Canadian Team Executive says incompetence of Matthews Deal will affect the rest of the League

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I’m sure it has been said already but, at this number, Matthews has to maximize his potential to return value.

Not a good contract. Overpay.
He'll likely be a top 2-3 goal scorer for the duration of his contract so I'm okay wish a bit is an overpayment to keep him.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I think Matthews is overpaid, but I also think that executive is a whiny ass. Plenty of guys get too much, plenty get too little, the cap means the issue largely self-regulates. Leafs will have trouble keeping all their talent while filling out the rest of the roster, what a weird complaint: "wahh one guy arguably got too much, now my job is impossible!"

Reactions: Pyrophorus

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
He'll likely be a top 2-3 goal scorer for the duration of his contract so I'm okay wish a bit is an overpayment to keep him.
If he is top 2-3 then I agree. He will net out fair return for the contract. If he is anything less, it is an overpay.

I can’t imagine a scenario where he delivers “value” on that contract.

Of course this is all just armchair stuff. There is no way the leafs are letting that guy go.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
From what I've heard the biggest issue GMs around the league will hate the Leafs for and will want to get "payback" for is the fact they front loaded all their contracts with signing bonuses because the MLSE has a shitload of money to burn. This provides the player with a virtual buy-out proof + lockout protecting contract, something a lot of teams simply can't afford. I don't think overpaying Nylander and Matthews by $1-2m AAV is really that big of a deal.

Reactions: IlikeEich

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
By year 3 of this contract it won't even be top 10 highest value in the league, IMO.

Plus, next year is the only year that the Leafs are in a potentially negative Salary Cap situation. Once Marleau's deal expires and retention on Kessel's deal ends a year later they're laughing. That's almost $8M in free space.

Let's play What If. Say the NHL has another lockout in two years. That'll likely be followed by another round of compliance buyouts due to whatever changes come to salary and contract negotiating. Bye Bye Zaitsev.

I hope nobody believes Leafs management is dumb enough to mortgage their future over a short term problem.

Last edited:

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
From what I've heard the biggest issue GMs around the league will hate the Leafs for and will want to get "payback" for is the fact they front loaded all their contracts with signing bonuses because the MLSE has a ****load of money to burn. This provides the player with a virtual buy-out proof + lockout protecting contract, something a lot of teams simply can't afford. I don't think overpaying Nylander and Matthews by $1-2m AAV is really that big of a deal.

Since this is against the spirit of the cap, why have it?

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
By year 3 of this contract it won't even be top 10 highest value in the league, IMO.

Plus, next year is the only year that the Leafs are in a potentially negative Salary Cap situation. Once Marleau's deal expires and retention on Kessel's deal ends a year later they're laughing. That's almost $8M in free space.

Let's play What If. Say the NHL has another lockout in two years. That'll likely be followed by another round of compliance buyouts due to whatever changes come to salary and contract negotiating. Bye Bye Zaitsev.

I hope nobody believes Leafs management is dumb enough to mortgage their future over a short term problem.

Kessel's 1.2m retention ends after the 21-22 season according to CapFriendly so it has 3 years remaining after this season.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
how? by not making the playoffs? how are these deals going to be best contracts when the team fails to reach playoffs?

So if McDavid signed for league minimum, it still wouldn’t be a steal if they don’t make the playoffs? Yes there’s a lot of issues with that team, but saying a contract isn’t good because the team as a whole isn’t better just doesn’t make sense

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
One thing working in Winnpeg's favour is having their star RFA performing at a worse pace than either of Nylander's 2nd or 3rd years during his ELC year as opposed to Toronto's RFAs who flirt with top 10 in the league for production during theirs.

Nylander was flirting with top 10?

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
If he is top 2-3 then I agree. He will net out fair return for the contract. If he is anything less, it is an overpay.

I can’t imagine a scenario where he delivers “value” on that contract.

Of course this is all just armchair stuff. There is no way the leafs are letting that guy go.
I think he can especially since AO is aging, though it hasn't shown yet.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Don’t sign Gardiner
Don’t sign Kapanen
Don’t sign Johnson
Don’t sign Hainsey
Trade Zaitsev
Trade Kadri

Nylander moving is an option. But there are others
Johnsson and Kapanen can be signed and we don’t have to trade Kadri or Nylander. Lots of options for us.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->