Confirmed with Link: Canadiens sign Daniel Briere for 2YR/8M (w/NMC) - Part II: Butthurt welcomed

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
A lot of people don't read the posts that they are quoting... Blindly typing a absolute opinion is much easier.

Which is what is wrong with this board. A lot of people blindly fit in their own agenda into anything or just fail to have concrete arguments.

Not very often do you see a thread with a healthy discussion building off of quoted posts. We often see 'No, im right" "no, you're wrong" type of discussions. Half of the reason I stopped caring about this place. I'm here for draft and free agency because well, fastest way to get info.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
This deal doesn't stopgap anything... we have ZERO need for what a 36 year old, declining Briere brings to this team.

I keep telling you people, Briere is only 36 years old on paper. Developmentally his peach fuzz is just starting to transition into actual facial hair.

jayze25*

Someone needs to explain that stopgap thing to me.

We were 2nd in the east, and already have plenty of centre/small players already.

How briere is supposed to 'buy some time for the rookies'?

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Its what i keep telling myself...if there is no DD, ..im actually THRILLED with the signing

but as it stands, both 5"6-5"7 players DD and gionta are still on this team...

I'd go as far as saying swapping out Desharnais and Gionta - who aren't just small but among the smallest to ever play the game in this generation - would automatically solve the Habs size issues even with Gallagher/Briere in the top 6.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

We were 2nd in the east, and already have plenty of centre/small players already.

Perhaps with the 4 million we wasted on him

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I'd go as far as saying swapping out Desharnais and Gionta - who aren't just small but among the smallest to ever play the game in this generation - would automatically solve the Habs size issues even with Gallagher/Briere in the top 6.

As long as you replace them with quality players. Removing them to remove them won't help us. Removing them to fit in an upgrade or a need, then it's hard to dispute the move.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007

I see it as short-term offensive depth that became available. Not part of the plan, but they saw he was available and willing to take 2 years. He has been a talented player. Had a bad year last year with injuries. He has a stellar playoff record. He is small, but maybe they just figured it might be worth giving him a shot. With 2 years he is not really handicapping the development of this team.

Last edited:

PanicAttack

Apr 18, 2012
There is always room for improvement.

Our team finished 2nd last year... with a bit of luck. Emelin got hurt; Ryder's streak ended; Price let a couple pucks through. A couple too much... and wining suddently got harder.

In the playoffs, let's face, Price didn't cover. Our team got intimitated. Distracted, when Eller got hurt... We were toasted, after 6 games.

Three problems :

1- Ryder needs to be replaced
2- Price needs to get better
3- Emelin can't be out only tough player

1- Ryder had his weakness; soft, an average PP player, no character, and a mediocre playoff guy.

Briere can replace Ryder. He won't put in as much goals, but he will mentor Gally and Gallchy to cover that. The same way he did with Giroux and Couturier. Lately, he wasn't on the first PP unit in PHI, which partly explains why his production went down. But he's a very good PP player. He can help our team with that. He his a fighter, a character guy. Briere is notable playoff leader. He's got one the best PPG average of every active players in the playoffs.

Now, before trashing Bergevin:

2- Our GM has conviced one of the best goalie coach in the world to help Carey in his game. He has convinced Stephane Waite to leave the team he has won 2 Stanley cups with, leave Crawford whom he's been working with since the kid was 15yrs old. He's been convincing enough to bring this guy over to help our #1 Goalie to step up his game. Stephane Waite will be with us for at least three seasons.

3- The market is opening soon, i'm sure the 3rd problem will be covered soon.

Sure Brière isn't a 6.4 230lbs, 80 point scorer, but he is not here to fill that role. Our team is not florida or calgary, or even buffalo. We have a good team, a talented team. Doesn't mean there is no room for improvment...

As fan, I'm not really excited about the Brière hire. But before he steps on the ice in October, I will have the decency to cheer for him, and welcome him in my team.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I think we should rename this thread.

We have a "Gauthier in hindsight".

Can we name this "Bergevin in foresight"?

Jokes aside, give it a chance. It's risky and doesn't solve our needs but cap going down, tougher market right now. We need to give it a chance. Hopefully Bergevin isn't satisfied because we have issues to address. Tougher D, more size on the wings. A strong pure shutdown center is an option too! Many areas for improvement. I hope he addresses them.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
like Price would say "Chillax" we're in the offseason still,who says MB doesnt make trades or sign bigger players.Danny Briere is still a good player and i would take him over Ryder anyday of the week.Hes maybe not has good as he use to be but who says he doesnt bounce back with the habs.Yall judge everything way too quickly

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The move in and of itself is not a big deal I agree. It's the implication behind it that are. We basically lowballed Subban to sign this guy. That's the benefit we reap out of it ultimately.

We basically discarded Cole and Ryder, and ended up picking a washed up 36 year old diminutive center who brings more of the same as we had.

The problem is that we aren't moving forward. At best we're moving laterally. And you have to wonder what exactly Briere has left in the tank.

I was told to wait and see what MB would do with the cap room he saved with the Subban hold out. I'm extremely disappointed with the results.

Now I'm told to wait and see because we have 5 of the same player in our top 9 and it can't stay like that. Ok, I'll wait and see what is MB's next move, and I've been backing him up until now, but I'm rapidly getting more and more worried that he's in over his head.

Plus, it bears repeating, I hate Briere. I have always hated him. Getting him now at 36 when he's washed up... argh...This makes this so much worse.

I'm with you on the PK lowball, I was very vocal about it. It was seriously dumb.

But why I really think it's stupid isn't because I expected Bergevin to use that free space and get us those missing links to win the cup. We're just not there.
Bergevin was clear on rebuilding through drafts and kids, and our kids aren't just ready yet, it'll take a couple of years. That's why it made absolutely no sense to not sign PK to a cheap long term deal because you don't want him earning 6-7-8M when the rest of the kids are coming along.

This Briere deal means very little. I can understand some being disappointed that we are getting yet another small player, but the huge uproar it has gotten is ridiculous.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
I'm with you on the PK lowball, I was very vocal about it. It was seriously dumb.

To be fair though, I think it was understandable. I bet a lot of GMs would have done the same thing. Bergevin was a new GM, PK is a young player. In hindsight, though it looks bad. Especially with the Norris.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
As long as you replace them with quality players. Removing them to remove them won't help us. Removing them to fit in an upgrade or a need, then it's hard to dispute the move.

Someone will need to explain to me what we can expect from trading DD/Gionta? Gionta's production has dropped and he has had two surgeries in the last two years while DD had a down year - not sure why we would expect much in return. Having said that I consider Gionta and DD > Briere at this point in his career but they likely have more value as Habs than what other teams would be willing to give for them.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Someone will need to explain to me what we can expect from trading DD/Gionta? Gionta's production has dropped and he has had two surgeries in the last two years while DD had a down year - not sure why we would expect much in return. Having said that I consider Gionta and DD > Briere at this point in his career but they likely have more value as Habs than what other teams would be willing to give for them.

I don't disagree. I just meant people are so quick to rush them out the door with no legit plan in mind. Unless overpaying for Clarkson in price and term and getting rejected in the end is a plan? Even then, he's 6'0. Tough but not massive.

End of the day, Bergevin feels core comes from within. I agree to an extent but until we find someone who is better than those 2 and attainable at right price, we're wasting our time arguing it.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
Someone will need to explain to me what we can expect from trading DD/Gionta? Gionta's production has dropped and he has had two surgeries in the last two years while DD had a down year - not sure why we would expect much in return.

In Gionta's case what we could expect is more than what we get if let him become a free agent. He got 14 goals this year. He scored 8 in 30 some games played the year before.

ashtraygirl

Nov 22, 2008
Montreal
3- The market is opening soon, i'm sure the 3rd problem will be covered soon.

Sure Brière isn't a 6.4 230lbs, 80 point scorer, but he is not here to fill that role. Our team is not florida or calgary, or even buffalo. We have a good team, a talented team. Doesn't mean there is no room for improvment...

As fan, I'm not really excited about the Brière hire. But before he steps on the ice in October, I will have the decency to cheer for him, and welcome him in my team.

I agree very much with your assessment. Hopefully Waite will help Price turn his game around. I'm all for waiting till Briere hits the ice for us to praise or trash him, but I've always hated that face of his!

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
I see it as short-term offensive depth that became available. Not part of the plan, but they saw he was available and willing to take 2 years. He has been a talented player. Had a bad year last year with injuries. He has a stellar playoff record. He is small, but maybe they just figured it might be worth giving him a shot. With 2 years he is not really handicapping the development of this team.

I doubt Briere has much offense left in the tank at this point in his career.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

But why I really think it's stupid isn't because I expected Bergevin to use that free space and get us those missing links to win the cup. We're just not there.
Bergevin was clear on rebuilding through drafts and kids, and our kids aren't just ready yet, it'll take a couple of years. That's why it made absolutely no sense to not sign PK to a cheap long term deal because you don't want him earning 6-7-8M when the rest of the kids are coming along.

This Briere deal means very little. I can understand some being disappointed that we are getting yet another small player, but the huge uproar it has gotten is ridiculous.

Oh I agree. The Briere deal means very little.

For me, it's not the move itself that is concerning. It's everything around it. The lack of vision, the choices that are being made. Everything that has lead up to this point. It is not comforting.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
To be fair though, I think it was understandable. I bet a lot of GMs would have done the same thing. Bergevin was a new GM, PK is a young player. In hindsight, though it looks bad. Especially with the Norris.

It didn't make any sense. Not to play hardball like that. PK was as sure a prospect can be not named Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin. It wasn't understandable, not after what he had already accomplished.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Brière is a midget. But should do waaaaaay better in the playoffs than midget Desharnais and midget Gionta. The only better midget is midget Gallagher.

Hope Bergevin is not done with his transactions.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
The move in and of itself is not a big deal I agree. It's the implication behind it that are. We basically lowballed Subban to sign this guy. That's the benefit we reap out of it ultimately.

We basically discarded Cole and Ryder, and ended up picking a washed up 36 year old diminutive center who brings more of the same as we had.

The problem is that we aren't moving forward. At best we're moving laterally. And you have to wonder what exactly Briere has left in the tank.

I was told to wait and see what MB would do with the cap room he saved with the Subban hold out. I'm extremely disappointed with the results.

Now I'm told to wait and see because we have 5 of the same player in our top 9 and it can't stay like that. Ok, I'll wait and see what is MB's next move, and I've been backing him up until now, but I'm rapidly getting more and more worried that he's in over his head.

Plus, it bears repeating, I hate Briere. I have always hated him. Getting him now at 36 when he's washed up... argh...This makes this so much worse.

Couldnt agree more.

I was a vocal poster regarding the Subban contract and I said that Bergevin would use the money he saved to improve the team.

Fast forward to today and Bergevin used that money on a declining bought out forward.

What a waste of money.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
I doubt Briere has much offense left in the tank at this point in his career.

There is certainly some risk involved there. But last year he had a bad season with some injuries. And he did quite well in the playoffs, the season before that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad