Canadian Division (Canada Cup) Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
How long can the miracle run of Jack Campbell last haha.

Will be interesting, he has shown spurts of being a #1 but never over a long stretch.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Dude, this is a way more fun post than emotional manipulation. This gives us something to talk about. We can banter about this and talk hockey. Throw down all the trash talk you want, I feel that's practically what this thread is for. "This is why we hate Leafs fans" is loser energy, give me that "Leafs suck" energy every day of the week.

I'm friends with a lot of Habs fans, by nature of living in Ottawa and my in-laws. It's so easy to be friends with a rival team's fans, and to throw all kinds of chirps at each other. All it takes is a little respect.

I agree 100%, I want real shit talking from my enemies, not passive aggressive banter and the classic poorly thought out “laughs” or “67”

With that said, the Habs are garbage and with the Gallagher out their limited offense is even further limited. Add to that the “best D” in the division doesn’t even have a better GA/GP than the team who apparently doesn’t know how to play D and also has goaltending issues. Add to that the Leafs recent 2 regulation wins while the Habs added an OTW and that argument is fading too.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I agree 100%, I want real shit talking from my enemies, not passive aggressive banter and the classic poorly thought out “laughs” or “67”

With that said, the Habs are garbage and with the Gallagher out their limited offense is even further limited. Add to that the “best D” in the division doesn’t even have a better GA/GP than the team who apparently doesn’t know how to play D and also has goaltending issues. Add to that the Leafs recent 2 regulation wins while the Habs added an OTW and that argument is fading too.

And now Price is hurt, so you've got that going for you tomorrow as well.

Although maybe they are better off with Allen...

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Been loving this years banter, shit talking, and all of the rivalries to which have developed in such a small amount of time.

Please, keep this division around. It's what Canadian fans have been dieing for!

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Right now the 4 PO teams are basically set so I guessing that the 4 PO teams will end up in this order

TOR
WPG/EDM interchangeable
MTL

If the order is like I wrote above it will be
Edm vs Wpg
Tor vs Mtl in the 1st round of the POs

Who do you think wins their 1st round?

I'd say
Wpg in 6
Tor in 6

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I really hope the Oilers add at the deadline. Last game showed just how inconsistent this group is. I don't think you can say any part of it other than the PP and goaltending is really "on". It's just a lot of disjointed parts that aren't quite fitting. Wins without chemistry so far. But there are good pieces here, and it feels like they are being mostly wasted. And I don't mean just McDavid and Draisaitl.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Right now the 4 PO teams are basically set so I guessing that the 4 PO teams will end up in this order

TOR
WPG/EDM interchangeable
MTL

If the order is like I wrote above it will be
Edm vs Wpg
Tor vs Mtl in the 1st round of the POs

Who do you think wins their 1st round?

I'd say
Wpg in 6
Tor in 6

I have no idea why people seem to think MTL is locked into the 4 spot when they've been playing well lately and have games in hand on all the teams above them. Toronto is probably too far to catch unless MTL sweeps the games against them, but the 2/3/4 spots are all easily up for grabs right now.

The injuries to Gallagher and Price suck, but Allen has been good this year and Armia can just step back into the lineup once he clears COVID protocols. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Caufield too once he gets a few AHL games under his belt

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I really hope the Oilers add at the deadline. Last game showed just how inconsistent this group is. I don't think you can say any part of it other than the PP and goaltending is really "on". It's just a lot of disjointed parts that aren't quite fitting. Wins without chemistry so far. But there are good pieces here, and it feels like they are being mostly wasted. And I don't mean just McDavid and Draisaitl.

At what position do you think Edm needs to add to?

For the Jets it is a top 4 shutdown RHD.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I have no idea why people seem to think MTL is locked into the 4 spot when they've been playing well lately and have games in hand on all the teams above them. Toronto is probably too far to catch unless MTL sweeps the games against them, but the 2/3/4 spots are all easily up for grabs right now.

The injuries to Gallagher and Price suck, but Allen has been good this year and Armia can just step back into the lineup once he clears COVID protocols. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Caufield too once he gets a few AHL games under his belt

I think the final standings will be:

Tor
Wpg
Mon
Edm

But with the trade deadline approaching and injuries + condensed schedule, we could see any order.

Reactions: Rude Dog

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth

It is not a shot against MTL, games in hand are only good if you win most if not all. The Leafs, Jets and Oilers have won them so the odds are not in the Habs favour. Of coarse if any of these teams lose 5+ games in a row then yes Mtl can catch them.

If Habs plays the Leafs do you think they can beat them?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The real race begins now.
No, not who'll finish 1-4, but who between Calgary and Ottawa will position themselves to getting a better draft pick.
5 points separate the two, Ottawa with a game in hand, and two games left between them in a series Ottawa has dominated.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
It is not a shot against MTL, games in hand are only good if you win most if not all. The Leafs, Jets and Oilers have won them so the odds a not in the Habs favour. Of coarse if any of these teams lose 5+ games in a row then yes Mtl can catch them.

Absolutely they can, playoff hockey favours MTL since their 5-on-5 play is better than their special teams.

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
I think any team from this division has its flaws, and all should be looking to add if theyre serious about a cup this year. Leafs, Jets, Oilers all should add. But Oilers and Leafs cap may prevent them from doing what they want

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
At what position do you think Edm needs to add to?

For the Jets it is a top 4 shutdown RHD.
We need a top six forward, and maybe a LHD. With the LHD, we do have Koekkoek maybe coming in time for playoffs so maybe we could skip that one (but depends on update on Koekkoek). But a 4th or 5th rounder for a depth D could be nice.

Ultimately, just like last deadline, just roll the dice to find a winger for McDavid. Nugent Hopkins isn't working out. Get someone who lets us put Nuge back with Draisaitl where he was working before. Let Kahun fall to the 3rd line.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
It is not a shot against MTL, games in hand are only good if you win most if not all. The Leafs, Jets and Oilers have won them so the odds are not in the Habs favour. Of coarse if any of these teams lose 5+ games in a row then yes Mtl can catch them.

Habs are 4-1 in their last five and have extended their lead on Vancouver and Calgary from 2 points early last week to 8 points early this week. And...they still have 2 and 5 games in hand on both these teams respectively.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Absolutely they can, playoff hockey favours MTL since their 5-on-5 play is better than their special teams.
The Leafs have gone 7-0-1 in their last 8 games with 1 goal on the powerplay. I don't think the Leafs are afraid of a 5v5 battle. Montreal is probably the team best equipped to slow the Leafs down though.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
"Miracle Run"

He's 9-0 and hasn't had to steal a single game.

This is what the Leafs team is with competent goaltending.
Ahh, yes Jack Campbell is the best goalie in history and will continue his .944 save percentage. Got it. He's never going to lose a game, Leafs will be undefeated!

Reactions: MessierII

themartyparty

Aug 29, 2014
Been loving this years banter, shit talking, and all of the rivalries to which have developed in such a small amount of time.

Please, keep this division around. It's what Canadian fans have been dieing for!
Ratings don't lie, so the League will keep this alignment... IF they are truly the smart businessmen they claim to be, which is hardly a given.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Ahh, yes Jack Campbell is the best goalie in history and will continue his .944 save percentage. Got it. He's never going to lose a game, Leafs will be undefeated!

That's not the point.

Miracle run would imply that he's saving the Leafs, when in reality he's just being competent.

His numbers will come down obviously, but as long as he plays with poise he's exactly what the Leafs need.

It's not a situation where Helle saves the Jets because they're one of the worst 5 on 5 teams in the league.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
As a Western Canadian would rather see a division of California, Seattle and Vancouver. It sucks watching Saturday evening Canucks vs Leafs at 4:00pm local just to keep Toronto happy.

Missing out on a Vancouver/Seattle rivalry would be a huge loss of an opportunity. The ability to drive 2 hours across the border to Seattle and see Western Canadian teams play would be huge. As a Flames fan, I just don't consider the Flames vs Ottawa/Montreal/Toronto rivalry all that great. I'd much rather see a Western Canadian division with Seattle. I'm not even that concerned with keeping Winnipeg in the same division.

Reactions: SamInVan

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
That's not the point.

Miracle run would imply that he's saving the Leafs, when in reality he's just being competent.

His numbers will come down obviously, but as long as he plays with poise he's exactly what the Leafs need.

It's not a situation where Helle saves the Jets because they're one of the worst 5 on 5 teams in the league.
No, a miracle run is his miracle play that is not going to continue.

His last season above 50 GP was in the AHL and he had a .914 save percentage. Last year in his 20 games before joining the Leafs he was at .900 and in 6 games with the Leafs was .915.

There is no chance he keeps numbers even close to this if he is relied on as a starter for a season.

Also, Helle's only been very good this season, not the miracle worker he was last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad