Canadian Team Executive says incompetence of Matthews Deal will affect the rest of the League

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I would be curious to know the value of the same contract had it been signed in TB, since they have no state tax. Probably $9M aav. League needs to adjust salary cap for each team based on tax rates, otherwise you will have high tax markets like toronto have to overpay on contracts raising the bar on player rates.

You just take the taxes away which in this case is 15% since his residency is in America so 9.8979. 9.9 rounded

This is also rounded since his salary is at the 46% tax bracket and the bonuses is at 15%. The salary is very minimal though

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Yet everyone forgets how Kyle Dubas signed John Tavares for $2 million less than what San Jose was offering him.

Yeah that's why Tavares didn't make his decision to sign with Toronto until 9:00 PM EST on June 30, 2018. It's a myth that Islanders fans and Leafs haters started because they could not accept that a top player like Tavares wanted to play for the Maple Leafs.

How the Toronto Maple Leafs signed John Tavares - Sportsnet.ca

I hope you might take a little time to consider the incongruity of your two posts here.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I hope you might take a little time to consider the incongruity of your two posts here.
Tavares signed for $77 million which is an $11 million AAV. It was reported that San Jose was offering him 7 years and $13.5 million AAV. It was mentioned in that same story and here is the exact quote, so where is the incongruity?

How the Toronto Maple Leafs signed John Tavares - Sportsnet.ca

Wilson wouldn’t discuss San Jose’s pitch, but word is he told Tavares, “You are the final piece for us.” It has also been rumoured (but never confirmed) that the Sharks were willing to pay $13.5 million per year for seven years. “That was a confident group,” one source says. “They felt they were the best option for John, and they showed it.”

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Not a bad owner? He's a convicted criminal, had a child sex ring running in his building. lost us Bernie Parent, Rick Ley, Jim Harrison, Brad Selwood, Guy Trottier,, Marcel Pronovost. Paul Henderson and Mike Pelyk. He traded Lanny MacDonald out of spite towards Sittler, who would remove the C from his sweater. Also forced possibly the greatest Leaf ever (Keon) off the team. We ended up with Salming out of spite towards Ballard (while he was in jail they signed him to put it to Ballard knowing his feelings towards Europeans. He demanded his coach wear a paper bag over his head.

All told, the Leafs only had six winning seasons in Ballard's 18-plus seasons as majority owner and never finished higher than third in their division in any format. In Ballard's last 13 seasons, they only finished above fourth once and won only two playoff series.

He dumped Foster Hewitt's gondola in an incinerator.

He sold all their Cup Banners.

He had their pennants used as paint rags.

The guy was slimeball personified.
Sure but blame the fans more than him. The guy knew how to win but he also knew how to maximize profits of a fan base that would support them win or lose. He was forcing guys off the team who wanted more money. Why pay more money out when you sell out regardless? Sure the guy is a slime all we all know that but he took advantage of a very loyal fan base. You know what the turning point of this franchise was? When we fought back, threw waffles and jerseys on the ice. That's stuff fans in the 80s wouldn't do.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
He's not a bad owner per se, he took advantage of a fan base that supported losing. He won Grey Cups he was just smart and maximized profits knowing we'd sell out anyways.
I don't buy this line of thinking. It's in every owner's best interest to win so that they can 1.) Roll in the cash from playoff tickets 2.) Attract bandwagon fans who will then spend more on merch and TV viewership. A winning team will make more money under the same circumstances than a losing team would.

Last edited:

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
Why do the Leafs care what other execs think? They're gonna be curbstomping like 90% of the league for the foreseeable future.
Lol, Leafs is in such shitty cap hit situation that half of the players will be some ELCers and I have already given my frecast in Leafs board: Toronto won't be even a PO team next year.

Edit: see islanders. They got rid of tavares as beeing one of the worst teams and got as new filppula, komarov and lehner + some D. And now leading metropolitan.

Leafs has made a horrible mistake bu thinking that couple of name-guys with high salary will lead the team high. Its BS.

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Lol, Leafs is in such ****ty cap hit situation that half of the players will be some ELCers and I have already given my frecast in Leafs board: Toronto won't be even a PO team next year.
The Leafs will look vastly different next year...lots of top flight talnet, but not much else...Tampa will also be in tough, but noting like the Leafs.
Get the popcorn.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Lol, Leafs is in such ****ty cap hit situation that half of the players will be some ELCers and I have already given my frecast in Leafs board: Toronto won't be even a PO team next year.

Edit: see islanders. They got rid of tavares as beeing one of the worst teams and got as new filppula, komarov and lehner + some D. And now leading metropolitan.

Leafs has made a horrible mistake bu thinking that couple of name-guys with high salary will lead the team high. Its BS.

You’re trying way too hard to get a reaction.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
The Leafs will look vastly different next year...lots of top flight talnet, but not much else...Tampa will also be in tough, but noting like the Leafs.
Get the popcorn.

Assuming the absolute worst the Leafs will get weaker on the wing that’s about it. Their centers will still be elite, they might lose Gardiner on defense , their goalie situation is at the very least above average with Andersen.

Worse case scenario they lose Gardiner, Kapanen and Johnsson. That’s really not that different. It’s also unlikely that they don’t bring back at least one of Kapanen and Johnsson. Why do you think that will be that different? Their entire core will remain intact.

Reactions: SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat

Sep 23, 2008
South River

This is a good example of why you shouldn’t post when drunk...

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

That's a prediction you are more than likely to lose. If you aren't aware Toronto has quite a few players who are more than ready for NHL duty in the organization already. See what you are predicting, it's exactly what a lot of non-Leaf fans were saying just 4 months ago when they literally said "but but but Tavares can't replace JVR + Bozak + Komarov + Martin's goals". Leaf fans pointed out that Kapanen and Johnsson would finally start getting regular minutes and if they didn't quite replace all those goals would make up for it on the other end by being better defensively. Now we were told there was no way that would happen. Fast forward 4 months and Johnsson and Kapanen have basically scored as many goals as those four combined in about 70 less games played for over $16 M less in cap hit AND improved the team defense. Oh and there's that guy Tavares bringing in an extra 40 - 50 goals on top of that. Even better yet, now we are listening to fans talk about how Matthews gets to play with amazing players like Kapanen who are due for $7 M contracts. In short, as is usual with HF Boards, non-Leaf fans are generally TERRIBLE at assessing Leaf players then turn on a dime when they are wrong and go to the other extreme.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Sure but blame the fans more than him. The guy knew how to win but he also knew how to maximize profits of a fan base that would support them win or lose. He was forcing guys off the team who wanted more money. Why pay more money out when you sell out regardless? Sure the guy is a slime all we all know that but he took advantage of a very loyal fan base. You know what the turning point of this franchise was? When we fought back, threw waffles and jerseys on the ice. That's stuff fans in the 80s wouldn't do.

Uh no, I will hold HIM responsible for HIS actions.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Yep. They've made the mistake of building their team on the Pens/Caps/Blackhawks model of building around expensive stars and moving out depth pieces as needed when they should be focused on building like the Islanders. They'll regret it, for sure.

Reactions: Rants Mulliniks

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Assuming the absolute worst the Leafs will get weaker on the wing that’s about it. Their centers will still be elite, they might lose Gardiner on defense , their goalie situation is at the very least above average with Andersen.

Worse case scenario they lose Gardiner, Kapanen and Johnsson. That’s really not that different. It’s also unlikely that they don’t bring back at least one of Kapanen and Johnsson. Why do you think that will be that different? Their entire core will remain intact.
They have 11.9M in cap space, and only 14 guys signed....Marner will take 10M of that cap space, with his new 11M salary. Even if they don't ice a 23 man roster, this is going to get very tough. What is the lowest number of guys they would ice? 21 I would think.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
They have 11.9M in cap space, and only 14 guys signed....

Whenever I see people gloating over the Leafs impending cap doom I can't help but picture a bunch of people making fun of someone in a nice coat that has to go out in the rain. Jealously gleeful that it's about to get ruined. Then the guy in the coat pulls out an umbrella and they fade to slack jawed sullen silence.

Our roster isn't locked in people. We can make trades. We already have two guys on the Marlies pencilled onto the roster at 1.525 million combined

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
They have 11.9M in cap space, and only 14 guys signed....Marner will take 10M of that cap space, with his new 11M salary. Even if they don't ice a 23 man roster, this is going to get very tough. What is the lowest number of guys they would ice? 21 I would think.

Where do you get 11.9 from? The Leafs next year without the cap raising could spend almost 13 million (12.89) It will be tight, but it's not nearly the challenge people are pretending it is.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Whenever I see people gloating over the Leafs impending cap doom I can't help but picture a bunch of people making fun of someone in a nice coat that has to go out in the rain. Jealously gleeful that it's about to get ruined. Then the guy in the coat pulls out an umbrella and they fade to slack jawed sullen silence.

Our roster isn't locked in people. We can make trades. We already have two guys on the Marlies pencilled onto the roster at 1.525 million combined
Best of luck with your umbrella...hope it's a big one!! As the window has opened, it will be closing as quickly.

As for trades, who will help you out of your cap doom? Teams will not be lining up...

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Best of luck with your umbrella...hope it's a big one!! As the window has opened, it will be closing as quickly.

As for trades, who will help you out of your cap doom? Teams will not be lining up...

They won't also not make trades to punish the Leafs. If a team can get a pick or prospect included for a bad contract they will likely take it. We've seen this happen countless times, why would it stop because it's Toronto?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad