Canadian Team Executive says incompetence of Matthews Deal will affect the rest of the League

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
You missed what I said.

I'll re-word it.

If the players didn't care about the money and max contracts and actually wanted to play hockey and win they would settle for less money each to get a winning team.

Cause there is ZERO reason a hockey player should make the money they do.

Pro athletes have short careers. They need to maximize their earnings in that time. If they get injured or start playing bad they’ll lose millions.

Reactions: King Mapes

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
The cap didn't exist from 1967 to 2004. That's 37 years of failure with no cap to blame (not to mention the disastrous 2004 - 2018 period) which taken together makes up 51 years of total haplessness.

The Leafs haven't won a championship in the post-moon landing era or since the VCR was invented. Probably the worst big market franchise in all of sports and certainly no damn Yankees. :shakehead

The Leafs never actually started spending money until almost the mid 90's.

If you are too young to know otherwise, I suggest you look up possibly the worst sports owner in sports prior to that. Not just a bad owner but a slimeball of a human being.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Playing with McDavid vs Playing on a team that is an offensive juggernaut.
What's the difference?
If any I would say Mathews has the slight advantage.
Players develop at different paces and comparing Mathews to Leon is no slight on him. Leon isn't a great skater but he's a terrific player.

I think Mathews has another level and perhaps a higher ceiling but he needs to stay healthy.
I see a lot of potential with Mathews and think talent wise he easily passes Draisatl and even Marner.
Mathews skill level is undeniable. He should be the best player on the Leafs and top 10 talent in the NHL.

The difference quite obviously is who you play with. It's great say "OMG Toronto has Tavares and Marner" but it means nothing if you are rarely playing with those guys.

Again, his two most common linemates this year are Kapanen and Johnsson. In previous years it was Hyman, Brown and Nylander.

I really can't even comprehend how you can ask such a question?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Incompetence of Chirelli is more likely to effect the League. Lucic on his contract is FAR worse. Draisaitl Draisaitl continued the trend, although not as bad. Beyond the Oilers there is that $10M goalie with what, 7 years left? And the $10M player who has never cracked 40 goals with 8 years left?

I get it, you hate the Leafs, but this is pretty sad even for you.

Preach bro!

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Make more money and quit your whining.

Cap will go up and the food stamp teams will continue to toil in mediocrity.

if the cap keeps going up on average of 4 million every year;

in 5 years cap would have risen 20 million; and I expect the teams who set upper limit on spending very close to the cap floor are probably going to go bankcrupt or move to a different city

Reactions: BM14

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
McDavid signed a team friendly deal so why would the team have waited. I’m saying Matthews wanted more than he should have got so the team should’ve used more time to negotiate.

This is my opinion, I’m not an NHL GM and I like to think Dubas knows what he’s doing but it’s pretty hard to wrap my head around why he would’ve given Matthews this deal. Seems totally unnecessary based on what Matthews has accomplished and all conparables.
It's obvious you don't like Matthews contract. However the way you think McDavid's was team friendly despite being the highest AAV of any player in the NHL and he was willing to sign it at that time, both Dubas and Matthews were comfortable with him signing his extension now and not later on.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Lou Lam is responsible for Toronto's two legitimately bad (non-market value) contracts, the two that will actually press them next season.
Plus for everyone who says Matthews would not have got the same deal if he was still the Leafs GM, he was un able to get William Nylander to sign his extension 1 year before he became an RFA in July 2017.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
highly doubt teams that know how to pay rfa's like Calgary and Winnipeg will be influenced by a rookie g.m.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Lou was also bashed by non Leafs fans for the Matt Martin signing, although it's funny now that was seen as a good move when he traded for him so he could play with the Islanders again. I wonder what the reason for that is? :sarcasm:
Lol true. I'm sure people also think Leo Komarov getting 3million a year is a good contract as well.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Lol true. I'm sure people also think Leo Komarov getting 3million a year is a good contract as well.
That's true and in the end everyone who hated Lou being the Leafs GM all of the sudden loves him now that he's the Islanders President & GM. When Shanahan hired him he was called too old and the game has passed him by, however when the Islanders hired him there was non of that same talk.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Im convinced OP is secret leafs fan because all this guy talks about is the Leafs.

Straight up obsessed.

Mar 26, 2010
Tavares’ contract is fine and yes, he’s a trmendous player.

All I said was that McDavid is on a great contract and for whatever reason you felt the need to chime in and say “And Tavares salary is less, and bad yet” as if comparing Tavares and McDavid is at all relevant or that the two of them are somehow comparable in any way. It isn’t, and they aren’t.
I agree, just like the Edmonton Oilers are not comparable in any way to Toronto. It isn’t, and they aren’t.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->