LeBrun: Canadiens reached out to Capitals to offer one of their forwards (Dadonov, Hoffman, Drouin etc) and Capitals declined

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I'll never know how two teams were able to unload that horrible Dadonov contract
The lack of term is the key there. Obviously not worth his cap hit but it's pretty easy to manage a contract with one year left. Dadonov is absolutely useless though so I wouldn't be shocked if there were no takers for him even at 50%. He's still more likely to get moved than Hoffman because Hoffman has that extra year left on his deal even though in the right situation he would probably be a lot more effective than Dadonov.

Realistically I believe Drouin could have a taker come TDL if he can stay healthy, Dadonov we just ride out and he goes back to Russia after the year is done and Hoffman will be bought out.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
The lack of term is the key there. Obviously not worth his cap hit but it's pretty easy to manage a contract with one year left. Dadonov is absolutely useless though so I wouldn't be shocked if there were no takers for him even at 50%. He's still more likely to get moved than Hoffman because Hoffman has that extra year left on his deal even though in the right situation he would probably be a lot more effective than Dadonov.

Realistically I believe Drouin could have a taker come TDL if he can stay healthy, Dadonov we just ride out and he goes back to Russia after the year is done and Hoffman will be bought out.
There will be no reason to buy out Hoffman unless they need space to sign a top free agent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Whalers Fan

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Thanks for the shocking news Pierre. I can't believe the Habs want to trade any of these superstars.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Drouin will be on a PTO next season.
I wouldn't be surprised if Drouin ends up with the Avs right now. They are forward thin, and at least Drouin could play spot duty with Mackinnon or reunite with Lehkonen, maybe recussitate his career like Nikuschkin, and give the Avs a semblance of two scoring lines with Landeskog out.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I wouldn't be surprised if Drouin ends up with the Avs right now. They are forward thin, and at least Drouin could play spot duty with Mackinnon or reunite with Lehkonen, maybe recussitate his career like Nikuschkin, and give the Avs a semblance of two scoring lines with Landeskog out.

I would be surprised. They’ve managed to get under the salary cap with this current line-up and they can’t with Drouin.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I would be surprised. They’ve managed to get under the salary cap with this current line( -up and they can’t with Drouin.
I just wonder where the Habs think they are, because if they swapped say Drouin and a 1st for Girard, which is dollars and cents an even trade, Montreal has something of a top 4 defense all of a sudden, and Colorado has depth scoring from a guy who lit up the Q with Mackinnon.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
There will be no reason to buy out Hoffman unless they need space to sign a top free agent.
Hoffman actually has a very team-friendly buyout cost. It's better to simply cut the cord than keep benching him because I don't think either the Habs or Hoffman are happy with that.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Dadonov: 0 points in 8 games, $5 million AAV
Hoffman: 2 points in 9 games, $4.5 million AAV with another year after this year
Drouin: 2 points in 7 games, $5.5 million AAV

Golly, I can't think of a possible reason why the Capitals wouldn't want any of them. Can't understand it.
I don’t think anyone is under the illusion they the habs will get anything back

Every habs fan would gladly give up those 3 players for free

Gaud

May 11, 2017
They should all get a 1st closer to the TDL
Nearly spat out my coffee haha
I just got off a thread that said Edmundson wouldnt fetch a 1st at the TDL, and i got all worked up with my numbers and comparatives, and now this :D

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Kent Hughes is sweating because his competence has led to a better than expected group that is in danger of missing out on the top 3.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
I would absolutely love Drouin at 700k on the leafs personally. I think his skill set would work well beside either of the top 6 lines. Leaning towards Mathews line tho.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
No-one(with any sense) wants the Hab's shit forwards. Or any of their D for that matter. Or their Goalies. Now their picks, on the other hand.....

• Haha
Reactions: waitin425

Jack Spider

Jun 2, 2022
Nobody wants those three. They're not legitimate NHL players.
Lol. Drouin is a good player and one of the most talented players in the league. Sure he hasn't lived up to his Halifax but I'm pretty sure he'd top the swiss league ainec he'd get picked mid season by an nhl team.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I would be surprised. They’ve managed to get under the salary cap with this current line-up and they can’t with Drouin.
They absolutely could in February with 50% retention. You're also saving the caphit of the guy Drouin would be replacing (if there's a replaced player)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad