Canadian Team Executive says incompetence of Matthews Deal will affect the rest of the League

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
here is another little point for you to ruminate on.

patrik laine scored 18 goals in the month of November.

so that means he is on pace, in a 7 month season, to score 126 goals.

would you think that is reasonable the way you want to extrapolate Matthews production?

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
In Matthews rookie season he played all 82 games and scored 40 goals.

So your response only proves that Leafs haters like yourself only want to focus on Matthews not yet getting 70 points and forgetting that he played all 82 games during his rookie season, when he scored those 40 goals.

and 69 total points.

so what is your point.

he still is an 11.6 mil a year player that has yet to break 70 pts.

and has an injury history for a young man

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
The only thing I can say to that is this. The other teams with upcoming RFA's like Tampa Bay should have signed Brayden Point for example before Matthews signed his contract extension. Maybe he and the others wanted to wait and see if Matthews signed first to see if that would possibly set the market, however their GM's should have done a better job of convincing them to sign their extensions before Matthews did. So in the end that's not Kyle Dubas fault.

What? That makes no sense.

If Dubas signs an extension that drastically alters (see: ruins) the framework of other RFA deals because it is surprisingly against the grain, both in how things were expected to go and how things had operated prior, then it's a lot more reasonable to put part of that change at his feet than it is to suggest that other teams should have been operating their crystal balls and had their players sign before Matthews if they didn't like how it was going to turn out.

Just how were they going to do that, anyway, without offering similar player-friendly deals? Contract negotiation isn't a race, it's a waiting game, so that's no guarantee either since you just let their agent know by caving in so early that he can probably work another couple million off of you by June, but let's say they sign. Great contract for the player, would basically have to be.

Uh oh, Leafs Nation. Matthews was setting the market here, that appears to be the general consensus. Well a team just signed their slightly worse RFA to a huge deal, just to "save money" and beat Matthews/Toronto to the punch. Can you even imagine what Matthews' demands are going to look like then?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
and 69 total points.

so what is your point.

he still is an 11.6 mil a year player that has yet to break 70 pts.

and has an injury history for a young man
You said Matthews has never played a full season in the NHL and he played all 82 games during his rookie season. So it means you were 100% wrong about that.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
What? That makes no sense.

If Dubas signs an extension that drastically alters (see: ruins) the framework of other RFA deals because it is surprisingly against the grain, both in how things were expected to go and how things had operated prior, then it's a lot more reasonable to put part of that change at his feet than it is to suggest that other teams should have been operating their crystal balls and had their players sign before Matthews if they didn't like how it was going to turn out.

Just how were they going to do that, anyway, without offering similar player-friendly deals? Contract negotiation isn't a race, it's a waiting game, so that's no guarantee either since you just let their agent know by caving in so early that he can probably work another couple million off of you by June, but let's say they sign. Great contract for the player, would basically have to be.

Uh oh, Leafs Nation. Matthews was setting the market here, that appears to be the general consensus. Well a team just signed their slightly worse RFA to a huge deal, just to "save money" and beat Matthews/Toronto to the punch. Can you even imagine what Matthews' demands are going to look like then?
Just because we have seen other players like McDavid, Eichel and Draisaitl sign 8 year extensions coming off their ELC deals, there was no rule saying Kyle Dubas had to give Matthews the same amount of term on his next contract. In the past other high profile players like Crosby, Stamkos, Kane and Toews all signed 5 year contracts after their ELC deals, so Matthews doing that is nothing new. It just had not happened in a while.

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
and just like you all like to call laine a one trick pony that the teams have figured out.

Matthews is also a one trick pony and the whole league has figured out if you hit him he gets injured or vanishes

not my fault you cannot see the irony

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
that is just BS.

your value is what you provide over a whole season.

on pace for is just an excuse.

hockey is a tough game. if you cannot play the whole season your 40 pts in 40 games does not mean you would score 80 in 80.

you need to play the games and not be out over minor shoulder checks

What’s BS is using injuries to discredit a player who, when he’s out there, is one of the most talented and productive players in the league.

This is like saying Bobby Orr wasn’t one of the greatest offensive defencemen ever because he never even broke 1000 points.

If you’re so hung up on sample sizes, how’s this: in 185 games Auston Matthews has 179 points for a 0.97 points-per-game, which is a full-season pace of 79 points a year.

I guess the argument switches here to say “2.5 seasons don’t matter, he’s gotta do it in 1 season”.

Intellectual dishonesty.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Just because we have seen other players like McDavid, Eichel and Draisaitl sign 8 year extensions coming off their ELC deals, there was no rule saying Kyle Dubas had to give Matthews the same amount of term on his next contract. In the past other high profile players like Crosby, Stamkos, Kane and Toews all signed 5 year contracts after their ELC deals, so Matthews doing that is nothing new. It just had not happened in a while.

That's why I didn't say "a truly groundbreaking contract that had never happened before", I just said "were expected" and "prior". Longer was "expected" because of the contracts that had been signed just "prior". If that's all you have to say about what I posted you might as well just bow out because you're either not reading what other people say, or you pretty much agree that it's not ideal and you still can't stop yourself from defending the Leafs by reflex.

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
What’s BS is using injuries to discredit a player who, when he’s out there, is one of the most talented and productive players in the league.

This is like saying Bobby Orr wasn’t one of the greatest offensive defencemen ever because he never even broke 1000 points.

If you’re so hung up on sample sizes, how’s this: in 185 games Auston Matthews has 179 points for a 0.97 points-per-game, which is a full-season pace of 79 points a year.

I guess the argument switches here to say “2.5 seasons don’t matter, he’s gotta do it in 1 season”.

Intellectual dishonesty.

intellectual dishonesty is saying that a player that has played one full season out of 2 and a half seasons, is worth the money he is being paid is homerism

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Intellectual dishonesty.
It's hard to take him seriously since he said Matthews has never played a full season in the NHL and we know that's not true.

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
unless of course your third jersey has a nice little skirt and you guys are playing ringette.

hockey is a fast hard hitting sport.

not really what the leafs are designed for

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
That's why I didn't say "a truly groundbreaking contract that had never happened before", I just said "were expected" and "prior". Longer was "expected" because of the contracts that had been signed just "prior". If that's all you have to say about what I posted you might as well just bow out because you're either not reading what other people say, or you pretty much agree that it's not ideal and you still can't stop yourself from defending the Leafs by reflex.
Personally I wish Matthews had signed for 6 years instead of 5 since he was not going to get 8 years. However it's what happened and I can move on.

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
so that is it?

none of you want to discuss the differences between chevy playing hardball with trouba after his elc holdout.

or should we discuss who the real knee-lander was in the recent dubas contract negotiations

feel free to make your point

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Im saying Draisaitl had a monster playoffs and he has been good this year too. Dont see why you keep bringing him up considering he has more Points than any player on the Leafs. Plus Matthews had 2 bad playoffs under his belt and he got overpaid. And yes considering him and Eichal are virtually identical players but Matthews got less term and more money means it is worse.
2 bad playoffs? You mean one? He had 4 goals in 6 games against the Caps...

Him and Eichel aren't identical players. AM is already proving to be one of the top goal scorers in the league.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The same people saying "Boo hoo" will be the same people that say "Why does that player think he deserves so much right now? He should take a discount!"

The irony in this thread is hilarious. It works now for them, but when someone else asks for their sack of gold the way these guys did, they'll tear them to shreds asking why they deserve it.

The league has been horrible with contracts ever since a few GM's decided to be idiots and ignore the bridge deals.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Him and Eichel aren't identical players. AM is already proving to be one of the top goal scorers in the league.

Didn't Eichel just turn Skinner into a goal scoring god?

You value a guy that is one of the top goal scorers in the game.
What value do people put on a player that turns a decent scorer into one of the top goal scorers in the game?

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Didn't Eichel just turn Skinner into a goal scoring god?

You value a guy that is one of the top goal scorers in the game.
What value do people put on a player that turns a decent scorer into one of the top goal scorers in the game?
The guy scored 37 just a couple years ago and this season is higher scoring. Plus Eichel signed his contract before this year, before he played with Skinner. That had no impact on his contract. Matthews hit 40 as a rookie

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The guy scored 37 just a couple years ago and this season is higher scoring. Plus Eichel signed his contract before this year, before he played with Skinner. That had no impact on his contract. Matthews hit 40 as a rookie

Who was his most common linemate during that 40 goal season? Because I can guarantee you, he's not going around creating those scoring chances all on his own.

Hell, I would value Marner a lot higher than Matthews.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

It's amazing how a lot of people on here who are not Leafs fans never mention how great Matthews was during the 2017 playoffs.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Who was his most common linemate during that 40 goal season? Because I can guarantee you, he's not going around creating those scoring chances all on his own.

Matthews played half of his games with Brown and Hyman, than later on Babcock switched Brown for Nylander.

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

Now? Maybe but at the same age? AM is better, not even debatable. MM has just come into his own now.

That's any goalscorer, they typically will have good linemates but let's not downplay how impressive that is for a guy immediately after his draft

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Now? Maybe but at the same age? AM is better, not even debatable. MM has just come into his own now.

That's any goalscorer, they typically will have good linemates but let's not downplay how impressive that is for a guy immediately after his draft

Yeah I think Marner is better, definitely think he's one of those guys you guys think is not as good as AM and then you lose him and realize it only then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->