Canadian Division (Canada Cup) Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Most of the top teams can say something that would have cemented them further up. Only if Koskinen didn't play 13 in a row to start the year (SMith is having a great year with a few bad games). Only if our secondary scoring did not drop from last year. Only if Klefbom didn't have season ending surgery. We would be doing better.

If only we had a defense.

Such an easy fix

:laugh:

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
It’s crazy how the Leafs only need average goaltending to be dominating but they didn’t even get that for the majority of the season... Next 3 games between Leafs and Jets will determine the 1st place probably.
it was the same thing for edmonton. When smith came back from injury and gave the team .93 sv% they went on a tear which saw them not lose a game in something like 15 games. Ironically, that streak ended with the 3 game Leaf series where Koskinen shat the bed and Mike Smith came in but didn't do much better. Goaltending is the most important player a team, they can carry bad team, make average teams seem godly and make good teams great. Edmonton recovered from the rough 3 games against Toronto. Toronto likely recovers from this too, admittedly its a bad time for Toronto to stumble, but as good as they were all year, they were never heads above the jets the Oilers, they were always nipping at their heels and a 5 game losing streak now could see the Jets or Oilers pass them, possibly both.Toronto needs to get average goaltending again

Reactions: dlam and onetweasy

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Everyone who contributed to #firebenning is fired. Van is going to make the playoffs

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
That's.....wow....definitely accurate.

Miller is probably top 3 as well.

I feel like of the Canucks ran Miller as a 3C all season, the team would have been much stronger for it.
I'd be real curious to see how EP an Boeser would do with Miller as the C. Putting the Lotto line out there like that x number of shifts a game could be pretty interesting. I really like Miller as a C.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
canucksleafs.jpg

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
He was a depth move, nothing more.

The issue is that by trading a 3rd for him the TML have to play him for few games... They would have been better not acquiring him...

But much bigger issue, can anyone explain to me what the "genious" was thinking at the deadline? The TML strongest department was the FWDs, while by far their weakeast link is the inconsistent Goaltending. Logic dictates that the GM should address their biggest need, yet the Wonderboy goes all in on another forward.

It looks like he is trading cards, trying to acquire the most shiniest of all, not managing a team...

Reactions: snowkiddin

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
If the leafs losing to Canucks mean they make the playoffs over the Habs - I'll take it!

Haha

If Demko gets hot in the first round I do not think you'll be laughing.

From the north, Demko is the goalie which is trully Jekyll and Hyde. When he gets hot he is a Hasek, but then he gets cold... TBH I would not like to face him in the postseason.

Reactions: Satire and Szechwan

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
If Demko gets hot in the first round I do not think you'll be laughing.

From the north, Demko is the goalie which is trully Jekyll and Hyde. When he gets hot he is a Hasek, but then he gets cold... TBH I would not like to face him in the postseason.

Canucks have gone 10-4-1 since the start of March, which gets them back to .500. They probably have to go a similar pace to get in, which is unlikely. With that said, if they were able to pull it off, they would be one of the hottest teams in the league over the second half of the year entering the playoffs. That is certainly not what a #1 seed wants to see in the first round.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
The issue is that by trading a 3rd for him the TML have to play him for few games... They would have been better not acquiring him...

But much bigger issue, can anyone explain to me what the "genious" was thinking at the deadline? The TML strongest department was the FWDs, while by far their weakeast link is the inconsistent Goaltending. Logic dictates that the GM should address their biggest need, yet the Wonderboy goes all in on another forward.

It looks like he is trading cards, trying to acquire the most shiniest of all, not managing a team...

What happens if Campbell's injured (given his recent play, it's possible) or gets injured? With Andersen out, we'd be going with Hutch and looking for someone from the Marlies or worse at this point. He was a good pickup and given how he played against us in those two Flames games, he was an obvious choice. Dubas did the right thing on this one.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Toronto's goaltending is bad, and team defense can still be suspect.

Almost ditto with Edmonton, though Smith is having a great year. (we'll see in the playoffs)

Winnipeg has offense, size & goaltending - though lacks defense as you say. Toronto seems to have trouble with them.

Seems to me from the regular season:

Toronto > Edmonton
Edmonton > Winnipeg
Winnipeg > Toronto

Might come down to the matchup.

You do realize the Leafs have a winning record against the Jets right? How is that having trouble with them?
They've literally beaten them more than they have lost to them.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
You do realize the Leafs have a winning record against the Jets right? How is that having trouble with them?
They've literally beaten them more than they have lost to them.

Meh. Leafs are 4-3 against WPG with 1 win in OT & 1 in a SO.

Winnipeg is 3-2-2 against Toronto, and has outscored them 20 to 18.

I was kind of going on a whim as some of the games I've caught the Jets seem to be a tough opponent for the Leafs, albeit wasn't a complete sample. Going into the record now its pretty close.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
What happens if Campbell's injured (given his recent play, it's possible) or gets injured? With Andersen out, we'd be going with Hutch and looking for someone from the Marlies or worse at this point. He was a good pickup and given how he played against us in those two Flames games, he was an obvious choice. Dubas did the right thing on this one.

This is exactly my point... Instead of trading a first + to add yet another forward, and a third for Sievich, the Leafs could and should have used those assets to add a better goalie.

Anyone who watched Sievitch for more than 2 games knew his issues and that he was not an obvious choice..

But hey, if Dubas did the right thing, enjoy the playoffs :D

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Hes supposed to be the #3. The Leafs aren't supposed to rely on him. How is this not obvious?
Number 3 goalies don’t usually make almost 3 mill. Hell they don’t even make 1.3 mil (leafs portion after retention) they got rittch with more expectation than just being a number 3.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Meh. Leafs are 4-3 against WPG with 1 win in OT & 1 in a SO.

Winnipeg is 3-2-2 against Toronto, and has outscored them 20 to 18.

I was kind of going on a whim as some of the games I've caught the Jets seem to be a tough opponent for the Leafs, albeit wasn't a complete sample. Going into the record now its pretty close.

They're the toughest matchup for sure IMO. Hellebuyck can dominate a series.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland