Pre-Game Talk: Canadiens @ Penguins | Perron's debut

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'm totally fine with the best center (Crosby) getting the two best wingers (Perron and Hornqvist) when they are healthy. Using that logic though, the 2C should get the 3rd and 4th best wingers, not the 3C.

I do not believe they are breaking up Kunitz - Sutter - Bennett in the bear future.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Malkin has received every new winger until Hornqvist and he still splits time with him. Dunno where this crosby gets all the wingers **** is coming from

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I just brought it up as a slight discussion piece. I honestly don't give two ***** what anyone feels :laugh:

I'm just crazy happy this team is finally providing the depth for our 2 centers as it needs. Big time.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Could you list all of these skilled wingers please? Keep in mind that: 1) Perron hasn't played with anyone yet and 2) Hornqvist was acquired to play with Geno, according to MJ, and once Geno went back to center, Hornqvist went to his line and KCD was reunited.

I'd like to think that plan changed considering the fact Malkin and Hornqvist don't look like they click together.

I do not believe they are breaking up Kunitz - Sutter - Bennett in the bear future.

That's a fine and dandy 3rd line.... if you have better options for the second line, which they currently don't have.

I've said it before, having a "balanced line-up" doesn't mean squat if you have ham and eggers dragging down the top 6. It's more important to give the 2C better wingers than the 3C, regardless of what Johnston's original vision is.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Malkin has received every new winger until Hornqvist and he still splits time with him. Dunno where this crosby gets all the wingers **** is coming from

2012:

Malkin starts off with Neal and... (was this the Tangradi and Boychuk year?) then gets Bennett. Looks great with Neal and Bennett, then they trade for Morrow, he gets Morrow, then they trade for Iginla, he gets Iginla. All of those wasted assets that year - all of them - were in an effort to upgrade Neal and Malkin, not Sid's line.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

Yeah it's pretty bizarre. The last time Sid got the new toy was Guerin.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
2012:

Malkin starts off with Neal and... (was this the Tangradi and Boychuk year?) then gets Bennett. Looks great with Neal and Bennett, then they trade for Morrow, he gets Morrow, then they trade for Iginla, he gets Iginla. All of those wasted assets that year - all of them - were in an effort to upgrade Neal and Malkin, not Sid's line.

I think that had more to do with DB and possibly Sid's obsession with KCD than anything else. Neal was brought in originally for Sid but he was hurt and him and Geno had chemistry so he stayed.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I could see Kunitz making his way back to the top 6, it's more about if he'll be able to stay there. A lot has to depend on what Kunitz is doing and how Comeau is. Sutter - Bennett I doubt gets broken up.

I'd like to think that plan changed considering the fact Malkin and Hornqvist don't look like they click together.

People are still willing to try it here and the coaching staff has as well. Maybe they can make Hornin work, I'd rather just put him with Crosby and Perron while looking for another winger for Malkin but whatever.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
I just brought it up as a slight discussion piece. I honestly don't give two ***** what anyone feels :laugh:

I'm just crazy happy this team is finally providing the depth for our 2 centers as it needs. Big time.
Definitely - the cavalry have arrived..

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I'm not overly thrilled about Sutter with BB. I understand the importance of the third line, but Sutter's line was extremely good for a spell there until it was broken up. Sutter, Downie and Spaling.

I see BB elevating Sutter's game and I know he can help take Malkin to another level.

We'll see how it plays out, but if they don't find another legit winger for the top six, BB needs to be up there at some point.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
How about the balls Johnston has to move Kunitz to the 3rd line w/ injuries. Seriously? That's some huge balls. DB would have never done that. He would have just accepted Kunitz playing like ass.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I think that had more to do with DB and possibly Sid's obsession with KCD than anything else. Neal was brought in originally for Sid but he was hurt and him and Geno had chemistry so he stayed.

Are we sure Crosby was the root of that problem? I think that may have been Bylsma trying to put words in Crosby's mouth. Crosby sure didn't look upset when he started the season with Hornqvist on his line.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Like Cole, I don't care where Perron goes, I just want the best team possible. But it seems like, unless he goes to Malkin, there will be a stream of passive-aggressive complaints about it, and that's what I'm fighting.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Here's an idea. Just put the players in the right spots where each player on a line compliments each other. Who gives a **** who gets who? If Malkin doesn't have as good of wingers to play with as Crosby, oh well, and vice versa. Trade for another then. Just ice the best lineup. I'm sick of the "oh woe is Crosby," or "oh woe is Malkin" camps.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm not overly thrilled about Sutter with BB. I understand the importance of the third line, but Sutter's line was extremely good for a spell there until it was broken up. Sutter, Downie and Spaling.

I see BB elevating Sutter's game and I know he can help take Malkin to another level.

We'll see how it plays out, but if they don't find another legit winger for the top six, BB needs to be up there at some point.

That's a good point, Jiggy. We saw that 3rd line w/ Downie and Spaling (or Comeau) play damn well. In fact won us a game by themselves. So that's a very good point.

Beau, if he can stay healthy, changes this team. Makes us better offensively. Gives us more skill. It definitely gets us better creativity.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

I agree. When Hornqvist comes back they should role with this as a top 9 until JR makes another trade:

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Bennett
Spaling-Sutter-Downie

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Could always try

Spaling - Crosby - Perron
Bennett - Malkin - Rust
Kunitz - Sutter - Downie
Ebbett - Goc - Adams

or

Perron - Crosby - Rust
Kunitz - Malkin - Bennett
Spaling - Sutter - Downie
Ebett - Goc - Adams

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Could you list all of these skilled wingers please? Keep in mind that: 1) Perron hasn't played with anyone yet and 2) Hornqvist was acquired to play with Geno, according to MJ, and once Geno went back to center, Hornqvist went to his line and KCD was reunited.

If you don't believe that the team sets up their best player first to succeed thats fine. It's a little naive thinking IMO.

I really don't care either way. Would I like to see Malkin get his own skilled wing? Certainly. But he isn't as "high maintenance" as Sid when it comes to matching forwards. That alone makes deferring any new acquisition the team makes to Crosby first.

Hell look what Geno just did with Ebbett and Rust on his line last night. I don't see Sid being able to do the same with those two.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
How about the balls Johnston has to move Kunitz to the 3rd line w/ injuries. Seriously? That's some huge balls. DB would have never done that. He would have just accepted Kunitz playing like ass.

Yeah. :laugh:

And wonder of wonders Kunitz is looking better.

Are we sure Crosby was the root of that problem? I think that may have been Bylsma trying to put words in Crosby's mouth. Crosby sure didn't look upset when he started the season with Hornqvist on his line.

No one was ever actually sure, they did however argue about it a lot. It was oodles of fun for the whole family.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
If you don't believe that the team sets up their best player first to succeed thats fine. It's a little naive thinking IMO.

I really don't care either way. Would I like to see Malkin get his own skilled wing? Certainly. But he isn't as "high maintenance" as Sid when it comes to matching forwards. That alone makes deferring any new acquisition the team makes to Crosby first.

Hell look what Geno just did with Ebbett and Rust on his line last night. I don't see Sid being able to do the same with those two.

all i did was ask for a list. Could I just get the list?

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Keep Spaling as close to the 4th line as you can. He's not anywhere near a top 6 player. Dupuis makes Spaling looks like a sack of ****. Dupers is 1000x better than Spaling.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

conspiracy-bear-meme.jpg

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
If Perron is for Crosby, I think we could all empathize with Geno a little bit for being frustrated, right? Neal was the only winger we ever gave him and we traded him for a winger for Sid. Then every new winger that comes in... goes straight to Sid.

But honestly I don't care about feelings. This is the best top 6, when fully healthy, we've had in a long time. This proves that Shero wasn't building the proper team AND had bad luck (Suter/Parise, Hossa).

Pretty pumped up right now.

I'd agree with that. Geno might be frustrated, especially with the way things have played out under this regime so far.

ghostnights

Oct 8, 2010
Edmonton
As an Oilers fan, I'm so glad that you guys got Perron. I love your third jerseys and Malkin is an absolute stud. I also hope the Steelers walk all over the Ravens tonight. Falco is a tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad