Confirmed with Link: Canadiens sign Daniel Briere for 2YR/8M (w/NMC) - Part II: Butthurt welcomed

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
That is the description of Gallagher's style, not DD.
You must watch very few games if you think that's true.

And Gallagher doesn't try to screen the goalie. Gallagher tries to make the goalie his ***** by driving the net as hard as he can.

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
I'm a bit confused by this signing and the Thomas move... not because the players are bad, but because we already have players (or multiple)in those roles. It will make more sense if someone is moved, but I don't truly believe moving DD or Gionta is in the cards. Our current lineup could look like.

Briere Eller Bourque
Gionta Pleks MaxPac
Gally DD Gally
Prust White Moen
Thomas

Each line has 2 guys that can take faceoffs, but (Captain obvious to the rescue) this is one small lineup. DD and Gionta really do need to go if we're going to have Briere and BGally in the lineup.

If we can sign Clarkson and/or trade DD/Gionta for either a roster player or prospects it could easily look like

Clarkson/??? Eller Bourque
???/Gio Pleks MaxPac
Gally Briere Gally
Prust White Moen
Thomas

This immediately changes the makeup of the lineup to one that has a Power line / Finesse line / Energy line / Gritty line . Very balanced scoring. Clarkson/Prust/White/Moen all can drop the gloves... would love to have a heavyweight but this is an effective lineup.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
Its like a nightmare that you have and you cannot wake up to make it stop.

Our brains vs MB's brains. Who is right?

Hint: not MB

Spending 8 million dollars on smurf Briere and smurf DD is the wisest use of our limited cap space? Not to mention dumb extensions to moan and cube.

FlavorFlav

Feb 26, 2003
Visit site
I sincerely hope, after this baffling / absurd / ridiculous move, MB's got some real sneaky stuff planned to pull tomorrow on free agency day. Because there ain't a whole helluva lot of talent in free agency, and we are out of the Ryan Clowe sweepstakes (according to TSN) and (sadly) Clarkson is gonna command $6M + that we don't have...

Over to you, maestro...

Les Kuntar

Jul 3, 2013
I feel like an underrated aspect of this signing is just the veteran presence that he will add on this team. Say what you want about his skills, diminished or not, he's an experienced player with proven playoff success coming aboard with a young team. In terms of our forward lines, other than Moen, Gionta and Plekanec, you're looking at quite limited playoff exposure and just general experience in the league. Add to that that Briere has had an exemplary work ethic throughout his career, and he knows the ropes as a diminutive forward in this league on a roster full of younger, similar players, and you're looking at a wealth of knowledge to be spread throughout the roster.

I'm not saying I love the move, but it's asset management. The contract isn't crippling. He is a legit NHLer (who may or may not be deserving of the contract he's signed to) and he didn't cost anything other than salary cap space. Yes we need to get bigger. But those options are all but exhausted at this point for this season, so let's bridge the gap with a player that seems to want to be here, and fulfills also a marketing need (big name, although over the hill, french canadian).

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
You must watch very few games if you think that's true.

And Gallagher doesn't try to screen the goalie. Gallagher tries to make the goalie his ***** by driving the net as hard as he can.

Ive watched them all, I rarely see DD being abused by screening the goalie like you said.

Seriously, since ****ing when DD has become the Holmstrom of the Habs? DD screening the goalie? Really? That's his style now?

Dharvey33

Apr 30, 2010
Give the guy a chance for christ sake what a bunch of sissies, That probably means that Desharnais is going to get traded and i take a proven playoff performer in Brière 10 times before Desharnais for roughly the same price. Bergevin will surely target a tough guy for his 3rd or 4th line on the ufa.

I'm willing to give him a chance i think Brière if he stays injury free still has a lot more in the tank than people think.

Last year only the kids and Subban showed up in the playoff you can count on Briere to show up this year. Plus he has a knack for garbage goals something we are lacking apart from gallagher.

One of the best instant improvement on the ufa for sure this year. Get a 50-60 points winger yet people still cry. It's not like he overpaid for a 20-30 points player like Bickell.

Millpool

Jul 12, 2012
I don't really get the huge fuss over a two year contract. I think a lot of people have the misconception that we're ready to compete right now, which is very far from the truth. We have a lot of strong young players that need time to develop, and this stop-gap contract allows them to do that while having a capable guy step into the top 6. Plus, Gionta will be gone for the first while. Even if there isn't a big deal to follow, as so many seem so sure of, it's not a bad move. It's not a lot of money and most importantly it's not a lot of term. If he performs, this is excellent. If he doesn't, he's gone in two seasons when younger players will be ready for larger roles. This team is a ways away from competing yet, and I like the approach of allowing prospects to develop properly.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

One of the best instant improvement on the ufa for sure this year. Get a 50-60 points winger yet people still cry. It's not like he overpaid for a 20-30 points player like Bickell.

Anyone who chooses briere over bickell for this team has NOT watched a lot of games.

The answer to being too small is not more small ( and old and in the decline)

simplysincere*

We really don't know which ones of those decisions or how many were affected by language.

Right hiring our coach and GM last year were probably not affect by language at all. Nor was the obsession with landing one of two players past their primes, Lecavalier and Briere.

:rolleyes:

get real!

Millpool

Jul 12, 2012
I feel like an underrated aspect of this signing is just the veteran presence that he will add on this team. Say what you want about his skills, diminished or not, he's an experienced player with proven playoff success coming aboard with a young team. In terms of our forward lines, other than Moen, Gionta and Plekanec, you're looking at quite limited playoff exposure and just general experience in the league. Add to that that Briere has had an exemplary work ethic throughout his career, and he knows the ropes as a diminutive forward in this league on a roster full of younger, similar players, and you're looking at a wealth of knowledge to be spread throughout the roster.

I'm not saying I love the move, but it's asset management. The contract isn't crippling. He is a legit NHLer (who may or may not be deserving of the contract he's signed to) and he didn't cost anything other than salary cap space. Yes we need to get bigger. But those options are all but exhausted at this point for this season, so let's bridge the gap with a player that seems to want to be here, and fulfills also a marketing need (big name, although over the hill, french canadian).

Couldn't have said it better. Low-risk, high-reward move that makes sense for where the organization is at. We're not playing for the Cup next season, but we're on our way up. You want character guys like Briere influencing your developing players.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006

I'd much rather have kept Erik Cole for two more years at the same salary. Had a similar season to Briere in terms of production but Cole at least is hard to play against. Would have been much more useful than Ryder was in the playoffs.

Church

The last lion
Mar 26, 2010
Montreal, QC
Am I honestly the only 1 happy with this deal ? Brière will be on a mission here to prove us wrong for hating him. I mean, the guy has balls signing and I respect him for that.

simplysincere*

This is ********. Its a french team in a french city, in a french province. Like it or not, french matters to the real habs, the Quebequers. If you feel you have a problem with that than this team is not for you. And fyi, the reason we are not winning the cup is not french. There are 30 teams and 1 cup, we cant win all the time, we won 24 times with that darn french curse.

LOL!

Moore, Robinson, Dryden, Toe Blake, Sam Pollock.

Right, they were not real habs. Right? Only the Quebecers are, AS YOU SAY.

The real habs are as much english as they are french.

P.S. You forgot to mention french city, french province, in an english country. English are as important as the french are to Quebec.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
Right hiring our coach and GM last year were probably not affect by language at all. Nor was the obsession with landing one of two players past their primes, Lecavalier and Briere.

get real!

I am not saying it doesn't happen. Just that you cant blame everything on it. That's just raving. Apparently two other teams were willing to give more to Briere. We didn't outbid anyone on Lecavalier.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
Am I honestly the only 1 happy with this deal ? Brière will be on a mission here to prove us wrong for hating him. I mean, the guy has balls signing and I respect him for that.

I have nothing against him personally, he's just not a need on this team. Not even close.

Church

The last lion
Mar 26, 2010
Montreal, QC
Couldn't have said it better. Low-risk, high-reward move that makes sense for where the organization is at. We're not playing for the Cup next season, but we're on our way up. You want character guys like Briere influencing your developing players.

Exactly.

simplysincere*

I am not saying it doesn't happen. Just that you cant blame everything on it. That's just raving. Apparently two other teams were willing to give more to Briere. We didn't outbid anyone on Lecavalier.

Do you have sources for that? Because that's a first that I hear more teams were willing to give Briere more than 4 million a season.

Church

The last lion
Mar 26, 2010
Montreal, QC
I have nothing against him personally, he's just not a need on this team. Not even close.

The thing is getting a UFA is not like being a spoiled child going to Toys R Us. You don't always get what you want. Sometimes you gotta go with the 2nd, 3rd or 4th option. Bottom line is we're better now than we were before.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
The thing is getting a UFA is not like being a spoiled child going to Toys R Us. You don't always get what you want. Sometimes you gotta go with the 2nd, 3rd or 4th option. Bottom line is we're better now than we were before.

I don't see it.

Habiton

Apr 30, 2010
Ok, I would recommend you all cut out the emotion of previous rejection and look at this pragmatically. I will admit that I was pissed but separating the hate from the equation and I actually like it.

First off its cheap and short term. Briere is versitale and has one of the most dangerous shots in the league. He's a playoff performer who's known to be great in the room. What's the problem, size?

Bergevin isn't stupid and will address that, I simply guarantee it. Just give him some time and it will all be fine.

This is a great signing and in two years when Clarkson is scoring 15 goals at 6M AAV for 3 more years you will be thanking everything that we have a competent GM.

I think we all need to stop the instablame the GM. He's shown nothing but savvy thinking over the past year (wait before you evaluate DDs situation, give me a year then *****)

Canadian_Brewtality

Feb 16, 2005
reading through this thread, and the MB bashing, i now understand why many ppl hate habs fans.

The most irrational, fickle, whiny, turn coat fans i've ever seen.

ppl were ready to lynch bourque when he got here, now he is a great player.
desharnais was a diamond in the rough 1 season ago, plays 30 poor games, and ppl want him gone for a 7th rounder.
Price is god, Price is horrible (depends the night)
Bergevin is awesome. Makes a signing you dont like, fire him.
Therrien exceeds our expectations, we lost in the first round, fire him.

Really sad to see how little habs fans watch hockey outside of their own team. Reading these boards and listening to call in shows. Its pathetic.

MB hasnt even had a full season and because of a 2 year contract for a local guys, its like the franchise has become a joke. Rome wasnt built in a day and he wasnt given all the assets to be able to turn it around on a dime. Be patient.

Cant wait for you children to proclaim MB as a genius when Briere becomes a great addition and the team plays well.

Canadian_Brewtality

Feb 16, 2005
to reply to that poster with the french language rant. We have 3 francophone players on the roster. Bergevin was said by many to be an excellent candidate, not just the french media.

And revisit the Therrien hiring. At that time, the options were extremely limited.

joke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad