Canadian Team Executive says incompetence of Matthews Deal will affect the rest of the League

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
I'm confused at how it would be warranted if Matthews got offer sheeted? As you said the contract would not be great. It has to do with Dubas because by him re-signing Matthews it prevents an offer sheet which is something Lightning fans don't want to see happen with Point and any of the other high profile RFA's.

Obviously I know GM's don't read hfboards for advice, however prior to Matthews signing his extension how many times was there threads by fans of other teams wanting to see Matthews sign an offer sheet with the Coyotes or topics like Matthews hates Babcock and will sign an offer sheet with Arizona. So it's obvious there was a select few of non Leafs fans who wanted to see that happen.
It is warranted because you aren’t going to lose the player but you are forced to match the offer sheet that has been proposed.

I don’t think offer sheets would’ve been a huge concern and there was still lots of time to negotiate before then.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don’t think offer sheets would’ve been a huge concern and there was still lots of time to negotiate before then.
What about those who say if both sides are ready to agree on a new contract that it should get done. Using your logic why did Connor McDavid sign his extension on July 5, 2017 and not wait until June 30, 2018 when he could have almost became an RFA.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Incompetence of Chirelli is more likely to effect the League. Lucic on his contract is FAR worse. Draisaitl Draisaitl continued the trend, although not as bad. Beyond the Oilers there is that $10M goalie with what, 7 years left? And the $10M player who has never cracked 40 goals with 8 years left?

I get it, you hate the Leafs, but this is pretty sad even for you.

Why do people act like Lucic is the only overpaid UFA in history? There are like 5 from his UFA class alone. And he was a UFA signing that has absolutely nothing to do with the Mathews deal.
Draisaitl was slightly overpiad at the time, by maybe 0.5-1.0m but he was signed for 8 years - meaning in the last few years it would be a steal (considering what he has done this year it already is if you ask me). Mathews is overpaid by a similar amount and is only signed for 5 years :help:

Reactions: Calypso

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
What about those who say if both sides are ready to agree on a new contract that it should get done. Using your logic why did Connor McDavid sign his extension on July 5, 2017 and not wait until June 30, 2018 when he could have almost became an RFA.
I’ve been saying the whole time that I don’t think Dubas should’ve given him that deal.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
It’s ironic that Leafs fans love to dump all over the contracts of players from other teams but can’t handle the criticism of the contract their golden boy just signed which is clearly out of the norm.

You’re playing a guy 11.653 for only his RFA years and he’ll be UFA at a really young age where he will demand max probably.
I remember leafs fans saying he’ll take 8-9m for his RFA contract LOL
It's ironic, no wait, that's the wrong way to express this...its your lack of reading comprehension that leafs fans love the Matthews deal. You're definitely the kind of guy who only pays attention to what he wants to pay attention to. 9 out 10 leafs fans hate it, and you'll point the finger at that 1 guy. I guess it makes you feel smart? Which contracts do we dump on btw? I'm genuinely curious as to what you're talking about.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Is Tavares as good as McDavid?
Why are we even comparing the two? One was an RFA and the other was a UFA. McDavid also took a lot less than he could have and we all know that. Nonetheless, those aren't comparable contracts.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I’ve been saying the whole time that I don’t think Dubas should’ve given him that deal.
You never answered me if you think the Oilers should have also waited before McDavid signed his extension in July 2017? You said there was no rush for Matthews to sign his and wouldn't you have also said that about McDavid?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Why are we even comparing the two? One was an RFA and the other was a UFA. McDavid also took a lot less than he could have and we all know that. Nonetheless, those aren't comparable contracts.
Agreed that they are not comparable since McDavid could have become an RFA and Tavares was a UFA. They are only similar in that Tavares also look less from the Leafs ($11 million AAV) compared to the Sharks offer which was $13 million AAV.

Mar 26, 2010
McDavid at $12.5 is a great deal. It's one of the few things that Chiarelli did right during his time in Edmonton.

Tavares left $2M/year for 7 seasons $14M total on the table to play in Toronto. There is not a GM in the NHL that does not take JT on his current contract.

Dubas did right on this one!
Is Tavares as good as McDavid?

Tavares is a stud #1 franchise C. I never said as good.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
The nhl is heading towards a new work stoppage, these gms again are giving way too much money away and will need uncle garry to save there asses.
What do you mean? Each team is restricted by a hard salary cap, and there is a maximum salary per player (that no one has ever received).

How can they fix a system that isn't broken?

Reactions: Monsieur Gustave H

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Tavares left $2M/year for 7 seasons $14M total on the table to play in Toronto. There is not a GM in the NHL that does not take JT on his current contract.=.

Why are you telling me this?

I commented on the contract given to McDavid, and you respond telling me about John Tavares.

Are you confused?

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Make more money and quit your whining.

Cap will go up and the food stamp teams will continue to toil in mediocrity.
Here in lay the core of the problem. You can't raise the cap without negatively affecting those "food stamp" teams. And if you think you can simply move them and start up a new market, think again.
There is a reason markets are selected and there is only a limited number of them, and isn't because there aren't enough rich people with free money to use. If the NHL was successful as this post makes it out, they wouldn't have an issue shifting teams around to different/new markets and continue to grow profit. The fact is the sport is ranked 4 or 5 in North America, and there isn't a great deal of room for growth as previous 2 decades have shown. It wasn't the fan growth that expanded the potential for cap growth, it was communication/media deals, i.e. television deals, that have allowed the cap to grow.

There is a definite correlation between the contracts being handed out and the crunch teams feel with regards to the cap when combined with the lack of parody for an equally balanced league, especially given the projections are a minimal cap growth for the next 5 to 8 years with the expansion teams (Vegas and Seattle) leveling off to levels for new organizations. This is already playing out in strong small markets like Buffalo, Columbus, Carolina, Ottawa and Florida to name a few. Hell, even legendary original 6 team Detroit is currently feeling a bit of a crunch for several factors. To simply write off the financial side of the league is foolishness imo. There is a reckoning coming over the situation, similar to the last one, only this time, the cap won't climb at the pace it did before, once again, imo.

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
What do you mean? Each team is restricted by a hard salary cap, and there is a maximum salary per player (that no one has ever received).

How can they fix a system that isn't broken?

Gms giving out bad contracts is why the league has so many lock outs, and where heading for another one.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Gms giving out bad contracts is why the league has so many lock outs, and where heading for another one.
Since the owners got a lot of concessions they wanted from the players during the previous lockout into the current CBA, what other reasons besides player contracts are reasons for another possible lockout? Bettman always seem to say that league revenue is great and etc.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
When you make a 21 yr old RFA that has a career high 69 pts the second highest paid player in the NHL. The least you should get in return is a 8 year contract. Not 5 year contract which is much more line to McDavid and Eichel and better for other GM's that sign deals in a more responsible manner. This is the only point worth noting. It was unprecedented Matthews walked away with everything worth noting in contract talks and it wasn't even at the deadline threashhold.

Why should he get 8years at high cap hit if he's only got 69 points career high.

Reactions: Former Referee 68

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
Since the owners got a lot of concessions they wanted from the players during the previous lockout into the current CBA, what other reasons besides player contracts are reasons for another possible lockout? Bettman always seem to say that league revenue is great and etc.

They always find a way to get more money, im not saying that mathews contract is bad, it just seems that theres a lot of bigger numbers out there since the past few years, hockey is still a niche sport, i just see the gms hurting the game in the long run, its totaly there job to build a winning team, juat tired of all the lockouts over the years.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
They always find a way to get more money, im not saying that mathews contract is bad, it just seems that theres a lot of bigger numbers out there since the past few years, hockey is still a niche sport, i just see the gms hurting the game in the long run, its totaly there job to build a winning team, juat tired of all the lockouts over the years.
In my opinion the problem seems to be the way Matthews bonuses were structed, however there is nothing stopping any of the other 30 teams to do the same thing when re-signing their own RFA's or possible UFA's. Like I said before I think a worse thing is Tampa Bay using the no state tax advantage which is something the majority of other teams can not use, compared to the way Kyle Dubas decided to give out Matthews the bonuses.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
There is no way to fix that though? Another lockout will serve as a soft reset, GM's and agents will find new loopholes, and in 6-7 years we'll be at where we are now again

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Agreed that they are not comparable since McDavid could have become an RFA and Tavares was a UFA. They are only similar in that Tavares also look less from the Leafs ($11 million AAV) compared to the Sharks offer which was $13 million AAV.
It's completely ignored here that he took a lot less to sign with the Leafs. It's not about bragging rights at all, it's that salaries are going up even more. Tavares isn't worth more than McDavid, we all know that. It's more about that we're headed towards another lockout. Owners aren't going to let these contracts continue. This summer will be the nail in the coffin.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It's completely ignored here that he took a lot less to sign with the Leafs. It's not about bragging rights at all, it's that salaries are going up even more. Tavares isn't worth more than McDavid, we all know that. It's more about that we're headed towards another lockout. Owners aren't going to let these contracts continue. This summer will be the nail in the coffin.
Tavares was also a rare occasion because prior to him signing in Toronto we always saw players of his caliber always re-sign with their former team. Gord Miller even said his signing was the biggest one since Scott Niedermayer went from New Jersey to Anaheim as a UFA in 2005.

Love

Feb 29, 2012

Don’t jump into a conversation you’re not a part of and haven’t been following. Go away.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Tavares is a stud #1 franchise C. I never said as good.

Tavares’ contract is fine and yes, he’s a trmendous player.

All I said was that McDavid is on a great contract and for whatever reason you felt the need to chime in and say “And Tavares salary is less, and bad yet” as if comparing Tavares and McDavid is at all relevant or that the two of them are somehow comparable in any way. It isn’t, and they aren’t.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad