Confirmed with Link: Canadiens sign Daniel Briere for 2YR/8M (w/NMC) - Part II: Butthurt welcomed

FlavorFlav

Feb 26, 2003
Visit site
Desperation move. What a farce. We pay $8m for a broken down smurf.

Pathetic compensation for not landing Lecavalier (which itself was questionable).

Say your prayers for Prust next year, that boy will have his hands full.

Ottawa, Toronto, Boston, hell, everyone in the East (save Detroit) will manhandle this poor, pathetic STILL ****ING SOFT team in the worst possible way.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I personally have no problems with this signing what so ever. Brière is a quality player that shows up when it matters. He makes the team better and that's the bottom line. I suspect he'll play RW, so he's basically replacing Ryder... That's quite an upgrade if you ask me.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

Pathetic compensation for not landing Lecavalier (which itself was questionable).

Ottawa, Toronto, Boston, hell, everyone in the East (save Detroit) will manhandle this poor, pathetic STILL ****ING SOFT team in the worst possible way.

No, Detroit is run by a very smart GM. They will soon enter the arms race and muscle up to match the Sens, Leafs and Bruins.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
There is certainly some risk involved there. But last year he had a bad season with some injuries. And he did quite well in the playoffs, the season before that.

If we make the playoffs (starting to seriously doubt we will), he will be two years removed from his last playoff run and 36 years old - really doubt he provides the same playoff production as in years past.

Anyways, its a done deal so I will have to live with it but I'm seriously starting to question Bergevin's tenure as GM.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary

He will certainly earn his paycheque, who else will fight?

We should have just kept Ryder if we are a team of tiny pansies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It's called setting an organisational standard. It's very sound management.

What's standard is that?? That every single player will need to go through a bridge deal?
That's dumb because not every player is in the same position. Just like it's stupid to have a ''no negotiations during season'' standard. You can't expect every player to just wait and sign whenever you want, especially not if you're organization has been mediocre for 15-20years.
The bridge deal is dumb, PK had already proven to be one of the best young Dman in the NHL. There was no need for him to get a bridge deal who's usually for unproven players. None.
You also need to have vision, when you're gonna want to build a contender in a few years, you're better off saving a couple millions wherever you can, and signing PK to a cheap long term deal would have provided that.
If we believe PK would have signed to 4.5M then we're talking about possibly a 3-4M difference.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I'm just longing for the day when the CH no longer stands for Club De Homunculi. We can't hang with Boston, Toronto (who are already bigger and the delta is likely to grow) or even freaking Ottawa.

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
I personally have no problems with this signing what so ever. Brière is a quality player that shows up when it matters. He makes the team better and that's the bottom line. I suspect he'll play RW, so he's basically replacing Ryder...That's quite an upgrade if you ask me.

Maybe 5 years ago. Not any more.

If we wanted an aging star, Iginla was the one to choose.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
What's standard is that?? That every single player will need to go through a bridge deal?
That's dumb because not every player is in the same position. Just like it's stupid to have a ''no negotiations during season'' standard. You can't expect every player to just wait and sign whenever you want, especially not if you're organization has been mediocre for 15-20years.
The bridge deal is dumb, PK had already proven to be one of the best young Dman in the NHL. There was no need for him to get a bridge deal who's usually for unproven players. None.
You also need to have vision, when you're gonna want to build a contender in a few years, you're better off saving a couple millions wherever you can, and signing PK to a cheap long term deal would have provided that.
If we believe PK would have signed to 4.5M then we're talking about possibly a 3-4M difference.

No it's not dumb. It's very sound.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
A lot of emotion on this board right now. Guys that I usually read as being calm are lit up like a damn Christmas tree. Makes for some interesting reading while I'm trying to take a load off in the bathroom right now, but people need to relax. Other moves will probably occur in the next weeks.

You don't know that. This we do know- we are maxed out cap wise and we have two smurfs in DD and Gio who I don't think anyone wants.

This is our team bro - Smurfsville!

canadiancreed

Exiled from paradise
Nov 10, 2010
Canadas Black Hole
I'm just longing for the day when the CH no longer stands for Club De Homunculi. We can't hang with Boston, Toronto (who are already bigger and the delta is likely to grow) or even freaking Ottawa.

At least there's Buffalo.....for now...

Nah, he will probbaly say what an honour it would be to play in Montreal. But then go sign in Boston.

Or Toronto.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
MB really doesn't care what we think. I feel sorry for 190 pound Prust taking all those beatings from guys 40 pounds heavier while he tries to protect our 8 smurfs.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
I personally have no problems with this signing what so ever. Brière is a quality player that shows up when it matters. He makes the team better and that's the bottom line. I suspect he'll play RW, so he's basically replacing Ryder... That's quite an upgrade if you ask me.
Ryder was 16G, 35PTS, DB was 6 G, 16 PTS last year. Neither guy brings very much else other than offense. Briere is older and carries an injury risk that Ryder does not. And, according to the Philly folks kind enough to drop in, DB has been far less productive as a winger than as a centre.

I think 'lateral move' would be generous. 'Upgrade,' I just don't see it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: