Canadian Team Executive says incompetence of Matthews Deal will affect the rest of the League

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Insane deals on our star players. I'll take it.

I love how AM is an insane deal yet we kept being told Arizona would sign him to a franchise altering 15 mill a year deal. Besides AM list the "insane deals".

Don't say Nylander. That's market value.
It's funny how others on here wanted to see Matthews sign a maximum offer sheet with Arizona and complain about the actual contract he signs with Toronto.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Well if it's over two seasons, I would assume that is more normal than the last 20 games, no? I love the logic though.

Taking the "my player with clearly unsustainable numbers can definitely sustain them" stance while also making a quip about logic.

Bold strategy.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
lol. leaf fans continue to defend the contract. seems like a lot of them have no idea what term is and how that affects the contract value, that this contract only bought 1 ufa year, and compared to recent comparables (mcdavid/eichel) it doesn't make sense.
Seems like a lot of non Leaf fans care greatly about their cap situation but fail to realize elite goal scorers get paid more than other players.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Seems like a lot of non Leaf fans care greatly about their cap situation but fail to realize elite goal scorers get paid more than other players.
Those same non Leafs fans wanted Matthews and now Marner to sign offer sheets hoping it will screw their cap situation. So basically they would have had no problem if Matthews signed the exact same deal via an offer sheet.

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Those same non Leafs fans wanted Matthews and now Marner to sign offer sheets hoping it will screw their cap situation. So basically they would have had no problem if Matthews signed the exact same deal via an offer sheet.
He was supposed to sign 15 mill a year to Arizona that's the best part. Arizona was being sent to screw the Leafs.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

HalfLife

Jan 29, 2019
Toronto
It's a bad deal. I'm not sure why we, as leafs fans, keep denying it. It doesn't make you less of a fan if you disagree with your front office's transactions.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
So players play 140 game seasons? Jesus.

McDavid missed more time his first 3 years. You realize that right?

22 games prior to the 20 game funk. 62 games last season. I'm pretty sure 84 games is pretty close to what players play in a season...

Matthews' 5v5 onSH% during those 84 games was 12.91%. The highest in the league by 1.05%.

To illustrate how astronomically high that is, Ovechkin is sitting at 8th(with a 500 toi min) during that span with 11.11%. He's as close to the 71st highest player(Eric Staal at 9.31%) as he is Matthews.

Like I said, you've taken an interesting stance, but you won't be the first or last fan of a player with blatantly unsustainable numbers to condescendingly argue that their player is different than all those before him.

HalfLife

Jan 29, 2019
Toronto
Oh how mighty Dumbass the god has fallen! LOL.

For anyone wanting to bring up Draisaitl, let me know when Matthews ever gets 70 points or cracks the top 20 in scoring in his career, or makes the 2nd round of the playoffs before you bring up players with a better resume.

That avatar makes you seem like a petty person, brother. Why troll when you can be a nice guy?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He was supposed to sign 15 mill a year to Arizona that's the best part. Arizona was being sent to screw the Leafs.
I also heard he was supposed to sign an offer sheet with the Islanders because Lou Lamoriello wanted revenge for Tavares going to Toronto, even though they forget he was a UFA and was free to sign with whatever team wanted to.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
It's a bad deal. I'm not sure why we, as leafs fans, keep denying it. It doesn't make you less of a fan if you disagree with your front office's transactions.
since your new i'll let in on a little secret

the only way to be a true Leaf fan is to spin/deflect/defend every move the team makes especially now that the the greatest hockey mind in the history of game is our GM

on the Leaf board AM's deal is trying to be spun as team friendly , lol

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
22 games prior to the 20 game funk. 62 games last season. I'm pretty sure 84 games is pretty close to what players play in a season...

Matthews' 5v5 onSH% during those 84 games was 12.91%. The highest in the league by 1.05%.

To illustrate how astronomically high that is, Ovechkin is sitting at 8th(with a 500 toi min) during that span with 11.11%. He's as close to the 71st highest player(Eric Staal at 9.31%) as he is Matthews.

Like I said, you've taken an interesting stance, but you won't be the first or last fan of a player with blatantly unsustainable numbers to condescendingly argue that their player is different than all those before him.
Well you said 2 seasons so I was assuming you actually meant 2 seasons. Regardless you won't be the first or last who will point to an 84 game sample size and say that's not the real player, it's a hot streak and point to a much smaller sample size (20 games) and say that's the real player and not a funk.

Because logic.

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Oh how mighty Dumbass the god has fallen! LOL.

For anyone wanting to bring up Draisaitl, let me know when Matthews ever gets 70 points or cracks the top 20 in scoring in his career, or makes the 2nd round of the playoffs before you bring up players with a better resume.
Because Draisaitl is in an ideal situation :laugh:

Let me know when Drai finishes second in goals. See I can do that too.

Also this:

Leon Draisaitl first 3 years

191 GP
50 goals
87 assists
137 points

Matthews first 3 years (so far)

186 games
99 goals
83 assists
182 points

Last edited:

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I also heard he was supposed to sign an offer sheet with the Islanders because Lou Lamoriello wanted revenge for Tavares going to Toronto, even though they forget he was a UFA and was free to sign with whatever team wanted to.
Fertile imagination at work here.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Well you said 2 seasons so I was assuming you actually meant 2 seasons. Regardless you won't be the first or last who will point to an 84 game sample size and say that's not the real player, it's a hot streak and point to a much smaller sample size (20 games) and say that's the real player and not a funk.

Because logic.

Aren't 2017/18 and 2018/19 two seasons?

I never said this 20 game funk was the real player. I said his onSH% was starting to normalize.

And what's with another ironic quip about logic? You actually think the "real player" being the one who has numbers that have literally never been sustained by any player ever is the logical stance?

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Aren't 2017/18 and 2018/19 two seasons?

I never said this 20 game funk was the real player. I said his onSH% was starting to normalize.

And what's with another ironic quip about logic? You actually think the "real player" being the one who has numbers that have literally never been sustained by any player ever is the logical stance?
I'm saying an 84 game sample size is not a small sample size.

And sure but you said 84 games is like a full year to players but fail to realize this season still has quite a few games left. So which player has played close to 84 games this year?

Reactions: Yackiberg8

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Because Draisaitl is in an ideal situation :laugh:

Let me know when Drai finishes second in goals. See I can do that too.

Also this:

Leon Draisaitl first 3 years

191 GP
50 goals
87 assists
137 points

Matthews first 3 years (so far)

186 games
99 goals
83 assists
182 points
Never mind all the 5v5 goals Matthews scored in his rookie season, because I believe he lead the league in that category for a while well into his second season.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'm saying an 84 game sample size is not a small sample size.

And sure but you said 84 games is like a full year to players but fail to realize this season still has quite a few games left. So which player has played close to 84 games this year?

That's the same argument that people made about every player who proved to have had a season with unsustainable numbers.

And what? I'm not sure what the remaining games left in this season has to do with the statement that 84 games is pretty close to what most players play in a season. The point to bringing up the 84 games was to show he did it over a very similar sample size to all the players before him.

Last edited:

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
I’m sure it has been said already but, at this number, Matthews has to maximize his potential to return value.

Not a good contract. Overpay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad