Canadian Team Executive says incompetence of Matthews Deal will affect the rest of the League

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I won’t even try and defend the Matthews contact at this point...it is not good. That being said, Dubas did not start this charade... it was Chiarelli with the $12.5M McDavid contract when Crosby was making $8.7M. That was the start of it all.

McDavid’s contract is great for the Oilers though. If anything it’s a discount.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
If Matthews did not want north of $14 million on a 8 year contract maybe he would have signed for 8 years.
funny how numbers only get leaked only when they can be used to defend the Dube , lol

why didn't the genius Dumbass sign AM to this cap hit for a 8yr term ? poof a rumor pops up he wanted 2m more per yr than McD , lol

people started asking why the Great Almighty Dumbass didn't sign Marner in the summer and poof like magic after 6 mths an insider comes out in mid Jan saying his ask was 9m per in the summer , lol

lots of talk from the Dube and a pretty t-shirt but not much substance unfortunately

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
funny how numbers only get leaked only when they can be used to defend the Dube , lol

why didn't the genius Dumbass sign AM to this cap hit for a 8yr term ? poof a rumor pops up he wanted 2m more per yr than McD , lol

people started asking why the Great Almighty Dumbass didn't sign Marner in the summer and poof like magic after 6 mths an insider comes out in mid Jan saying his ask was 9m per in the summer , lol

lots of talk from the Dube and a pretty t-shirt but not much substance unfortunately
So I guess you think it was leaked out that Nylander originally wanted 8 years and $8.5 million to make him look like the bad guy, even though every Leafs fan said he does not deserve that much.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
So you would rather have seen Matthews re-sign on June 30, 2019 right before he could have become an RFA? If the idea is to re-sign RFA's before July 1 so they can not get an offer sheet, so shouldn't Dubas or any NHL GM make that happen?

You also seem to forget the report that if Matthews wanted to sign for 8 years he wanted north of $14 million and I'm sure you would think that contract would be just as bad or worse than the 5 years and $11.634 million AAV he signed for.
Just because he wanted 8 years $14 million doesn’t mean you have to give him that. Do you realize this? Players don’t just state what they want and the GM prepares the contract.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I won’t even try and defend the Matthews contact at this point...it is not good. That being said, Dubas did not start this charade... it was Chiarelli with the $12.5M McDavid contract when Crosby was making $8.7M. That was the start of it all.
McDavid contract and Draisatl contract are going to look like bargains compared to JT and Mathews.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
So you would rather have seen Matthews re-sign on June 30, 2019 right before he could have become an RFA? If the idea is to re-sign RFA's before July 1 so they can not get an offer sheet, so shouldn't Dubas or any NHL GM make that happen?

You also seem to forget the report that if Matthews wanted to sign for 8 years he wanted north of $14 million and I'm sure you would think that contract would be just as bad or worse than the 5 years and $11.634 million AAV he signed for.

What does that say about Matthews if what you say is true. 14M for 8 years. We have a grade A team guy here don't we? I don't think you understand the difference of the ask of a contract and the reality of what a player is worth. All this tells me is Matthews and his agent do not respect Dubas to make such an outrageous demand, and know he would cave to 11.634 x 5 years, no trade clause in year 5, front loaded bonuses, and he is a UFA when he is 26. All that was left was for Dubas to do was tip the agent on the way out. It's these type of deals that make for bad comparables for other GM's, hence the title of this thread.

"Canadian Team Executive says incompetence of Matthews Deal will affect the rest of the League".

Reactions: The Big M and bert

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
He's overpaid. 11x8 was fair with bonuses, this contract he got was a joke. Hope dubas can draft well, because his negotiating skills are down there for sure.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
McDavid contract and Draisatl contract are going to look like bargains compared to JT and Mathews.

Probably depends if Matthews continues to outproduce him by 30% by the same point in time, no?

In Draisaitl's ELC year, he played 63.75% of his time with McDavid yet his output was 30% less than Matthews' whose two most common linemates are (I believe) Kapanen and Johnsson?

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
What does that say about Matthews if what you say is true. 14M for 8 years. We have a grade A team guy here don't we? I don't think you understand the difference of the ask of a contract and the reality of what a player is worth. All this tells me is Matthews and his agent do not respect Dubas to make such an outrageous demand, and know he would cave to 11.634 x 5 years, no trade clause in year 5, front loaded bonuses, and he is a UFA when he is 26. All that was left was for Dubas to do was tip the agent on the way out. It's these type of deals that make for bad comparables for other GM's, hence the title of this thread.

"Canadian Team Executive says incompetence of Matthews Deal will affect the rest of the League".
So I will ask you this again although I doubt you will even bother to answer it. If Matthews became an RFA and another GM wanted to sign him to a 5 year offer sheet worth $11.634 million, would you still have the same opinion that it would be a bad deal for the rest of the league or would you be happy knowing it would screw over the Leafs? Hell what if it was a 7 year $15.9 million offer sheet given to Matthews and he signed that, wouldn't that also be bad? I mean fans of other teams thought Matthews was worth an offer sheet if he became an RFA, because they wanted the Leafs to get screwed over.

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
The nhl is heading towards a new work stoppage, these gms again are giving way too much money away and will need uncle garry to save there asses.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

McDavid at $12.5 is a great deal. It's one of the few things that Chiarelli did right during his time in Edmonton.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I think Leafs fans look at the TB Lightning and how well they have managed the cap.
The Penguins and the Blackhawks are two other good examples.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think Leafs fans look at the TB Lightning and how well they have managed the cap.
The Penguins and the Blackhawks are two other good examples.
How much of Tampa Bay's success if them using their no state tax advantage when re-signing their own players?

As for Chicago and Pittsburgh at least they have shown you can lock core pieces despite the salary cap. With the Penguins it's Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Kessel. With the Blackhawks it's Kane, Toews and Keith.

Reactions: Newsworthy

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017

Because as youve tried to say many times previously, laine is better?

Lol.

You would choose laine to play on the senators, with their exciting brand of winning hockey, wouldnt you?

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
How much of Tampa Bay's success if them using their no state tax advantage when re-signing their own players?

As for Chicago and Pittsburgh at least they have shown you can lock core pieces despite the salary cap. With the Penguins it's Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Kessel. With the Blackhawks it's Kane, Toews and Keith.

I think there are a lot of reasons why players gravitate to Tampa Bay. Brayden Point's up next so we will see this Summer how much he likes playing for the Lightning.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
So I will ask you this again although I doubt you will even bother to answer it. If Matthews became an RFA and another GM wanted to sign him to a 5 year offer sheet worth $11.634 million, would you still have the same opinion that it would be a bad deal for the rest of the league or would you be happy knowing it would screw over the Leafs? Hell what if it was a 7 year $15.9 million offer sheet given to Matthews and he signed that, wouldn't that also be bad? I mean fans of other teams thought Matthews was worth an offer sheet if he became an RFA, because they wanted the Leafs to get screwed over.
If he was offer sheeted that contract then it would still not be great but at least it would be warranted. What does that have to do with Dubas giving Matthews this contract?

It is unlikely another GM would have made that offer sheet anyway. Because fans of teams on hfboards wanted to give Matthews an offer sheet to screw over the Leafs you think that it would happen and that they would give Matthews a great deal (for him) like the one he got? Do you think GMs follow hfboards for advice?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If he was offer sheeted that contract then it would still not be great but at least it would be warranted. What does that have to do with Dubas giving Matthews this contract?

It is unlikely another GM would have made that offer sheet anyway. Because fans of teams on hfboards wanted to give Matthews an offer sheet to screw over the Leafs you think that it would happen and that they would give Matthews a great deal (for him) like the one he got? Do you think GMs follow hfboards for advice?
I'm confused at how it would be warranted if Matthews got offer sheeted? As you said the contract would not be great. It has to do with Dubas because by him re-signing Matthews it prevents an offer sheet which is something Lightning fans don't want to see happen with Point and any of the other high profile RFA's.

Obviously I know GM's don't read hfboards for advice, however prior to Matthews signing his extension how many times was there threads by fans of other teams wanting to see Matthews sign an offer sheet with the Coyotes or topics like Matthews hates Babcock and will sign an offer sheet with Arizona. So it's obvious there was a select few of non Leafs fans who wanted to see that happen.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think there are a lot of reasons why players gravitate to Tampa Bay. Brayden Point's up next so we will see this Summer how much he likes playing for the Lightning.
At the very least it will be interesting to see if Point will want to take less because of their no state tax advantage.

Also it's funny you mention him because this past December I went to the Leafs vs Lightning game in Tampa Bay and prior to the game I started talking with a Lightning fan at their team store and he was buying a Point jersey. Anyway he said in his opinion Point is their best player and I said even more than Stamkos or Kucherov? He said yes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad