of the doubt? He’s not prancing about avoiding contact each time he comes back. He’s still throwing the body willy nilly, which is why he keeps getting hurt.
True, and I ended it with a question mark on purpose. It was more a haphazard suggestion of what may or may not be going on than a claim on my part.

It's just that his coming back and getting hurt is kind of potentially costly for all parties. On Canes part they are always a forward short for the rest of the game when Ferland leaves hurt again. If the speculation on Rod's wordings has anything to it, that Ferland leaves the rink too softly when something happens, it may be that both sides are by now pretty much acquiesced to Ferland having played his last game as a Cane. Rod maybe wants full 60 minutes guys.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
So this is a first in franchise history as was the last series, facing an opponent never faced before as not even the Whalers faced the Caps or Isles.

Islanders have all the rest in the world, Canes have all the adrenaline right now.

Just go get it boys.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
So this is a first in franchise history as was the last series, facing an opponent never faced before as not even the Whalers faced the Caps or Isles.

Islanders have all the rest in the world, Canes have all the adrenaline right now.

Just go get it boys.
Actually the Whalers only played 3 different opponents in their playoff history: Boston, Montreal and Quebec (who were the team they beat for their only series victory ever).

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
How drained are the Canes as playoff series begins against Islanders?
By Chip Alexander April 25, 2019 04:58 PM,
“The biggest challenge for us is switching gears,” Brind’Amour said Thursday. “We’ve been going real hard here for a couple of weeks and obviously all that emotion, and then to kind of throw that away and focus on a whole different opponent, a different style, that’ll be the biggest challenge.”
The Islanders disposed of the Pittsburgh Penguins, winning four straight games in the opening round, the last played on April 16.
“I know they’re sitting there probably licking their chops,” Brind’Amour said after Game 7. “I think we all would be the way this series went, seven games, overtime, the grind that this series was, the injuries that were racked up. And they’ve been sitting there for what, 10 days or however long.”
."They’re patient,” Brind’Amour said. “Their defending is the priority. Obviously some high-end talent but what I appreciate in watching them all year is they’re patient to play that defensive game and when you crack is when they go. They score a ton of goals off the rush because they have the talent. I think that’s an underrated aspect of that team.”
Not that the Canes plan to make a lot of changes, McGinn said. “We’ve just got to continue to play our style of game,” he said.
“We’ve got to be a forechecking team and work them and just keep playing our style.”
How drained are the Canes as playoff series begins against Islanders?

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Forslund mentioned this, and it was curious - what kind of injury would keep you from taking faceoffs but not be an issue for all the other physical aspects of the game? Wrist? Lower back?
FWIW, Jets seem to have a similar issue with Mathieu Perreault. He doesn't want to play center any more for some long-term injury that makes crouching for faceoffs painful. No apparent effect on the rest of his game, he's a fine winger. Not sure if it's been disclosed what the injury is, I haven't watched that closely.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
That's not what I'm talking about, though maybe I'm wrong. Staal came back from injury, played a game and then pulled himself out of the lineup for "not feeling right". That's when he missed a bunch of games.

Othwerwise I agree completely. Who knows? Who knows why he came back from injury and wasn't left on the first line where he had already blown it up? There's a lot of unknowns on this guy's back half. All i know is his character prior to being here was top notch, and he showed nothing but that to us on the ice so the off ice speculation/character assassination feels flat out wrong until we know more.
I have no opinion on the Ferland issue, just wanted to say "character assassination" seems like a bit too strong. My understanding is that it involves deliberately fabricating lies about someone. Speculation is what's been going on here -- it's been based on what Ferland's really done and not done, and RBA's actual comments and (interpreted) gestures. The occasional "f' him" isn't really character assassination either, no content invented, just frustration expressed...

Reactions: Unsustainable

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Does Curtis get the nod in game 1 to let Mrazek rest a little?
Related to the issue of pronouncing Maenalanen, it's eerie how McElhinney sounds exactly like Makelainen, a not uncommon name over here. I've actually couple times initially thought they called up some unknown Finnish goalie, then realized I'm just hearing funny or not reading right.

Last edited:

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
E6atqnKz_bigger.jpg
Meg‏ @loveandhydrogen 13h13 hours ago

The “realistic” bracket.
pic.twitter.com/chq6Sk9rtg
D5ADy1ZW4AEnNPZ.jpg

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
Twins. We’re Arnold. They’re Danny

lol. how in the WORLD did I not think of that one ahahah.

upload_2019-4-25_22-18-22.jpeg

eta: at the very least this could work for the Ahos lol

Its the best movie

US beat the Soviets 4 to 3 in a come back win.

Then moved on to take the Gold.

Okay, I can run with this. good work CFBM. I may have to make another "math"ematical prophecy thread lol.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I have no opinion on the Ferland issue, just wanted to say "character assassination" seems like a bit too strong. My understanding is that it involves deliberately fabricating lies about someone. Speculation is what's been going on here -- it's been based on what Ferland's really done and not done, and RBA's actual comments and (interpreted) gestures. The occasional "f' him" isn't really character assassination either, no content invented, just frustration expressed...
People have said he’s intentionally sitting out due to contract issues, said that he’s intentionally sitting out through injuries that others would play through, that he doesn’t care about his teammates, that he doesn’t want to play for us, that he crossed some unknown line in the sand with Rod and have generally questioned his character on and off for awhile. It hasn’t been the occasional eff him. I don’t really mind the eff him ones. This isn’t a new conversation, just a new wrinkle in it.

I’m not trying to carry it on either. Ive said my piece.

Last edited:
Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Serious Question: Do we have an update on Svech?

Silly Question: What's our "theme' for this series? Against the caps we had Rocky 4 / Hearts on Fire and Avengers: Endgame.

This series with all the whacky similarities, I'm thinking something "clone/twin/ identity theft" related. (e.g. Attack of the Clones, Face/Off, The Island (never seen it but ok), Spiderman 3 was horrible but had that whole symbiote thing).

c53ddf39-36ae-418d-9c3a-6ccd83160c3c_1.bc62fe4262e0ef2ca67e86afae7a2cee.jpeg

These are the questions that keep me up at night lol.

What about that movie where the husband and wife were both spies and didn't know it and tried to kill each other?

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I just realized that the Canes need to face an opponent even more difficult than OV.

****ing Thomas Greiss.

I predict Greiss lets in 0 goals this series.

If Trotz had any gonads at all, the Hurricanes would see Greiss every game....we'd be quaking in our boots/skates.

Whatever Aho is dealing with, he's likely stuck dealing with it. If it's not harm long term, he should stay in. In spite of his limitations, I thought he looked a little better in his skating last night than he has been. That could just have been effort and adrenaline for a game 7 though.

My money is on wrist, also explains why his shot has been a bit off -- but yes, could be any of those things.

For about the last 6 or 7 weeks, I've noticed that Aho seemingly is either having trouble elevating his shots or just not doing it. Add in the recent faceoff information and I'm thinking in addition to the knee he's been battling a shoulder and/or wrist issue.

Over the course of the last 2 games, it appears that Aho is getting incremental mobility and speed back, so I think the knee might be slowly getting back to normal...but what do I know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad