Canadian Division (Canada Cup) Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Imo the only goalie better than a well rested Freddy is Hellebuck.
I don’t think Price is what he once was, and I’m not at all confident in what the Oilers have in goal. It’s just a scenario I can see happening. A rested Freddy comes in, plays great, and the Leafs move on.
You would think, but Andersen has actually never been that good coming off of rest. There is a reason us Leafs fans joke around about "October Freddy".

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
People keep listing Edmonton as supposed goaltending and they ignore the stats. Smith is a vetetan that plays well late in the season. Koskinen sucks no doubt but hes a backup at this point. If we judged a teams goaltending based on backups then Toronto would be considered ECHL level. The Oilers have the second best goaltending in the division whether Smith is considered a legit starter or not, this season he is and the sample size is sufficient enough to make that conclusion.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It’s an interesting wrinkle to the whole story.

Some Sens fans, who are a cynical bunch, thought that it was a bit of an attempt to distract blame away from Dorion’s role in bringing Matt in.

The statement wasn’t exactly warm and fuzzy:

Also, Bierk has a history with DJ Smith whereas Groulx was Boucher’s guy.

But Murray has looked better, so who knows?

It’s hard to think that there would be this kind of impact so quickly, but as you say, I don’t know a lot about the techniques of goalie coaches.

Anecdotally, I think the Sens have moved the puck out of their zone much more quickly with Brannstrom and Mete in place of Gudbranson and Coburn and I think the number of shots against has been lower.

One may have something to do with the other.

McLennan noted during a recent broadcast that Murray seems more square to the shooter since his return, so he's already set when the shot comes and there's less holes to shoot at. Whereas when he was struggling, particularly early in the season, he seemed to be in motion a lot when trying to make a save.

How much of that is simply due to him being "on" right now, and how much of that is Bierk's influence, is anyone's guess.

I did notice that the goals he's being beaten by now are legit shots that are picking the corners or being deflected at the last minute. Earlier on, he seemed to be beaten by shots that were right at the body and he let dribble through between his arms/body or his legs because he wasn't quite square to the shooter.

Reactions: NyQuil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->