Canadian Team Executive says incompetence of Matthews Deal will affect the rest of the League

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Best of luck with your umbrella...hope it's a big one!! As the window has opened, it will be closing as quickly.

As for trades, who will help you out of your cap doom? Teams will not be lining up...

Teams will act in their own best interest. Their objective is winning, not getting their jollies with Leafs misfortune.
We will not return all 5 of Brown/Kadri/Johnsson/Kapanen/Zaitsev. We will get appropriate value for whichever ones don't come back.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Teams will act in their own best interest. Their objective is winning, not getting their jollies with Leafs misfortune.
We will not return all 5 of Brown/Kadri/Johnsson/Kapanen/Zaitsev. We will get appropriate value for whichever ones don't come back.

I truly don't understand where this idea comes from that GM's won't make trades to punish the Leafs. It's absolutely asinine and has never happened before.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
5 years @ $11.63M AAV is conservatively equal to ~$15M AAV on an 8 year contract. The Leafs effectively made Matthews the highest paid player in the sport. Marner's camp says they expect to be paid somewhere near Matthews whether he signs for 5 years or more. The Leafs can offer him Eichel's 8 year $10M AAV contract and if Marner truly feels he needs to be paid close to Matthews then he'll laugh at the offer.

Is Matthews a 40% better player than Eichel? Nope, he's maybe a 10% better player and Marner as great as he is I doubt is valued around the league as much as Eichel due to position.

The Leafs are overpaying Matthews and if Marner is serious they will have to overpay Marner too and that isn't good for other GM's who have to negotiate with their players who are similar in age and production.

Last edited:

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I truly don't understand where this idea comes from that GM's won't make trades to punish the Leafs. It's absolutely asinine and has never happened before.

I also love how the "xx dollars for xx roster spots" completely ignores that we've got two locked down for 1.525 combined (Moore and Rosen), Sparks and Ozhiganov who aren't likely to break 2 million combined.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
They won't also not make trades to punish the Leafs. If a team can get a pick or prospect included for a bad contract they will likely take it. We've seen this happen countless times, why would it stop because it's Toronto?

Answered your own question (well in the minds of some).

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Yep. They've made the mistake of building their team on the Pens/Caps/Blackhawks model of building around expensive stars and moving out depth pieces as needed when they should be focused on building like the Islanders. They'll regret it, for sure.

Everybody knows a team full of 28+ year olds playing systems hockey is the wave of future dynasties!

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
I don't think it's going to have that big an impact on any teams besides the Leafs. League comps come into play but I think team contracts have way more of an impact.

A few years ago everyone thought the Drasaitl contract was going to throw everything out of wack but Pastrnak signed for a super reasonable contract. Probably in part because they point to Bergeron and Marchand rather than Draisatl.

It's going to screw up Marner's contract but I doubt it makes that big an impact league wide. Point's contract will probably be the test. But Tampa has the same advantage of Boston as saying Kucherov doesn't even make 10 million - you can take 8-9 or whatever.

Reactions: nturn06

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
What is the saying, they don't throw you a life jacket, more like an anchor. It will be interesting how it all unfolds.

I don't think they will be trying to help the Leafs but it seems like people think they will intentionally hurt the Leafs. GM's will make a trade that benefits them, sometimes getting a pick and prospect for a bad a contract is good for their team. It won't be a life jacket or an anchor is my position.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Matthews has 50 points in 42 games, a 98 point pace for an 82 game schedule. Even after missing 14 games, his PPG average predicts he'll hit 81 points and 40 goals this season. All this even though he's been in a funk lately.

#incompetence

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
What is the saying, they don't throw you a life jacket, more like an anchor. It will be interesting how it all unfolds.

There really isn’t much evidence that GMs around the league are willing to enter into collusion to punish one of their own. Certainly doesn’t seem to be much evidence in league history to support that notion.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
5 years @ $11.63M AAV is conservatively equal to ~$15M AAV on an 8 year contract. The Leafs effectively made Matthews the highest paid player in the sport. Marner's camp says they expect to be paid somewhere near Matthews whether he signs for 5 years or more. The Leafs can offer him Eichel's 8 year $10M AAV contract and if Marner truly feels he needs to be paid close to Matthews then he'll laugh at the offer.

Is Matthews a 40% better player than Eichel? Nope, he's maybe a 10% better player and Marner as great as he is I doubt is valued around the league as much as Eichel due to position.

The Leafs are overpaying Matthews and if Marner is serious they will have to overpay Marner too and that isn't good for other GM's who have to negotiate with their players who are similar in age and production.

Except they didn’t give him that contract, it was one you just made up.

In terms of total contract value he’s nowhere close to the highest in league history. Nor is his aav the highest:

Reactions: Mitchy

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
There really isn’t much evidence that GMs around the league are willing to enter into collusion to punish one of their own. Certainly doesn’t seem to be much evidence in league history to support that notion.
Of course not............they will treat the leafs the same way they treat the other teams.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Lol, Leafs is in such ****ty cap hit situation that half of the players will be some ELCers and I have already given my frecast in Leafs board: Toronto won't be even a PO team next year.

Edit: see islanders. They got rid of tavares as beeing one of the worst teams and got as new filppula, komarov and lehner + some D. And now leading metropolitan.

Leafs has made a horrible mistake bu thinking that couple of name-guys with high salary will lead the team high. Its BS.
I remember Islanders fans who were convinced that Tavares was going to re-sign with them and thought it was all but official once they hired Lou Lamoriello. So don't give me this crap that they wanted to get rid of him.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Matthews has 50 points in 42 games, a 98 point pace for an 82 game schedule. Even after missing 14 games, his PPG average predicts he'll hit 81 points and 40 goals this season. All this even though he's been in a funk lately.

#incompetence

Has he been in a funk or is his astronomically high onSH% from the last two seasons starting to normalize?

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Lol, Leafs is in such ****ty cap hit situation that half of the players will be some ELCers and I have already given my frecast in Leafs board: Toronto won't be even a PO team next year.

Edit: see islanders. They got rid of tavares as beeing one of the worst teams and got as new filppula, komarov and lehner + some D. And now leading metropolitan.

Leafs has made a horrible mistake bu thinking that couple of name-guys with high salary will lead the team high. Its BS.
They aren't going to be a playoff team next year? That's a bold claim considering they are close to the top of the league now and won't be losing any significant pieces for next year that can't be replaced with higher potential young players. Their cap situation is no worse then Winnipeg's or Tampa's yet no one talks about how f***ed they are

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
lol. leaf fans continue to defend the contract. seems like a lot of them have no idea what term is and how that affects the contract value, that this contract only bought 1 ufa year, and compared to recent comparables (mcdavid/eichel) it doesn't make sense.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
They aren't going to be a playoff team next year? That's a bold claim considering they are close to the top of the league now and won't be losing any significant pieces for next year that can't be replaced with higher potential young players. Their cap situation is no worse then Winnipeg's or Tampa's yet no one talks about how ****ed they are
That's because when the Toronto media with the exception of other people like Bryan Hayes or Jeff O'Neil who are not shy about being Leafs fans, know that if the Leafs get negative attention about their salary cap it will create more headlines since Toronto is the biggest market in the NHL. It was only around 2-3 weeks ago when they were talking about offer sheets to Matthews and Marner, when O'Neil finally said enough of that crap and used the salary cap situations of Tampa Bay and Winnipeg since no one mentions them.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Same thing is happening with baseball FA. The focus on analytics and bang for the buck tells teams not to overpay and join the bidding war for in-their-prime FAs as the fall off is generally sharper than the incline to the prime. So hypothetically, if a 23-26 year old is juuuust before the prime years (27-30 for argument's sake), this pre-primer will still be a better producer analytically for the team than the post-primer 31-34 year old, even though they are the same distance away from their prime.

So knowing this, teams will throw big money at RFAs (Matthews) who they deem worthy, and less money at UFAs who are approaching the big three oh, no surprises.

Teams who are poor at drafting will still try to make the big FA splash to keep their fans interested and vested, but the smarter teams will pay their own young stars early. In the end you pay more for the pre-prime days so that you don't have to overpay for post-prime days.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Soo: Don't worry Leafs fans with Dubas signing insane deals, the previous GM did good ;)
Insane deals on our star players. I'll take it.

I love how AM is an insane deal yet we kept being told Arizona would sign him to a franchise altering 15 mill a year deal. Besides AM list the "insane deals".

Don't say Nylander. That's market value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad