Canadian Soccer Part II

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Did they change the format? I seem to remember the hex as the final stage for world cup qualification, and to get there, you you had to advance from another round Robin.

Yeah the format is different this time around. The 7-35 ranked teams do a playoff to get into the final spot for CONCACAF. The top 3 of the HEX get through and the fourth team joins the playoff.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah the format is different this time around. The 7-35 ranked teams do a playoff to get into the final spot for CONCACAF. The top 3 of the HEX get through and the fourth team joins the playoff.

Ahh, now I see why the match against the US is so significant. When is the cut off for final seedings to get in the hex, and how many matches does canada have to try and bolster their seeding?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Ahh, now I see why the match against the US is so significant. When is the cut off for final seedings to get in the hex, and how many matches does canada have to try and bolster their seeding?

I don't know how many games are still to come off the top of my head. But yeah this next international break that has 2 games against the US is massive. Getting a win and draw out of it would be huge!

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
CPL news. Forge has officially clinched the second finals spot if Cavalry are to win the league.

Only way to have a non Cavalry v Forge finals is if another team some how miraculously goes on a winning streak for the rest of the season and Forge ends up not gaining any points.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Canadian Championships tonight between TFC and Montreal. Montreal up 1-0 on aggregate. Should be a fun finish to this awesome competition.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Classic crap from Soccer Canada.

Horrible referee misses oubvious penalty and red card then the absolute bush league stuff of no extra time in a cup final! Incredible how Soccer Canada always manages to outdo himself. How about the OneSoccer broadcast stopping all the time including for a lot of people during the penalties. Priceless.

At least Montreal won but Soccer Canada keeps finding new ways to be a joke.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Horrible referee misses oubvious penalty and red card then the absolute bush league stuff of no extra time in a cup final! Incredible how Soccer Canada always manages to outdo himself. How about the OneSoccer broadcast stopping all the time including for a lot of people during the penalties. Priceless.

One Soccer really needs to find their way and fast. Between the stoppages and the completely leaving games that have too much rain, they have proven themselves to be extremely inconsistent.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Worst game easily. They could have gotten a third easy which is frustrating, would have been awesome to get 3.

I don't know the reason why they switched the orientation of the field, I was always under the impression that one reason was to get a view of the escarpment.

The reason actually isn't for the escarpment, but for the sun. East/West stadiums mean players can lose the ball/be blinded by the sun in the waning hours of the day. North/South stadiums for the most part avoid this because the sun is either overhead or behind the stands.

Almost all stadiums are North/South now a days, but old Ivor Wynne was built in the 1920s and got a couple renovations, so it was never addressed.

It’s official: Ivor Wynne will spin

Last edited:
Reactions: sabremike

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The reason actually isn't for the escarpment, but for the sun. East/West stadiums mean players can lose the ball/be blinded by the sun in the waning hours of the day. North/South stadiums for the most part avoid this because the sun is either overhead or behind the stands.
Oh that's interesting, thanks.

The view is a nice added bonus of the change :p

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Ingham with one of the saves of the year to keep the game within one before York 9 scores in the 95th minute to draw Cavalry. Result leaves Forge on their own at the top of the table.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Cavalry win 2-1 over Forge at home.

Game was getting chippy by the end of it. Would not be surprised to see some real fire works next Wednesday and then again in the Finals. The loss ends Forge's unbeaten run and puts Calgary at the top of the table.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Massive game tonight at BMO field against the US.

Basically a must win if Canada want any shot at the Hex for WC qualifying.

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Massive game tonight at BMO field against the US.

Basically a must win if Canada want any shot at the Hex for WC qualifying.

I'm honestly so nervous right now and will be all day! Should be a fun one though, the US is ripe for the taking!

Reactions: Tuggy

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Can't wait to see the starting lineups and then the game of course. How many tickets sold so far, will it be a 30K sell out?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad