Canadian Division (Canada Cup) Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
As much of a cool story as Vancouver making the playoffs would be, I just think it's too much of an uphill battle for them to do it. 8 point gap with this little left in the season is significant.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Canucks have really owned Marner and Matthews in these last 4 wins against the leafs. Not only have they held the duo to zero even-strength points they're also a combined -13 over those 4 games.

Reactions: SamInVan

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
As much of a cool story as Vancouver making the playoffs would be, I just think it's too much of an uphill battle for them to do it. 8 point gap with this little left in the season is significant.

4 games in hand and 4 games vs Ott. Uphill battle for sure but the schedule is favorable. A few games vs Calgary who's looked pretty bad as well. Not probable but if they make it I wont be surprised.

Reactions: nturn06

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
4 games in hand and 4 games vs Ott. Uphill battle for sure but the schedule is favorable. A few games vs Calgary who's looked pretty bad as well. Not probable but if they make it I wont be surprised.

They need to win all 4 games in hand just to draw even. And even then Montreal would own the tiebreaker (regulation wins).

Also, I think fatigue eventually takes over. The number of games the Canucks play within a short time period is ridiculous.

Not impossible, just not very likely. Montreal would have to go something like 3-10 to end the year for Vancouver to have a good chance. If Montreal's anywhere even close to .500 to end the year (6-6-1, 5-5-3, etc.) and it's almost impossible.

Reactions: Mr Positive

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Canucks have really owned Marner and Matthews in these last 4 wins against the leafs. Not only have they held the duo to zero even-strength points they're also a combined -13 over those 4 games.

Holtby 37 saves, .925svp - Rittich 21 saves .821svp
Holtby 37 saves, .949svp - Campbell 21 saves .825svp
Demko 31 saves .969svp - Hutchinson 25 saves .893svp
Demko 36 saves .949 - Andersen 27 saves .871svp

The Canucks had godly goaltending, but i'm pretty sure you knew that. 5 on 5 play wasn't even remotely close, canucks had no business being in any of those games they were completely outclassed everywhere except goaltending, as a leafs fan i'm truly jealous of the goaltending the canucks were able to get. Vezina level goaltending for one team during those 4 games, dog shit goaltending for Toronto during those games.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
They need to win all 4 games in hand just to draw even. And even then Montreal would own the tiebreaker (regulation wins).

Also, I think fatigue eventually takes over. The number of games the Canucks play within a short time period is ridiculous.

Not impossible, just not very likely. Montreal would have to go something like 3-10 to end the year for Vancouver to have a good chance. If Montreal's anywhere even close to .500 to end the year (6-6-1, 5-5-3, etc.) and it's almost impossible.

Also going to be really hard without Pettersson.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

The Canucks had godly goaltending, but i'm pretty sure you knew that. 5 on 5 play wasn't even remotely close, canucks had no business being in any of those games they were completely outclassed everywhere except goaltending, as a leafs fan i'm truly jealous of the goaltending the canucks were able to get. Vezina level goaltending for one team during those 4 games, dog shit goaltending for Toronto during those games.
Why didn’t Dubas address goaltending at the deadline? It’s a curious move to spend their 1st on a guy like Foligno — maybe no decent goalies were available? Goaltending looks like it’s gonna be Toronto’s undoing

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Why didn’t Dubas address goaltending at the deadline? It’s a curious move to spend their 1st on a guy like Foligno — maybe no decent goalies were available? Goaltending looks like it’s gonna be Toronto’s undoing

Yup, i'm not too optimistic going into the playoffs with our goalies. Dubas is the ultimate Freddy fanboy/apologist. I hope he's right about him but I highly doubt it. I'm hoping Campbell can go back to being at least average and we'll have a shot, but if our goaltending stays as is ? We might drop to 3rd by the time the playoffs start. Doing almost everything right 5 on 5 but goaltending is just horrendous. The PP is still garbage too.

Reactions: snowkiddin

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016

No, If the Canucks were to draw even on points, they would own the 1st and 2nd tiebreakers.

Playoff odds are at about 20% right now, which seems about fair.

If MTL gets 13 points and ends at 60 (which I think is high given their schedule and recent results/injuries), the Canucks need to go 11-6. Certainly not easy, but not impossible either.

This week will provide a lot of clarity for sure.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Part of me suspects Toronto is just coasting it like how Vancouver was doing it towards 2011. They need to sit out Thornton and Simmonds when Nash and Foglino is able to come in. Goaltending is a tricky beast. Campbell has shown he can be a very decent goaltender and Anderson can still bounce back.

Very reminiscent of 2011 Vancouver in some regards. A team that just wants to make the playoffs, coasting it down the stretch and losing 2 straight against the bottom feeder Oilers (obiously Vancouver was more dominent but still). Can Nash and Foglino replicate the impact Lapierre and Higgins had in the bottom 6? We shall see.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Look at the games on hand they have on Montreal and look at the opponents...4x Sens and look at the history, won 5 in a row against sens. Also look at the Canucks goalie, Demko plus Holtby. Probably the best goalie duo in the North. Also people forget Canucks had a month of layoff that helps to rest physically and rest any injuries. They look to be a much rested team compared to any team in the NHL right now.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017

They have 4 straight games coming against Senators, and 4 games in hand over Montreal. If they manage to win lets say 3 out of 4 against Sens, they are basically 2 points back of Montreal. Of course, if the Sens win that series, they are likely done.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
No, If the Canucks were to draw even on points, they would own the 1st and 2nd tiebreakers.

Playoff odds are at about 20% right now, which seems about fair.

If MTL gets 13 points and ends at 60 (which I think is high given their schedule and recent results/injuries), the Canucks need to go 11-6. Certainly not easy, but not impossible either.

This week will provide a lot of clarity for sure.

People will say the condensed schedule will break them but a month layoff and a condensed schedule that is 17 games long is not going to break the canucks. Plus motte, pettersson, Demko and beagle still have yet to play with possibilities of Lind and Rathbone coming in. They can easily use the taxi squad as a reserve to rotate players in and out. 17 games is not a huge task and they could easily go 11-6 especially when they have 4 against sens and 5 against flames who might be out of playoffs at the end. Thats 9 gimmie games, and then 2 against leafs with their sieve goalies. Its not like Canucks are facing Colorado, so they can win lots of games when Demko and Holtby play great.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Yup, i'm not too optimistic going into the playoffs with our goalies. Dubas is the ultimate Freddy fanboy/apologist. I hope he's right about him but I highly doubt it. I'm hoping Campbell can go back to being at least average and we'll have a shot, but if our goaltending stays as is ? We might drop to 3rd by the time the playoffs start. Doing almost everything right 5 on 5 but goaltending is just horrendous. The PP is still garbage too.
There is no way Leafs go far in playoffs with a crappy goaltending. They should have traded Anderson in off season and signed Markstrom

vanarchy

May 3, 2013

We’ve been hearing this goaltending excuse from you guys for easily over 10 years.

If we had no business winning the games we won then you should fix it already.

Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
when will Pettersson be back?? Hopefully it is soon since we will need him down the stretch. Hope they check out Kole Lind and Rathbone in the mean time.
My guess is EP is done for the season. He is skating, but had has a wrist injury that isn't healing as quickly as hoped. I may be wrong, but I think best case is he is ready to go opening day. Just my 2 cents though, not based on any confirmed reports, just speculation.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021

Whats remarkable is that Canucks beat leafs who used 4 different goalies. So the leafs cant make an excuse regarding a certain goalie being bad against the Canucks as they beat Andersson, Hutchinson, Campbell and Rittich. Leafs would have been better served getting Holtby or Marky, proven goalies with pedigree and some playoff success. Even Marky has more playoff success than all of Torontos goalies combined.

Reactions: snowkiddin

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
People will say the condensed schedule will break them but a month layoff and a condensed schedule that is 17 games long is not going to break the canucks. Plus motte, pettersson, Demko and beagle still have yet to play with possibilities of Lind and Rathbone coming in. They can easily use the taxi squad as a reserve to rotate players in and out. 17 games is not a huge task and they could easily go 11-6 especially when they have 4 against sens and 5 against flames who might be out of playoffs at the end. Thats 9 gimmie games, and then 2 against leafs with their sieve goalies. Its not like Canucks are facing Colorado, so they can win lots of games when Demko and Holtby play great.
We end with 4 of 5 against the Flames. Hopefully it comes down to those games. They will have been eliminated for a few games and hopefully just mail them in.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
We’ve been hearing this goaltending excuse from you guys for easily over 10 years.

If we had no business winning the games we won then you should fix it already.

lol, you telling me you watched that game last night and thought Rittich was good ? Or even average ? :laugh:

10 years..exaggeration much ? 10 years ago canucks fans were rioting, we weren't complaining about having sub .900 save percentage from all 4 goalies back then.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
My guess is EP is done for the season. He is skating, but had has a wrist injury that isn't healing as quickly as hoped. I may be wrong, but I think best case is he is ready to go opening day. Just my 2 cents though, not based on any confirmed reports, just speculation.
Wow that would suck. I wonder if Kole lind can be inserted to play in the top 6. Too bad Podkolzin will not be available to Canucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia