Canadian Soccer Part II

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Not for February games which there's none of them I think but for sure in late October and November in Regina or Winnipeg it would be fine. Our players should have no problems with the weather, if they have they are not worth much. It's in games where we are underdogs that cold weather and hostile fans can be a great equalizer.

No more BC games that's a for sure.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Not for February games which there's none of them I think but for sure in late October and November in Regina or Winnipeg it would be fine. Our players should have no problems with the weather, if they have they are not worth much. It's in games where we are underdogs that cold weather and hostile fans can be a great equalizer.

I'm saying even if the weather was a non factor the support in Toronto will be the best. The south end support is far and away better when they play there.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Yeah for friendlies and a game vs. the United States. But WC qualifying games against Mexico or Costa Rica could and should be played elsewhere.

Zegras Zebra

May 7, 2016
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I'm saying even if the weather was a non factor the support in Toronto will be the best. The south end support is far and away better when they play there.
Its true that Toronto would give the CMNT the best support and atmosphere. However if you're playing Mexico you're playing players who are used to far bigger and louder stadiums than BMO. The Azteca, and their club teams in Europe and Liga MX provide much more intense atmosphere's so playing in a half full 30,000 seat stadium in Toronto is not going to phase them. Playing in the extreme cold which really doesn't happen a lot in football if you think about it would make Mexico and the other top Central American clubs much more uncomfortable and should provide a greater benefit to Canada. Plus I doubt half the stadium would be Mexican fans which I would suspect would be a real possibility at BMO or BC Place

Reactions: Pouchkine

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Its true that Toronto would give the CMNT the best support and atmosphere. However if you're playing Mexico you're playing players who are used to far bigger and louder stadiums than BMO. The Azteca, and their club teams in Europe and Liga MX provide much more intense atmosphere's so playing in a half full 30,000 seat stadium in Toronto is not going to phase them. Playing in the extreme cold which really doesn't happen a lot in football if you think about it would make Mexico and the other top Central American clubs much more uncomfortable and should provide a greater benefit to Canada. Plus I doubt half the stadium would be Mexican fans which I would suspect would be a real possibility at BMO or BC Place

I think you are over playing the effect the cold would have. Sure it would maybe be slightly nicer for us but it's not like our players spend their time training in the Canadian cold. They are also used to comfortable playing temperature and locations. BMO just makes the most sense in all of these regards.

Reactions: Pouchkine

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
I think you are over playing the effect the cold would have. Sure it would maybe be slightly nicer for us but it's not like our players spend their time training in the Canadian cold. They are also used to comfortable playing temperature and locations. BMO just makes the most sense in all of these regards.
You are right for the cold aspect but there's a real danger of 50% away fans if a big game vs. Mexico is played in Toronto.

Anyway I forgot that Regina and all those places don't have real grass so that rules them out for me. Can't stand games on those surfaces.

Reactions: robertmac43

Zegras Zebra

May 7, 2016
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Maybe I am over playing the cold, artificial turf, and lack of invading opposition fans in playing in a prairie city in November or March. I don't think its likely matches are played there in the hex, but I think we could both agree that we want Canada to have the best advantage possible and make it to the World Cup. Go Canada!

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-6-18_16-43-20.png

Reactions: robertmac43

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad