Canadian Team Executive says incompetence of Matthews Deal will affect the rest of the League

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
How much of Tampa Bay's success if them using their no state tax advantage when re-signing their own players?

As for Chicago and Pittsburgh at least they have shown you can lock core pieces despite the salary cap. With the Penguins it's Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Kessel. With the Blackhawks it's Kane, Toews and Keith.
Arent the Leafs supposed to be the richest team that could make salaries less because of endorsments? Thats what i heard from Leafs fans before the Nylander contract because they were bragging about how they are so rich and are gonna keep the average down with things like bonuses and stuff. The Tampa players just took discounts to stay and the Leafs players didnt its as simple as that. The hype got to them.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Arent the Leafs supposed to be the richest team that could make salaries less because of endorsments? Thats what i heard from Leafs fans before the Nylander contract because they were bragging about how they are so rich and are gonna keep the average down with things like bonuses and stuff. The Tampa players just took discounts to stay and the Leafs players didnt its as simple as that. The hype got to them.
The Leafs being a rich team is why Dubas was able to give those signing bonuses to Tavares and Matthews. So don't be surprised when the same thing happens when Marner signs his new contract with them. Hell that's the whole reason for this thread.

As for Tampa we are lead to believe their players re-signed because of their no state tax advantage .

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The Leafs being a rich team is why Dubas was able to give those signing bonuses to Tavares and Matthews. So don't be surprised when the same thing happens when Marner signs his new contract with them. Hell that's the whole reason for this thread.

As for Tampa we are lead to believe their players re-signed because of their no state tax advantage .

Is that how they've been trying to spin it on Leafs Lunch or something?

I've heard this signing bonus stuff a few times on here now. There's literally no difference in pay if it's signing bonus or salary outside lockout protection.

You don't have to be a rich team to give out big signing bonuses with low salary.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

I've heard this signing bonus stuff a few times on here now. There's literally no difference in pay if it's signing bonus or salary outside lockout protection.

You don't have to be a rich team to give out big signing bonuses with low salary.
So what other reason besides not wanting to give out bonuses is this specifc Canadian team executive not happy with the way Matthews contract was structured? No matter if you like Matthews contract or hate it Kyle Dubas did nothing illegal or anything considered to be cap circumvention and in the end Dubas should only care about the Maple Leafs, not what other teams might think.

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016

also you just know that the league wants parity. the salary cap proves it.

the league and the players will agree to more salary restraints.

front loaded deals have already been eliminated for the most part.

I believe cash signing bonuses will also be limited.

perhaps a % limit on salary cap.

there will be limited advantage to income tax benefits and salaries paid in signing bonuses.

the nhl is fighting for parity throughout the league

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
So what other reason besides not wanting to give out bonuses is this specifc Canadian team executive not happy with the way Matthews contract was structured? No matter if you like Matthews contract or hate it Kyle Dubas did nothing illegal or anything considered to be cap circumvention and in the end Dubas should only care about the Maple Leafs, not what other teams might think.

Is there another article about that?

The only thing in the OP's article close to that is:
"One respected Canadian team executive I reached out to referred to the “incompetence” of the deal interfering with the framework the rest of the league’s executives will have to work with moving forward."

No mention of signing bonuses and you'd really have to stretch it to say that's what he's alluding to.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

"One respected Canadian team executive I reached out to referred to the “incompetence” of the deal interfering with the framework the rest of the league’s executives will have to work with moving forward."

No mention of signing bonuses and you'd really have to stretch it to say that's what he's alluding to.
So far I have not seen any other stories about this with the exception to what the OP has linked on page 1.

I'm assuming this executive of whatever Canadian team he works for is upset about the bonus structure of Matthews contract, because why would they care that he only re-signed for 5 years since he can possibly become a UFA when his new contract is finished.

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016

I think it had more to do with how dubas handled nylander.

the jets were in the same position with trouba.

he also held out after his elc and is still going for yearly arbitration awards till free agency.

dubas folded and gave nylander what he wanted.

he again folded and gave Matthews what he wanted.

chevy did not fold to trouba. proving to other young players that the team is larger than any individual player.

that is the position you negotiate from. not folding to 20 year old players.

I know which policy I would follow if it were my team

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
So far I have not seen any other stories about this with the exception to what the OP has linked on page 1.

I'm assuming this executive of whatever Canadian team he works for is upset about the bonus structure of Matthews contract, because why would they care that he only re-signed for 5 years since he can possibly become a UFA when his new contract is finished.

Like you said, it isn't the first contract like that(Tavares).

I'd assume GMs were pretty happy with the 8 year deals that basically everyone was getting. The majority of them are already looking extremely team-friendly and there's still quite a few years left on them.

I think the exec is simply just referring to paying a premium on shorter contracts post-ELC and that likely shifting to the norm. The likelihood of GMs losing their own players that way probably outweighs the possibility of them signing Matthews at the end of his contract.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Like you said, it isn't the first contract like that(Tavares).

I'd assume GMs were pretty happy with the 8 year deals that basically everyone was getting. The majority of them are already looking extremely team-friendly and there's still quite a few years left on them.

I think the exec is simply just referring to paying a premium on shorter contracts post-ELC and that likely shifting to the norm. The likelihood of GMs losing their own players that way probably outweighs the possibility of them signing Matthews at the end of his contract.
The only thing I can say to that is this. The other teams with upcoming RFA's like Tampa Bay should have signed Brayden Point for example before Matthews signed his contract extension. Maybe he and the others wanted to wait and see if Matthews signed first to see if that would possibly set the market, however their GM's should have done a better job of convincing them to sign their extensions before Matthews did. So in the end that's not Kyle Dubas fault.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
McDavid contract and Draisatl contract are going to look like bargains compared to JT and Mathews.
They ALREADY are huge bargains

People see Chiaturd building a bad team around them and just look at them like they are part of the problem.

Absolute steal of contracts. Only good thing he did lol.

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
The only thing I can say to that is this. The other teams with upcoming RFA's like Tampa Bay should have signed Brayden Point for example before Matthews signed his contract extension. Maybe he and the others wanted to wait and see if Matthews signed first to see if that would possibly set the market, however their GM's should have done a better job of convincing them to sign their extensions before Matthews did. So in the end that's not Kyle Dubas fault.

signing other teams rfa's before nylander or Matthews is not the point.

a gm folding to players contract demands hurts the whole league in contract negotiations.

a good example is the trouba contract in Winnipeg.

he is a very good defenceman that any team would want.

but he will play in Winnipeg at the teams terms, not his agents.

how many young players are going to feel they deserve Matthews money?

after all....he is a 70 pt centre that has trouble playing a full season.

but good luck going forward after the marner contract.

40 mil of the cap wrapped up in 4 forwards...….lol

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
You forgot the 11.6 million dollar player with the shortest term of them all who hasnt cracked 70 points yet.

This is completely intellectually dishonest, but I'm not surprised.

Matthews put up 69 points in his rookie season, then 63 points in 62 games last year, and has 47 in 41 this year.

Saying he's not a 70-point player just proves that you can count, but not extrapolate.

83-point pace last year, 94-point pace this year. He's a hell of a player and the fact you need to go to such lengths to tear him down says a lot about you. Get lost.

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016

Matthews put up 69 points in his rookie season, then 63 points in 62 games last year, and has 47 in 41 this year.

Saying he's not a 70-point player just proves that you can count, but not extrapolate.

83-point pace last year, 94-point pace this year. He's a hell of a player and the fact you need to go to such lengths to tear him down says a lot about you. Get lost.

that is just BS.

your value is what you provide over a whole season.

on pace for is just an excuse.

hockey is a tough game. if you cannot play the whole season your 40 pts in 40 games does not mean you would score 80 in 80.

you need to play the games and not be out over minor shoulder checks

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
Incompetence of Chirelli is more likely to effect the League. Lucic on his contract is FAR worse. Draisaitl Draisaitl continued the trend, although not as bad. Beyond the Oilers there is that $10M goalie with what, 7 years left? And the $10M player who has never cracked 40 goals with 8 years left?

I get it, you hate the Leafs, but this is pretty sad even for you.

Draisaitl deal >>> Nylander deal

...bro

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

I can not wait until Matthews gets at least 70 points this season so crap comments about him never getting that number can finally end. Although I bet if he finished with 79 points those same people would bash him for not getting 80 points. So when @flamesforcup brings up Matthews not registering 70 points they are using it as some arbitrary number.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017

Whats the point of the bonus advantage when it doesnt give you any discount on the average? Leafs gave the bonus and overpaid.

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
I can not wait until Matthews gets at least 70 points this season so crap comments about him never getting that number can finally end. Although I bet if he finished with 79 points those same people would bash him for not getting 80 points. So when @flamesforcup brings up Matthews not registering 70 points they are using it as some arbitrary number.

that is just garbage.

the fact is that he has never broken 70 pts.

spin it any way you want.

he has proven he cannot play a full season.

we are not even in the playoffs yet and he has shown when opposing teams like to play hard hitting he vanishes

so please explain to me why he should be anywhere close to McDavid money

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
that is just garbage.

the fact is that he has never broken 70 pts.

spin it any way you want.

he has proven he cannot play a full season.

we are not even in the playoffs yet and he has shown when opposing teams like to play hard hitting he vanishes

so please explain to me why he should be anywhere close to McDavid money
In Matthews rookie season he played all 82 games and scored 40 goals.

So your response only proves that Leafs haters like yourself only want to focus on Matthews not yet getting 70 points and forgetting that he played all 82 games during his rookie season, when he scored those 40 goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad