Canadian Division (Canada Cup) Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Sounds like Freddy is getting close. If Freddy is ready for the playoffs then the Leafs are my favourites to come out of the division.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Those numbers are meaningless unless you watch the games. Get outta here with that nerd math. They commit so many penalties because they game the system to a point where you really cant call everything so it handcuffs the refs to put the whistle away to a point. They are certaintly the dirtiest team in the North but that does not make them the toughest. They pissed the Oilers off last night and got hammered physically and had no response after the halfway point of the second period.

Jesus, you have no idea how lucky you are you don't have to play Boston if you think the Habs get away with stuff.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I do have a Lanny McDonald voodoo doll, but it’s wearing a Flame’s jersey.
Seriously, don’t you think (if healthy) Freddy is the playoff starter?

Not sure fans want that, but if he's healthy the experts who make the actual decisions probably put him in?

I have no idea. The whole goalie thing is a massive question mark for the Leafs right now, not a good situation.

Reactions: Luckylarry

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Those numbers are meaningless unless you watch the games. Get outta here with that nerd math. They commit so many penalties because they game the system to a point where you really cant call everything so it handcuffs the refs to put the whistle away to a point. They are certaintly the dirtiest team in the North but that does not make them the toughest. They pissed the Oilers off last night and got hammered physically and had no response after the halfway point of the second period.

There only meaningless if you watch the game with blinders. The refs favour the Oilers a lot more than the Habs as you can tell by the penalty minutes each have been accessed.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Defense isn't good enough, but Hellebuyck can bail them out I guess.

Toronto's goaltending is bad, and team defense can still be suspect.

Almost ditto with Edmonton, though Smith is having a great year. (we'll see in the playoffs)

Winnipeg has offense, size & goaltending - though lacks defense as you say. Toronto seems to have trouble with them.

Seems to me from the regular season:

Toronto > Edmonton
Edmonton > Winnipeg
Winnipeg > Toronto

Might come down to the matchup.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
And this might be the only chance we ever get. So for me, as a Leafs fan, I NEED TO SEE THAT!

Leafs vs Oiler, Jets, Canucks..........I'm sorry ok? It's just doesn't have the same appeal as far as anticipation.

Leafs vs Jets could be a good series, one I'd be very very nervous about (same with Habs too)

And yet I think the Leafs worst matchup in the playoffs from the division would be Ottawa.
Yes it seems like everyone has a team that they play extra bad against, and luckily for the Leafs it is Ottawa.

And of course Ottawa is the team that the Oilers play especially great against lol, which is useless for playoffs oh well

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I hate to say it but this all Canadian division is getting boring. I miss the variety and the new faces of playing different teams. For all the media people saying they hope this division continues, I really hope it doesn't. Granted, for this season I give it a pass.

Take away COVID and still keep the North Division, you will still play half your games vs the rest of the league outside the division.

The variety would still be there.

But no worries, they'll more than likely just go back to the way it was when it's safe to do that.

Reactions: shello

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
Take away COVID and still keep the North Division, you will still play half your games vs the rest of the league outside the division.

The variety would still be there.

But no worries, they'll more than likely just go back to the way it was when it's safe to do that.

No doubt. I'm fine with a large part of games versus Canadian clubs but after a bit games get a bit stale. Honestly reminds me a lot of baseball (in the sense of multiple games v same team)

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
No doubt. I'm fine with a large part of games versus Canadian clubs but after a bit games get a bit stale. Honestly reminds me a lot of baseball (in the sense of multiple games v same team)

Fair enough but I'm just pointing out that this is not a normal season. I'm sure you'd feel the same way watching any other division because they're all doing the same thing too.

I personally really enjoying it because I know it's not something that will happen again (if we're lucky)

So I recognize I'm watching a very different, one off version of an NHL season pitting all the Canadian based teams against each other.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Canucks 8 points back
They have 4 games in hand on the habs tho
Crazy

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
Toronto’s goaltending is killing them. They better hope Andersen can get back and find his game or they’ll go nowhere in the playoffs.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Getting tighter and tighter.

what_she_said_office.gif

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
Canucks 8 points back
They have 4 games in hand on the habs tho
Crazy
Is it doable without Pettersson though? Can a 1-2 centre punch of Horvat and Miller really drag the Canucks into the playoffs? Would be pretty remarkable if they could.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
There only meaningless if you watch the game with blinders. The refs favour the Oilers a lot more than the Habs as you can tell by the penalty minutes each have been accessed.
That’s because one team actually tries to play hockey while the other likes to play like my rec league team. Montreal is 19-24 this year, they aren’t a good team even though you spent a bunch of money. Congrats on beating us a few times tho, if that’s what helps you sleep at night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad