LeBrun: Canadiens reached out to Capitals to offer one of their forwards (Dadonov, Hoffman, Drouin etc) and Capitals declined

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto

No but he's strangely homophobic for some reason. I mean like, no one said anything related to anything gay and he went straight there, as though it was already on his mind or something. Meh. Some people gravitate to certain things. To each his own.

1jo9hv.jpg

Reactions: Mrfenn92

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I just wonder where the Habs think they are, because if they swapped say Drouin and a 1st for Girard, which is dollars and cents an even trade, Montreal has something of a top 4 defense all of a sudden, and Colorado has depth scoring from a guy who lit up the Q with Mackinnon.
That was almost 10 years ago. There's no guarantee that Drouin gets it going with the Avs (or otherwise). And at 5.5 million, that's a big gamble. The Avs pro scouting don't typically work that way. The Avs typically target guys who are not making what Drouin makes.

Also, for where Montreal is, it's doubtful that they trade that 1st. Even if it's a protected 1st, it's hard to imagine Montreal making this trade.

Reactions: Andrewcoursol

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
The title sounds like the Habs offered their son's hand in marriage and got rejected lmao

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I mean...Montreal wasn't exactly leading with their strongest foot here, were they?
We have an excess of forwards on one year deals, the Caps need forwards its mainly just hey want any of this garbage to solve your injury problems? Probably asked for 3rd to 7th to help get the guys a place to play. I wouldn't be surprised if WSH snags pitlick as he can do spot duty in the top 6.

Reactions: Andrewcoursol

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I just wonder where the Habs think they are, because if they swapped say Drouin and a 1st for Girard, which is dollars and cents an even trade, Montreal has something of a top 4 defense all of a sudden, and Colorado has depth scoring from a guy who lit up the Q with Mackinnon.
First off MacKinnon and Drouin played together almost a decade ago. It might be grasping at straws to try to recreate their junior magic. Secondly Girard is a solid 2nd pairing dman, Drouin is a cap dump that would require a sweetener to move. If that 1st is the Florida first, it will be late in the first round and would be required just for the Avs to take on that salary (see Monahan). Also if the Avs are looking to add to their forward group, it would seem logical that they would add a C, the position they need as opposed to another winger when they already have Rantanen, Nichushkin, Lehkonen, Newhook, Compher, Landeskog (returning in a month or so). This deal seems like it would work for the Habs and be total trash for the Avs.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
The phone call might not have been about Hoffman, Drouin, or Dadonov. We can assume it was them but Hughes is creative. Anderson might be in play. Any value to both Anderson and Edmundson?

Anderson and Eddy
for
Mantha and Miro (prospect who is dealing with cancer recovery).

* Any value to the Caps for unloading Hagelin? Is he on LTIR for the full season or it's it an unknown?
I like that you snuck in Miro with the description - prospect who is dealing with cancer recovery. But you could have also said Miroshnichenko the universally agreed upon top 3 talent in the last draft that has completed cancer treatment and is back on the ice again.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I think the asking price was a 1st + for Chiarot from Habs fans. And they got it!
I agree I didn't expect Chiarot to get a 1st and he did. With that said, Florida got bounced in the first round and Chiarot was terrible and that deal looks pretty stupid in hindsight. So all those people that said he wasn't worth a 1st were correct, but all the people that said he would never get a 1st were wrong.

Andrewcoursol

May 13, 2018
ontario
I don’t think anything is going to change at the trade deadline. If teams don’t want them now, then no teams gearing up for a playoff run are going to want them. They’re both pretty useless players right now. Maybe one of them raises their stock but we’re likely stuck with them.
I can see a team taking Drouin/Dadonov for depth, especially if that team is in a playoff race, conditions could be put on any pick obtained, Monahan will get a 1st rounder from someone, it might not be 2023 but still a 1st rounder especially if he plays well up until the deadline. Hoffman should be put on waivers until his contract expires, there is no need to buy him out, The habs will have enough salary cap to sign Caufield/Harris this offseason and still have a lot of cap room left over to use on a UFA, or use it to acquire players and picks from other teams needing salary cap room, (similar to Monahan deal).

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
First off MacKinnon and Drouin played together almost a decade ago. It might be grasping at straws to try to recreate their junior magic. Secondly Girard is a solid 2nd pairing dman, Drouin is a cap dump that would require a sweetener to move. If that 1st is the Florida first, it will be late in the first round and would be required just for the Avs to take on that salary (see Monahan). Also if the Avs are looking to add to their forward group, it would seem logical that they would add a C, the position they need as opposed to another winger when they already have Rantanen, Nichushkin, Lehkonen, Newhook, Compher, Landeskog (returning in a month or so). This deal seems like it would work for the Habs and be total trash for the Avs.
Habs aren't giving up a 1st as sweetener to trade Drouin. Never. They might give up a pick but it isn't a first. This isn't the start of the year and habs can eat alot of his salary as a sweetener

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Habs aren't giving up a 1st as sweetener to trade Drouin. Never. They might give up a pick but it isn't a first. This isn't the start of the year and habs can eat alot of his salary as a sweetener
The post I responded to stated Girard and Drouin were dollar for dollar. My point was that to take Drouin on at full cap hit would require a similar add to what the Habs received for Monahan. Do I think the Habs should? No way not at the start of a rebuild. But Drouin right now would need a Monahan type adder to make a team interested.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
The post I responded to stated Girard and Drouin were dollar for dollar. My point was that to take Drouin on at full cap hit would require a similar add to what the Habs received for Monahan. Do I think the Habs should? No way not at the start of a rebuild. But Drouin right now would need a Monahan type adder to make a team interested.
I don't think so. Habs got the 1st because it was before year again and they ate his full salary.
Habs would eat a lot of Drouin's salary, and 25% of year is getting close to being completed.
I also don't think Girard is a target any more. That ship sailed with the acquisition of Barron.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I don't think so. Habs got the 1st because it was before year again and they ate his full salary.
Habs would eat a lot of Drouin's salary, and 25% of year is getting close to being completed.
I also don't think Girard is a target any more. That ship sailed with the acquisition of Barron.
We can agree to disagree. Again the post I responded to had no retention on Drouin and the poster stated Girard - not my proposal - just my thoughts on players and parameters laid out by another poster.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I like that you snuck in Miro with the description - prospect who is dealing with cancer recovery. But you could have also said Miroshnichenko the universally agreed upon top 3 talent in the last draft that has completed cancer treatment and is back on the ice again.

I didn't sneak in anything so stop speculating. I actually didn't know he is back on the ice. Universally agreed top 3? That's reaching a bit. Top 10 prospect yes.

I'm guessing you think this is a rip off for the Caps? Not how I see it. Up to the Caps but this is how I see the evaluation... This is a help the Caps now to make the playoffs type trade. I'm not trading Anderson lightly cause we are in love with Mantha and the Quebec factor. But it will be assumed that way. False if so.

Anderson > Mantha. How much? Not by a wide margin but Anderson's skating is top notch for a power forward and he's the type you want in the playoffs.

Edmundson is worth what Chiarot and Savard got at a deadline. Eddy has a great AAV for what you get and it comes with 2 years of term. Not a rental. Stability on the back end is important and Eddy provides that. Added value that he can easily play both sides and he has lots of history of that too.

** Added value from the Anderson/Mantha flip and then Eddy worth a 1st (min) = Miro. Several other Habs fans rather trade Eddy for a late 1st and a B prospect vs taking Miro (believe it or not).

Miro is not helping the caps in the next few years and the Caps are build to win now but facing injuries. Anderson/Eddy improves their team by a fair margin and both are playoff warriors.

I also believe this fits the salary cap which is difficult to do. Caps improve now, fit it in their cap, and the Habs get futures and unblock our roster clutter a bit on the back end. Checks a lot of boxes

Last edited:

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I didn't sneak in anything so stop speculating. I actually didn't know he is back on the ice. Universally agreed top 3? That's reaching a bit. Top 10 prospect yes.

I'm guessing you think this is a rip off for the Caps? Not how I see it. Up to the Caps but this is how I see the evaluation... This is a help the Caps now to make the playoffs type trade. I'm not trading Anderson lightly cause we are in love with Mantha and the Quebec factor. But it will be assumed that way. False if so.

Anderson > Mantha. How much? Not by a wide margin but Anderson's skating is top notch for a power forward and he's the type you want in the playoffs.

Edmundson is worth what Chiarot and Savard got at a deadline. Eddy has a great AAV for what you get and it comes with 2 years of term. Not a rental. Stability on the back end is important and Eddy provides that. Added value that he can easily play both sides and he has lots of history of that too.

** Added value from the Anderson/Mantha flip and then Eddy worth a 1st (min) = Miro. Several other Habs fans rather trade Eddy for a late 1st and a B prospect vs taking Miro (believe it or not).

Miro is not helping the caps in the next few years and the Caps are build to win now but facing injuries. Anderson/Eddy improves their team by a fair margin and both are playoff warriors.

I also believe this fits the salary cap which is difficult to do. Caps improve now, fit it in their cap, and the Habs get futures and unblock our roster clutter a bit on the back end. Checks a lot of boxes
Anderson vs Mantha - agreed, Anderson is a better player by a small margin. The contract is another story. I wouldn't really want to trade 1.75 seasons of Mantha for 4.75 seasons of Anderson. Anderson is 28 and has 1 season over 32 points. He skates well and is physical, but is he the type of player you commit cap to long term?

I think Edmundson might get a 1st if he is traded this trade deadline with retention. Retention was never part of your deal.

As for Miro, prior to his cancer diagnosis he was seen as a top 2-3 talent in the 2022 draft. Miro would have been drafted top 5 for sure without the diagnosis. He was the biggest Russian draft prospect in many years. His diagnosis open the door to questions about his recovery since it was announced about a month before the draft - but players of his talent level are not traded in depth moves.

To the Habs fans that would prefer a 1st and a B prospect......well no wonder there are so many bad proposals on this site.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Anderson vs Mantha - agreed, Anderson is a better player by a small margin. The contract is another story. I wouldn't really want to trade 1.75 seasons of Mantha for 4.75 seasons of Anderson. Anderson is 28 and has 1 season over 32 points. He skates well and is physical, but is he the type of player you commit cap to long term?

I think Edmundson might get a 1st if he is traded this trade deadline with retention. Retention was never part of your deal.

As for Miro, prior to his cancer diagnosis he was seen as a top 2-3 talent in the 2022 draft. Miro would have been drafted top 5 for sure without the diagnosis. He was the biggest Russian draft prospect in many years. His diagnosis open the door to questions about his recovery since it was announced about a month before the draft - but players of his talent level are not traded in depth moves.

To the Habs fans that would prefer a 1st and a B prospect......well no wonder there are so many bad proposals on this site.

Fair assessment from the other side. Just another fan proposal that goes down the drain. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad