LeBrun: Canadiens reached out to Capitals to offer one of their forwards (Dadonov, Hoffman, Drouin etc) and Capitals declined

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

The Habs have a glut of forwards while the Caps have a bunch of issues upfront, Pierre could this workout for both?
Pierre LeBrun:
“Well, certainly on paper, you could see why the two teams would at least want to talk. And I’m told there has been communication between the Caps and Habs, but it hasn’t gone very much past that. The reason is, despite the fact, Connor Brown is gone for six to eight months and the Caps do have his $3.6 million cap hit to play with, for now, Washington is intent on looking at its internal options whether that’s Connor McMichael or Sonny Milano who they just signed and recalled. So for now, Washington wants to look at that.
“The Habs have not only reached out, I’m told, to the Washington Capitals, they reached out to several clubs around the league trying to create a trade market for their glut of forwards whether that’s Evgenii Dadonov, or Jonathan Drouin, or Mike Hoffman and beyond. The Habs have too many guys up front which is why there was some noteworthy healthy scratches every night with this team. We’ll see where that goes, but certainly, Montreal is looking to make a move.”

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
You're telling me nobody wants to eat this free hot dog someone left lying on the floor?

We don't want to pay to unload them.

Other than that Habs fans aren't expecting much/anything.

I think Drouin could MAYBE fetch a pick.
@50% maybe, even still he's probably gotta show some more offence before he has any real value even retained

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
It's not easy to move high cap hits before any cap space has been accrued. We're stuck with these guys likely until the deadline. They'll be flipped at 50% for much less than last year's crop.

CapsCrazyX17

Jun 20, 2003
Washington, DC
What did I miss? Why the caps?
Backstrom, Oshie, Hagelin, and Brown are all out long-term and may not even return this season. Wilson is out until maybe the end of 2022. Carlson is hurt, though maybe not as bad as the others. Even one of our injury call-ups from the AHL got hurt after one game.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Dadonov: 0 points in 8 games, $5 million AAV
Hoffman: 2 points in 9 games, $4.5 million AAV with another year after this year
Drouin: 2 points in 7 games, $5.5 million AAV

Golly, I can't think of a possible reason why the Capitals wouldn't want any of them. Can't understand it.

They should all get a 1st closer to the TDL

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
It's not easy to move high cap hits before any cap space has been accrued. We're stuck with these guys likely until the deadline. They'll be flipped at 50% for much less than last year's crop.
Honestly I'm not even sure they use a retention slot on them unless they elect to resign Monahan. Not sure either Dadonov or Drouin would have enough value even at 50% to justify using a slot and I could see them retaining on Edmundson for this and next year

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Not a factor in this specific report as Washington won’t accrue any cap space for the trade deadline.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Dadonov: 0 points in 8 games, $5 million AAV
Hoffman: 2 points in 9 games, $4.5 million AAV with another year after this year
Drouin: 2 points in 7 games, $5.5 million AAV

Golly, I can't think of a possible reason why the Capitals wouldn't want any of them. Can't understand it.
Doesn’t hurt to ask as the habs especially if your willing to retain and if your the caps maybe you think there a stopgap during injuries but the reality is that dru and dadanov are in their last years

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

I mean, theyre all kind of garbage in the RS AND playoffs so nothing compared to Lehk/Chiarot who are solid depth p'ayers, and who raise their games in the playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad