NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread – THANK YOU, HELLO PHASE TWENTY-SEVEN!

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Everyone knows that the best villains are the villains that don’t think they’re the bad guy.
With that said, our choice for team villain comes from this tv show
IMG_3969.jpeg

Daniel Briere

@Rebels57 how long until this gets shot down?

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Everyone knows that the best villains are the villains that don’t think they’re the bad guy.
With that said, our choice for team villain comes from this tv show
View attachment 871779

Daniel Briere

@Rebels57 how long until this gets shot down?

No, get f***ed.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Well, this went nowhere lol.

KQWKIuG.jpg

We start the day with @Rebels57 on the clock, Bernie on deck, my bruv on the lido deck, and Bigglesworth on the lido afterdeck. @JojoTheWhale and @Lord Defect can make up their picks when they are ready.

I finally watched "The Iron Claw" last night. I was a little disappointed - I can't really say why, except that it wasn't great as a film. But the story of the Von Erichs is so crazy that you can't help being engaged. The other wrestlers, like the Freebirds, were glossed over a little too lightly, but it did give you some sense of what it was like backstage. The really gut-punchingly wicked part was when Michael dropped the needle on "Tom Sawyer" and Kerry - working out in the garage next door - turned his head at the sound, right before the Von Erichs entered the ring for the first time as a trio. F***ing awesome.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL

KQWKIuG.jpg

We start the day with @Rebels57 on the clock, Bernie on deck, my bruv on the lido deck, and Bigglesworth on the lido afterdeck. @JojoTheWhale and @Lord Defect can make up their picks when they are ready.

I finally watched "The Iron Claw" last night. I was a little disappointed - I can't really say why, except that it wasn't great as a film. But the story of the Von Erichs is so crazy that you can't help being engaged. The other wrestlers, like the Freebirds, were glossed over a little too lightly, but it did give you some sense of what it was like backstage. The really gut-punchingly wicked part was when Michael dropped the needle on "Tom Sawyer" and Kerry - working out in the garage next door - turned his head at the sound, right before the Von Erichs entered the ring for the first time as a trio. F***ing awesome.
Yeah, The Iron Claw glossed over a lot of things, but I still liked it. It’s more like the Kevin Von Erich story rather than the story of the family. However, since he’s been the only Von Erich left since the 90s, I can see why.

When it came to pro wrestling, David was the total package. He had both the in ring skills and the charisma necessary to be a huge star. If he had lived, my guess is he would have been a multi time NWA champ in the 80s and a WWF champ in the post Hogan early/mid 90s era. The whole story of that family though is sad as hell.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
FOG Team Concert Venue : KEXP Studios In Seattle

This might be stretching the definition of a "concert venue," but these are live performances with a smaller number of spectators, so I think it should qualify.

KEXP Studios in Seattle has the best sound engineering I have ever heard for live music meant to be watched on TV (via Youtube in this case).

Pretty much every performance, regardless of genre, is worth watching. It definitely leans more towards the various genres of Rock though, from alternative to indie to psych, etc...which I am obviously okay with.

A few of my favorite performances from recent years

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

KQWKIuG.jpg

You are my brother! HCette and I watched it last night too.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
FOG Team Concert Venue : KEXP Studios In Seattle

This might be stretching the definition of a "concert venue," but these are live performances with a smaller number of spectators, so I think it should qualify.

KEXP Studios in Seattle has the best sound engineering I have ever heard for live music meant to be watched on TV (via Youtube in this case).

Pretty much every performance, regardless of genre, is worth watching. It definitely leans more towards the various genres of Rock though, from alternative to indie to psych, etc...which I am obviously okay with.

A few of my favorite performances from recent years

I don't know how they get that immaculate sound, or how it comes across so immaculately on Youtube, but they rule hard.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
"For our Team War Movie, the Halifax Galleons are pleased to select Hacksaw Ridge.

Hacksaw Ridge tells the story of Desmond T. Doss, the medic and conscientious objector who, after the Battle of Okinawa, was awarded the Medal of Honor for his incredible bravery and regard for his fellow soldiers. Following his upbringing and how this shaped his views (especially his religious view and anti-killing stance), Doss's trials and tribulations after enlisting in the US Army (trying to become a medic) begin, preluding the hell on Earth that was Hacksaw Ridge.

"Desmond Doss was drafted into the United States army in April 1942. He could have gotten a deferment because he worked as a ship joiner at a shipyard in Newport News, Virginia, but he wanted to serve his country. During March 1944, he shipped out along with the rest of the 77th Division (the Statue of Liberty Division) for the Pacific Theater, first to Guam, then to Leyte in the Philippines, and finally to partake in the allied invasion of Okinawa, an island 340 miles south of mainland Japan (only the latter is chronicled in the movie). "I felt like it was an honor to serve God and country," Desmond said. "We were fightin' for our religious liberty and freedom."

"Desmond refused to carry a weapon because of his personal and religious beliefs as a Seventh-day Adventist, which is part of the Protestant sect of Christianity. "My dad bought this Ten Commandments and Lord's Prayer illustrated on a nice frame, and I had looked at that picture of the Sixth Commandment, 'Thou shalt not kill.' There's a picture that had Cain and he killed his brother Abel, and I wonder how in the world could a brother do such a thing? I've pictured Christ for savin' life, I wanna be like Christ go savin' life instead of takin' life and that's the reason I take up medicine."

"Desmond's life wasn't easy after the war. His wounds left him 90% disabled. He spent five and a half years in and out of VA hospitals and was discharged in August 1951. He had lost 5 ribs and one lung due to tuberculosis contracted on the island of Leyte in the Philippines and made worse on Okinawa. The military continued to treat him with antibiotics, which he believed by 1976 had made him completely deaf (possibly from giving him too high of a dose). He lived in silence for twelve and a half years, until he received a cochlear implant in 1988.

"After WWII, Desmond received a modest pension from the military, but due to his disabilities from his injuries, his wife Dorothy got her nursing degree and had to work full-time to help with their income (in the movie she is already a nurse when they meet). He cashed in his Government life insurance policy to buy four acres in Rising Fawn, Georgia, using much of the money to fix up the property. He, his wife Dorothy, and their son Desmond Jr. (who they called "Tommy" after his middle name) resided in a small log cabin that he built on the land. They grew their own fruits and vegetables to help sustain themselves and eventually farmed the land. Desmond's wife Dorothy developed breast cancer and passed away from injuries sustained in a car accident while Desmond was driving her to a hospital in November 1991. He married Frances Duman in 1993. They were together until his death in 2006."

And now to @Hollywood Couturier.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
IMG_8170.gif

You know Jacksonville, WOOO, to be the man, you gotta beat the man! And let me tell you, brother, Ric Flair, is, THE MAN!
IMG_8169.gif

Now, if we’re gonna talk about card games, well ladies, the Nature Boy knows a little something about games, WOOOOOOOOO!
IMG_8171.gif

So the only game that will do for Ric Flair and the 4 Horsemen ladies is, WOOO, STRIP POKER!!

@Captain Dave Poulin , are you ready to roll with the Horsemen and the Nature Boy?

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
@mja "Space Age Love Song" is literally my second-favorite song of all time. Literally.

0hdtRCC.gif

We start the day with @Beef Invictus on the clock, @Young Sandwich on deck with two dirty picks to make, then back to Biff, then me, then Bigglesworth.

Well, this is literally the first day of the rest of our lives. Congratulations?
I know, that's why I posted it in this thread! She's played it a few dozen times since yesterday afternoon, and it inspired her to do a deep dive on semi-forgotten 80s favorites.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't know who to thank!

I pick

SEIKO 5

1716221464902.png

The venerable and indestructible, winded-by-your-motion Seiko 5. The mutated cockroaches will be using AK-47s and timing their operations with Seiko 5s after the nuclear war. I have one. The Child loved it and likes to steal it from me. New Child loves it, and hopes to consume it. It gains five minutes per month, which isn't even worth tampering with to slow down.

WHoever is next!

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Fellas, you should have seen the apple caddis hatch on the West Branch yesterday. From 10AM to 8PM it was a veritable blizzard of little green bugs with tan wings and the fish decided to actually play ball. It was a day for the books. Unfortunately, that day for the books made me late to work this morning so I have to make these picks quick.

My family enjoys a multitude of card games, but the recent flavor has been this one. It's easy and fun, so we play it.

IMG_0756-1024x683.jpg

Team Card Game - Cover Your Assets

Everyone knows that citrus is the best scent when it comes to oils and candles. Anyone who says otherwise is just flat out wrong, so don't listen to them. There are many citrus scents to choose from, but the very best of them all is a little fruit from Japan.

8AD954329E5A90F.webp

Team Candle/Essential Oil - Yuzu

@Beef Invictus you didn't tag me after your last post and to be honest it kind of got under my skin a little bit so I thought maybe I'd get my revenge by not tagging you on the way back around but then I remembered how I felt and didn't want to make you feel the same way so in the end I decided to write this run on sentence instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad