Confirmed with Link: Canadiens sign Daniel Briere for 2YR/8M (w/NMC) - Part II: Butthurt welcomed

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Just like we needed to chill after the gomez trade. :handclap: Do you ever take a position on anything? Or is always wait and see. This deal makes no sense at all. It's not the end of the world, because it's only two years, but it does nothing to make the habs better.

Briere isn't signed for 7 years at 7M+, nor did we give up assets to obtain him. So no, not at all the same situation, and ya, chill the fak out. Or you know, do what you do best and go full teenage high school girl drama style.
Briere is old, and declining, but he fits a need as a right wing depth player. He's signed for two years at 4M and then he'll be gone, big whoop. Is he taking the spot of some youngster that was ready to come in?? Nope. I disagree on it not making us better, he won't be detrimental to our club, I don't believe that. On a 3rd wing with strong puck guys like Eller and Gally, I think he can fit right in.

So what are we crying about here?..I expect our team to be competitive in 2years, not before then. Precisely why I wanted PK signed to cheap long term deal asap.
Guys like MaxPac, Eller, PK, Galla, Gally, Emelin will enter their good stages of maturity. We'll have younger guys like Tinordi, Beaulieu, Collberg coming along.
We're not going to win now, or next year. So ya, I won't start screaming at my cpu screen that we sign Danny freaking Briere for two years.

Not to mention, maybe more things will unfold before the season starts.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I am going to build from within and I am not in favor of using UFA to get some older washed up player to make additions to the team (or something like that)

Marc Bergevin

Sorry Habs fans, I was just joking around when I made that statement. Love, Marc.

JPGoHabsGo

May 30, 2013
Gaston Therrien loves it. Says 2 years is perfect. And he also says that he's small but he plays big....okay enough....:sarcasm:

Yeah yeah yeah -.-

Im kind of curious as to what would happen if one of these franco superstarts said how much they love playing for Randy Cunneyworth. And see what the media says then

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
DD does not play big.
Yeah, you're right. I guess I imagined all those times he goes and stands in front of the net, taking abuse to screen the goalie.

Although I admit, he did a lot less of that this year and I think that was a big part of why he wasn't as successful.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Remember when trading for Kaberle was this monumental disaster?

Say it with me "I trust in Bergevin" LMAO

Briere didn't even put on the habs jersey yet but you're right, this may be a major fail. Big risk with Briere's injuries lately. Not to mention, 4 mil with this risk? Why?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Two years ago Leblanc scored about as much (during the regular season) per 60 minutes than Briere has in the last two years, and this was on a horrible team.

We'd be better giving Leblanc a shot, since he can't be any worse defensively.

Well I rather Leblanc builds his confidence having a strong start in the AHL and then come up here whenever we have injuries. No need to rush our kids.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with depth.

JHabs61

Jan 9, 2011
I like the signing. I'm not sure about the NMC, but 2 years isn't a big deal to me

Hes a good leader off ice. We also have less cap room to overpay someone who isn't worth it.

Its risky, but I think/hope Briere will flourish in a big market. Even if hes not a top6, a top9 depth guy with skill never hurts. We could have Moen or White playing top9.

The n00b King

Kingin' since 2003
Feb 10, 2008
Singapore
I officially hate pretty much all of you. You have the ability to make reading this board sometimes fun, but mostly just ******.

I can't believe the over reactions I've been reading.

Same **** every year, just a different color.

What happened to y'all? You used to be fun...:p:

JPGoHabsGo

May 30, 2013
Bring back Craig Rivet to fix the defense imo.

Hell just bring back the whole band of Big players for the Canadiens.

Shayne Corson
Lyle Odelin
John leClair
Ryan O'Byrne
Jean Beliveau
Larry Robinson

call it a day and you have a stanley cup my friend.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Yeah, you're right. I guess I imagined all those times he goes and stands in front of the net, taking abuse to screen the goalie.

Although I admit, he did a lot less of that this year and I think that was a big part of why he wasn't as successful.

I never understood why Koivu and now DD stay in front of the net while our bigger guys play perimeter. It's kind of embarrassing. DD isn't good at it, but he's there, *****?

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
This is like a consolation prize for not getting Lecavalier but....meh.

As many have said before this only make sense if DD and or Gionta get replaced by bigger and more physical guys. Otherwise the Habs are still gonna get pushed around again this year.

I'm neutral on this for now so let's hope MB has another trick up his sleeve

Considering that I haven't found his tricks very good I'm kind of worried he does have more tricks up his sleeve.

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009
The Habs were "pushed around" to 2nd place in the East last year and just got better + adding a proven playoff performer.

The Habs will be a very good regular season team, but will have to add a few pieces if they want to go deeper in the series.

Finally some sanity. Agree on all counts.

WeeBey

Aug 7, 2009
montreal
I officially hate pretty much all of you. You have the ability to make reading this board sometimes fun, but mostly just ******.

I, for one, find it all quite amusing.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

End of the day, people need to understand if not briere it's nothing at all. So anything helps if used right. People need to chill. Listing the risks and concerns is one thing, crying over something that we haven't even seen yet is too much though.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Kaberle's contract was worse.

His contract was over this year and Briere is exactly what we don't need. Pacioretty and Plekanec must be on suicide watch.

I was hoping Bergevin would bring some intelligence to the club but it seems he is about as brain dead as it gets.

JPGoHabsGo

May 30, 2013
Marc Bergevin ‏@MarcFBergevin 5h

PS I've been drinking with Francois Gagnon ALLLL DAYYYYYYYY

This explains everything:sarcasm:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This still isn't as bad as the DD extension. I mean, the DD extension is, by proxy, the whole reason we're pissed about this.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
So this was what the lowballing of Subban lead to after all ? I was told to wait until this summer and see what Bergevin would do with the cap room. Well Briere is what he did apparently. Sick move. :sarcasm:

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
His contract was over this year and Briere is exactly what we don't need. Pacioretty and Plekanec must be on suicide watch.

Kaberle's contract was still worse. It was three years for us (buying out the third), lesser player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad