Canadian Soccer Part II

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Henry was awful...he contributes nothing as a fullback.

Julian De guzman was a non factor the entire match, couldnt manufacture one through ball, link play, or dispossess Herrera all night. All he did was that early cross which we missed a tap in on.

Larin did well at first and caused a lot of problems but tired after chasing and being sent long balls all night.

Hoillet should have scored a goal when he bullied his way into the 18.

CB's were a catastrophe...Jakovic and Straith are not better than Edgar and Vitoria(nowhere near good enough for Benfica but far better than a J league player and Straith)

I think what Benito was doing was keeping Vitoria-Edgar rested for AZTECA for damage limitation...but he should have gone for point here at all costs.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Jakovic was absolutely awful and needs to be dropped for Tuesday's match. Terrible marking on Chicharito's goal, constantly slow to react to anything in his area, terrible passing. Straith wasn't much better.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Team formation wasnt bad and Canada had some brief good moments. Thing is...we lack talent. Severely lack talent.

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
Team formation wasnt bad and Canada had some brief good moments. Thing is...we lack talent. Severely lack talent.

This x100

Also De jong sucks. to the post 2 or 3 ahead of me.

Wingers didn't impress me. I expected a loss and to be dominated. So the pain is minimum.

Question though. Has Canada ever played against a bigger player than Chicharito in Canada?

Jeremy Hronek

Aug 18, 2009
chilliwack , bc
Despite the loss I had a blast at the game. The Mexican team is so fun to watch, it seemed like they were able to effortlessly transition from defense to offense.

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
I was at the game too, it was damn fun to be at. It was seriously an amazing spectacle. But seriously, some of you guys (mostly from the previous thread) really need a reality check. This is Mexico, they are the class of of our region. When they're on form, they can hang with the big boys of the world.

We had a couple players not perform well today for sure (JDG and Henry were the clear ones for me) but that being said, when Mexico sat back in the 2nd half we were actually able to move the ball around a bit and impose our game. Shows we have some quality on our side but when Mexico wants it, they get it and that's the way it's going to be for now.

Wish we'd kept the score line closer but all in all not a terrible performance. I look at our trip down on Tuesday as a great opportunity to pull off something special AND get a taste for the current squad for the hostile environment that will be Honduras in Match day 5

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Wow absolutely disgusting display. Most of our players look like hockey players who happen to play some soccer during summer...Borjan was great Arfield had some moments Hutchinson had an average game for his standard and De Jong was not so bad, the rest were all terrible.

Doneil Henry as I said before the game is a disaster, the worst defender I've ever seen in pro soccer. He has no idea what he's doing on the field. He was just like he was at TFC.

Jakovic is done Straith as well, Johnson is terrible and done, De Guzman as well Tosaint Ricketts did he play? Larin didn't make one good play all game, when playing against good players we see he is bad. Hoilett missed a tap in when it was 0-0 and apart from that was invisible. That game could have ended something like 7-1...And we had 0 organisation 0 shape on the pitch.

The referee all around was better than your average mls referee. Could have given two yellows early in the game but apart from that was very good for concacaf level and the crowd was fantastic.

It's good that El Salvador drew yesterday but I wouldn't be surprise if we don't score a single goal in our next 3 games.

Since I follow the team, I've never seen it so bad, yesterday we had about 8 guys in the starting line up that haven't played a club game in 2016...

Last edited:

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Yes and they made us look like part time players...which we are for the most part. Take note of that : we won't score another goal in the next 3 games.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
54 798 that's a record for the renovated BC Place and the atmosphere was terrific.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
This x100

Also De jong sucks. to the post 2 or 3 ahead of me.

Wingers didn't impress me. I expected a loss and to be dominated. So the pain is minimum.

Question though. Has Canada ever played against a bigger player than Chicharito in Canada?

They tied Brazil in 1994, in Canada.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Yes but the Brazil game was a friendly, the same year we also hosted Holland if I remember correctly.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
im sure chicharito is not even the best mexican player canadas ever faced.
a certain hugo sanchez comes in mind.

(cant confirm if he has, but being concacaf opponents im sure he did for 1990 or 94)

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
Honestly ok with the result. We got well beaten by a better team. We didn't get slaughtered, or not have any chances. We had some good moments where we looked Dangerous. And If we play that way against El Salvador, and Honduras we should make it thru.

But as a CMNT supporter I've never seen a less talented player than Ricketts consistently play for us.
In the First Couple of Minutes we had a 3v2 and he miss hit his cross by 30+yards...
I swear we could throw Luke Wileman in their and get better as a team

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Overreaction from a lot of people here. If Mexico is on their game that's what's going to happen. The gulf in talent is too wide.

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
US isn't as good as they think they are but their team in the 2011 Gold Cup was still a solid #2 to Mexico. Go watch the highlights of the final, as soon as the Mexican team turned it on they torched the Americans. I think this Mexico team is better than that squad too.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Honestly ok with the result. We got well beaten by a better team. We didn't get slaughtered, or not have any chances. We had some good moments where we looked Dangerous. And If we play that way against El Salvador, and Honduras we should make it thru.

But as a CMNT supporter I've never seen a less talented player than Ricketts consistently play for us.
In the First Couple of Minutes we had a 3v2 and he miss hit his cross by 30+yards...
I swear we could throw Luke Wileman in their and get better as a team

I agree. Obviously the better team won but Canada was not without their chances.

We are still in decent position in the group.

Another draw tomorrow for Honduras/El Salvador would be really nice because I'm not expecting any miracles in Mexico.

Also need Mexico to win all their remaining games.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Mexico played on auto pilot though, they knew Canada had nothing to hurt them, that's why we had a couple of great chances but overall if everyone buried their chances we would have lost like 9-2...And if Mexico played 100% we would lose easy 5-0 like tomorrow probably.

And yes Hugo Sanchez miles ahead of Hernandez.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
The thing is I just don't see much upside to this team. Half the guys are close to retirement and terrible, most of the "young" guys are beyond mediocre. Let's say Hutchinson gets hurt or picks up cards and misses one or both of the last two games, I wouldn't be surprised if we lose both of them.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
^Most Teams in Concacaf rely on 2-3 Quality Players and the rest of the Team is literally whoever is in the Best(or any) Pro environment.

Larin is the Key to Our CMNT Success moving forward. All we need to do is get better, at giving him the ball somewhere other than the halfway line.

The Implementation of Fully Professional Second teams for the 3 MLS clubs is Massive. Canada Finally is Developing a pathway(not the best pathway, but its something) for our talented Youngsters who have proven they can compete and win against their peers from abroad. Its no Longer MLS or bust at 18

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Based on the class displayed by Mexico in Vancouver, I'm gonna guess they win at azteca 5-0, mostly in cruise control.

I liked what I saw from arfield though. Hopefully, he can get his back in form by the time Canada really needs him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad